Please Explain: A question to the board

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
The Silvertails website is nearly 6 years old and in that time has grown to become the largest (some might say only) unofficial fan site and forum for Manly Sea Eagles fans.

The site was born amongst the darkest days of the club's history, where weekly floggings were commonplace but during the site's genesis one consistent highlight has been the steady rebuilding of the club under coach Des Hasler, and more recently the administrative excellence of Grant Mayer.

In terms of performance, both men would have to be amongst the most successful in the NRL in their fields:
# Hasler took the club over at its lowest ebb and without a full roster of players - left to sign the scraps from other clubs.
# Hasler and his staff patiently implemented a five year plan that culminated in a record margin Grand Final win just a few short months ago.
# This five year plan has been aided and abetted by the administrative steadiness bought to the club by Mayer that most recently has seen Manly the most sponsored Sydney club, all against a background of unprecedented recession where other Sydney clubs can't even secure a jersey sponsor.
#

Mayer and staff have played the Sydney media to an extent where the poison directed Manly way during the bitter Super League war is almost a distant memory.  This aspect is not to be underestimated as good media management results in exposure, dollars and goodwill.
When Manly romped their way to the 2008 Premiership the players consistently payed homage to Manly fans as instrumental in their success.  Fans were left in little doubt that they were seen as an important part of the club's success,

A fortnight ago it would have seemed inconceivable to the rank and file Manly supporter that Hasler's consistent loyalty and Premiership success would be mocked with a paltry one year extension or that Mayer, on the cusp of announcing millions in sponsorship would be removed from the CEO position.

If fans are so important to the club's success, and if the majority are expressing bemusement at the way the Board has voted to remove Mayer and insult Hasler, surely they are owed a simple explanation?

If there are good reasons for what has happened, come out and say it.  Continued stony silence does nothing but breed innuendo and give credence to those that say internal agendas will de-rail our Premiership defense before it has even begun.

In short, would the five people responsible for the recent night of long knives please explain, and soon.

We at silvertails encourage all those who hold football club membership to agitate for an explanation.

http://www.silvertails.net/news/3510-please-explain-a-question-to-the-board

Great notice Dan.

I would like to know some of the following?

Why it was generally well known a day or two before a meeting that Mayer was going to be axed?

Why did Bob Reilly (Chair of football club) send out a letter commending Mayer but his own board reps chose not to renew his contract?

Why did Max commend Mayer in the media a few days before knifing him? Was he lying?

Why did Max tell the media that he did not owe Manly a cent and then less than four days later pay a check, admitting it was an oversight?

What is the full story of the failed development of the Leagues Club site?

Is the rumour that a few long time club members, miffed with Mayer as they are not treated like royalty, have been in board members ears?

Is Mayer doing the wrong thing by the Football team or the agendas of board members?

Is Max somehow miffed that his sponsorship has ended without due credit??

What are we not being told?

I have a question too
Are any of the board members really passionate about the Manly rugby league team the way we are ?

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
I have a question too
Are any of the board members really passionate about the Manly rugby league team the way we are ?

BE - which board are you referring to?
The Football club board includes such people as Kerry Sibraa, Peter O'Dwyer and Geoff Toovey - I'd be very surprised if anyone thought that they didn't have a passion for the club, it's players and it's future John?

Canteen Worker are you a FC member?

Dan - night of the long knives is a tad sensational....

Des got a 1 year extension on top of the 2 years he still has on his contract - In this current economic climate there are many that would love to be assured of still having a job for the next 3 years.

The KPI's that everyone is banging on about were not linked to on-field preformance they were linked to budgetary and similar aspects of his role (sound business practise especially when the club runs on the smell of a oily rag)

Grant wasn't "sacked" and still has the option to stay on subject to some criteria to be met - again sound business practise.

Let's see what the letter brings....

All you goons jumping on the directors heads, remember they got us to where we are now;  Premiers with an excellent chance of going back to back.  Just settle the **** down and see what transpires.  Mata, just go to work and make some pizzas, and Canteen, get of the fence and into the classroom.   

vidmar link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=179242.msg207888#msg207888 date=1235325564]
I have a question too

Dan - night of the long knives is a tad sensational....

Des got a 1 year extension on top of the 2 years he still has on his contract - In this current economic climate there are many that would love to be assured of still having a job for the next 3 years.

The KPI's that everyone is banging on about were not linked to on-field preformance they were linked to budgetary and similar aspects of his role (sound business practise especially when the club runs on the smell of a oily rag)

Grant wasn't "sacked" and still has the option to stay on subject to some criteria to be met - again sound business practise.

Let's see what the letter brings....

[/quote]

Mate, sensationalising things, brings comment, comment brings visitors, visitors build the site and so on.

As for Mayer, the way it has been reported and the way that it was told by Delmege, was that Mayers contract will not be extended beyond next year, KPI's or none!

