PM's XIII Withstand PNG Comeback

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
PM's XIII Withstand PNG Comeback
Written by: CobyDelaney
Sep 26, 2010 10:52pm

The ARL Prime Minister's XIII have tonight held off a spirited fight back from the PNG Kumuls, to defeat them 30-18 at Lloyd Robson Oval in Port Moresby today.

In front of over 10,000 fanatical rugby league supporters, the PM's XIII struggled to make inroads early in the match. Strong and physical Kumul's defense allowed the visitors only one try in the first half, through Ben Smith, and the PM's XIII side went to the break leading 4-0.

However the half time breather helped the PM's XIII, crossing the line twice in quick succession, early in the second half. Cronulla prop Luke Douglas' hard running was rewarded, and shortly after, a piece of Akuila Uate determination saw the PM's XIII score their third.

The Kumuls challenged the PM's XIII late in the game, through two tries to brutal backrower Nickson Kolo and one to Glenn Nami, however it wasn't to be, as the PM's XIII scored three late tries of their own. Chris Sandow and Willie Tonga both touched down for four-pointers, while Kade Snowden also scored under the posts nearing fulltime.

Both sides spent time thanking local volunteers and community groups who participate in the fight against HIV. Players also got amongst the community, raising awareness of these important issues.

The PNG side will be looking to take their bruising defence, and build on their performance in next month's Four Nations Tournament. PM's XIII Captain, Corey Parker, believes the Kumuls should not be taken lightly, especially if they bring their "outstanding" defence from early in the game.

Players from the PM's XIII side, however, were using the game to push for further representative honours, with all players eligible to be selected for Australia in the Four Nations.

ARL Prime Ministers XIII 30
Tries: Ben Smith, Akuila Uate, Chris Sandow, Willie Tonga, Kade Snowden, Luke Douglas
Goals: Corey Parker 2, James Maloney

def.

PNG Kumuls 18
Tries: Nickson Kolo 2, Glenn Nami
Goals: Ryan Tongia 3

Now you see why players like Bailey were selected. No one wanted the game to be a blow out to the Aussies, not good for the future of PNG RL. They need to show their country they are closing the gap and becoming somewhat competitive.

Hang on....I thought that Chris Bailey thread in the Prime Ministers XIII was a joke? Is someone geeing me up here, or am I a REALLY bas judge of ability (I realise that last sentence could open up a pandora's box !!) ?

Bailey did play in the PM XIII.
Put in perspective WAMF,the Kumuls still have players coming over from England and not to mention that Stanley Gene only recently took the reigns of the coach. In saying that I don't expect them to win a game during the 4 Nations but just be competitive for the majority of the game/s. 

This is where we should be expanding to.  A PNG and a Central Coast side.

also as well as the four nations we shoul;d hold a pacific islands comp including the Moaroi, PNG, Tonga etc

if that nickson kolo is so punishing why dont we sign him  on 55k, give us some needed thrust off the bench  nxt yr ..
like wam said i agree it`s a better result for PNG than it is for PMXIII..

for a start they should have been up by more before halftime & PNG  should have only got a consolation try late in the game.. not a bad result for them ..

What makes you think he'd play for 55k?
What makes you think we have 55k in our cap?
(What makes you think we have 55k?)
Did you see that match, I could not find it on tele anywhere..??

eagle-rock08 link said:
This is where we should be expanding to.  A PNG and a Central Coast side.

also as well as the four nations we shoul;d hold a pacific islands comp including the Moaroi, PNG, Tonga etc

They played a Pacific Islands comp last year the winner got into this year's 4 Nations. They are playing the same style comp over in Europe to determine the 4th Nation for next year's 4 Nation.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
What makes you think he'd play for 55k?
What makes you think we have 55k in our cap?
(What makes you think we have 55k?)
Did you see that match, I could not find it on tele anywhere..??
HE WOULD PLAY FOR 55K  ITS THE NRL  THATS THIER DREAM to play in the nrl.. he would probably never see 55k in his life over in PNG..  we must have 55k  SER8  lol..

you go back to the 90`s we could make 3 aussie teams  & not 1 of the other countries would have even come close  to us,

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6