Personally I have no real issues with KPI's I as most people in business work to them, and meeting them puts an extra 10% in my pocket each year too :)

Of all things, my "gripe", for lack of a better word, is the FC reps voting as they did, when it is clear from all the outcry that very few agree with the decision. Personally i am not an FC member, so there is little I can really expect, but its still something I believe should be publicly answered

"all the outcry', c'mon Dan, it's only Matabele and a few of his penis holders. They'll settle down when the customers come through the door.

DSM5 link said:
\"all the outcry', c'mon Dan, it's only Matabele and a few of his penis holders. They'll settle down when the customers come through the door.

It's far more than that, and far more than on this site

Oh you do go on Dan.  Just put down the pen and relax.  Deep breath now.  Good.  Berkley, my passions bigger than your passion, if that's what your questioning.  Canteen you should have been a cop with the amount of questions you ask.  What is it with teachers? 'What are we not being told'?  My guess is everything, and it's because we're little people without any power.  Get it!  no power.  If you have some spare millions around, purchase some of the club and then you'll be in there and have your answers.  Until then, just calm the **** down, sit on the fence and enjoy our great clubs victories.     

DSM5 link said:
Oh you do go on Dan.  Just put down the pen and relax.  Deep breath now.  Good.  Berkley, my passions bigger than your passion, if that's what your questioning.  Canteen you should have been a cop with the amount of questions you ask.  What is it with teachers? 'What are we not being told'?  My guess is everything, and it's because we're little people without any power.  Get it!  no power.  If you have some spare millions around, purchase some of the club and then you'll be in there and have your answers.  Until then, just calm the F**k down, sit on the fence and enjoy our great clubs victories.     

So what you are saying is "Don't fight the man"

That's a bit defeatist

Dan, factions have been fighting on boards since the beginning of time.  Manly's current stoush is no different.  As I've said until I'm sick of it, this will blow over and the footie team will win this years GF.  'Fighting the Man' is easy, 'fighting the good fight' is more difficult.  Picking the 'good man' in the 'good fight' is the tricky bit.  Without being a fly on the wall in the boardroom we, on the outside, fly blind and are easily manipulated into seeing what we want to see.  Am I defeatist? Who do I want defeated? No and noone is the answer.  The board with its factions will go on, arguing, having its successes and failures, seeing of CEOs and coaches, but in the end the team is all I care about.  Do I have a preference in this current imbroglio? Sure, Max is the saviour and I'm old school, so I'll stick to what I know.  And I'll have lots of fun defending my position.           

No questions to the Penns at all in this lot ?

1 question I would like to ask them is why they thought it appropriate to get this all aired out in public, starting the public attack on Delmege, and although not proven, looking like they have had Zorba leaking info through to the papers for quite a while

Personally, I am on neither side in this debate, and like DSMs view of just getting on and watching the footy

The one thing that has amazed me on this board however, is the portrayal of the Penns as Saints, and Delmege as the devil. Neither are squeaky clean in this whole debacle imo, but 1 side is being made out to be ...

Kiwi Eagle link said:
No questions to the Penns at all in this lot ?

1 question I would like to ask them is why they thought it appropriate to get this all aired out in public, starting the public attack on Delmege, and although not proven, looking like they have had Zorba leaking info through to the papers for quite a while

Personally, I am on neither side in this debate, and like DSMs view of just getting on and watching the footy

The one thing that has amazed me on this board however, is the portrayal of the Penns as Saints, and Delmege as the devil. Neither are squeaky clean in this whole debacle imo, but 1 side is being made out to be ...
I could ask the Penns, why did you support Mayer when the others decided to let him go?

Why did you choose to answer the questions the media asked at the press conference for the launch of the new sponsorship secured by Grant Mayer?

Why are the staff of the club so disappointed that the board has taken steps not to renew Grant Mayer's contract?

Why do you think many fans are so up in arms about the board meeing and decisions made?

Why did you choose to reveal that Max Delmege and the Football Club owed money to Manly Warringah Ltd?

In the end to me, these guys seem to have acted by what is best for Manly instead of what was best for certain individuals. Unwise maybe but who knows whether they had their reasons.

Yes Canteen, get that easily earned 25 bucks out now.  And sign the kids up too, more votes for your Penn faction.   And no one has answered my big question.  What's the breakfast like at the club?   

Never been to breakfast at the club. I won't sign the kids up and I will vote on what I personally think is the best approach rather than with any faction or under instruction from anyone, thanks.

I think we need to read the letter that's coming, most (if not all) of the questions will be answered. in the meantime let's settle and get back to football.

I wonder how Bailey went in the UK???

Snippy??? I am responding to suggestions that to express the view I have aired is to be part of a faction or hanging onto others coat-tails. Nope - and I am attempting to debate the issues rather than the man (unlike on the other thread). I genuinely liked the metaphor!!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6