Points will come

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
So much talk about players attack being OFF - Stewart, DCE (earlier)
The thing is the number 1 area that needed to tighten up was the defensive line, which has a way to go, but improved in line speed, numbers tempo & most importantly - attitude.
The dominance in the middle is also on show, to give that extra time & space.
The attack will continue to improve with time adjusting to new combinations...there is loads of room to improve here no doubt.
For those worried about these blokes too old, slow, out of form ect...the points will come, on the back of defence & basic footy...the boys have too much pride to embarrass themselves if they are past it.
We all want some more amazing tries & fancy footy but this will come...always a case of the building blocks first, which is coming together well in a short time...the points are soon going to flow at this rate.

Defence did improve, less bracing and sitting back that is for sure, it was the best performance and had a play for each other feel about it which is encouraging.

In saying that we had a lot go our way and the Warriors played appalling, yes in some part due to our efforts but a large part was due to the Warriors ill discipline and a general lack of intensity that i don't believe was related to our better performance in a huge way.

So much talk about players attack being OFF - Stewart, DCE (earlier)
The thing is the number 1 area that needed to tighten up was the defensive line, which has a way to go, but improved in line speed, numbers tempo & most importantly - attitude.
The dominance in the middle is also on show, to give that extra time & space.
The attack will continue to improve with time adjusting to new combinations...there is loads of room to improve here no doubt.
For those worried about these blokes too old, slow, out of form ect...the points will come, on the back of defence & basic footy...the boys have too much pride to embarrass themselves if they are past it.
We all want some more amazing tries & fancy footy but this will come...always a case of the building blocks first, which is coming together well in a short time...the points are soon going to flow at this rate.

Way too much sense in your post mate.
I just hope the fringe players are ready to step up when called upon. ( we should have a pretty good origin period though so only injuries to cover).

Defence did improve, less bracing and sitting back that is for sure, it was the best performance and had a play for each other feel about it which is encouraging.

In saying that we had a lot go our way and the Warriors played appalling, yes in some part due to our efforts but a large part was due to the Warriors ill discipline and a general lack of intensity that i don't believe was related to our better performance in a huge way.

Pretty fair calls to a degree TC.....still have the feel that its imperative to start well against NZ & the boys did that, as NZ are more a Jeckyl/Hyde outfit than most in the NRL.
I do agree they fell flat & were mistake ridden at times, but if Manly don't turn up with the intensity early & set the tempo, the Warriors lift to a different opposition....they run harder, hit harder, push up more in support player & generally perform at a far higher level.

Pretty fair calls to a degree TC.....still have the feel that its imperative to start well against NZ & the boys did that, as NZ are more a Jeckyl/Hyde outfit than most in the NRL.
I do agree they fell flat & were mistake ridden at times, but if Manly don't turn up with the intensity early & set the tempo, the Warriors lift to a different opposition....they run harder, hit harder, push up more in support player & generally perform at a far higher level.
Totally agree but a more disciplined mentally strong side would of withstood our improved first 15-20mins not break down to a complete rubble.

Manly did improve and gave themselves a better shot at victory with the greatly improved first 20mins---which is our biggest weak point in relation to containing fresh mobile size and power packs that set the platform and put us on the back foot for the rest of the match.

2nd man plays need to be sharper, too often the show to the lead runner is held back way too long, so when the lead runner passes by or is at the point of not receiving the ball there is too much delay getting it to the second man, it becomes even more telegraphed than it already is anyway.

This is the art and beauty of what Foran does, he takes it to the line and the lead runner still becomes an option---even though he would rarely use it.

The issue is compounded even more if your forwards are not dominating and punching through.

None of our spreads are of any quality to break through a set composed defensive structure--- the obvious playing well before the line just for the sake of ball movement (mentioned in a previous post also) is way too basic predictable and safe unless we create fast play the balls and get one on one plays with space against a retreating defensive line.

I always expected the attack to struggle and it is asking way too much to expect the high level of intricate elaborate plays of the past with skilled ball players so not trying to be negative.

What i would like to see and have stated for years is variation off the inside shoulder in all team structures---too often you go left it keeps going left you go right it keeps going right.

Showing to the outside early straightening up which sucks in both hip defenders and passing off the inside hip is very much under utilized---it's about time they had Matai as an option power play up the middle.

You can add simple variations so the damaging lead runner of Matai becomes the decoy and play an inside second man. These kinds of play suits Api's style, short variations off either hip as he is a show and go with sharpness player.

I have also mentioned for years that the telegraphed 2nd man play can have more variations from all clubs----the telegraphing and over copied structure of second man plays offers a huge possibility of creating openings by adding your own twist.

Using the second man not as a receiver but a decoy(or point of defensive focus), or setting up a wide sweep for the standard second man play hittting the second man then tapping the ball back inside.(takes good timing though and space)

There was a play i think it was in the second half where the second man play was used and Lyon was trying to get himself involved in some capacity and just made it to the inside shoulder of Walker from the opposite side of the field. With a tired defence he could actually hit an inside hole off a tap back or short ball when teams start to over-read the sweep or get lazy on the inside.

Really liking the danger element Walker brings to that left edge, though until attack becomes more fluent, the outside men appear at times starved of quality ball...thing is Walker will improve & being that speedy half will tend to drift a little sideways, dummy & then step back in....as in his 2 tries in 2016....maybe when DCE glides left off the ball to that left side, it will add another dimension to Walker who is still adjusting big time to his passing game....yes he is a running half, but there becomes far more options with added variation than a catch & run game.
Foran has the ability to play direct & straighten his runners into holes with the best of them & have noticed to preserve his career, BA has him passing before the line instead of ALWAYS at the line where he was in danger of being whacked out of the game.
The outside Manly attack has suffered in times from too much lateral passing & running which was Forans strength, straightening the attack early to give his runners space & when the ballplayer plays direct, its far more likely the runners also run sharper lines adding far more pressure to the opposition defence.
Still great to see Manly winning footy games with SO much improvement left, as have got results without utilising much of the potential that is there.....& fact is, the ugly stuff always comes first to build the foundations - playing pretty without earning the right is a recipe for disaster.

We scored five tries, but most of them were though Worriers errors or individual effort, rather than our brilliant teamwork. While a try is worth the same points regardless of how it is scored, I've yet to see much attacking flair this season.
I still believe all teams err by not using a scrum win to try something different. All you get is the first-receiver trying to crash through a defensive forward stationed in the backline. Let's try a kick over the top, as the defensive fullback is always in the line.

We scored five tries, but most of them were though Worriers errors or individual effort, rather than our brilliant teamwork. While a try is worth the same points regardless of how it is scored, I've yet to see much attacking flair this season.
I still believe all teams err by not using a scrum win to try something different. All you get is the first-receiver trying to crash through a defensive forward stationed in the backline. Let's try a kick over the top, as the defensive fullback is always in the line.
Individual effort mate that's every teams score points all points come for team work that's how you get down one end of the field! Our attack is as good as anyone's atm but It's our defence winning us games atm

Really liking the danger element Walker brings to that left edge, though until attack becomes more fluent, the outside men appear at times starved of quality ball...thing is Walker will improve & being that speedy half will tend to drift a little sideways, dummy & then step back in....as in his 2 tries in 2016....maybe when DCE glides left off the ball to that left side, it will add another dimension to Walker who is still adjusting big time to his passing game....yes he is a running half, but there becomes far more options with added variation than a catch & run game.
Foran has the ability to play direct & straighten his runners into holes with the best of them & have noticed to preserve his career, BA has him passing before the line instead of ALWAYS at the line where he was in danger of being whacked out of the game.
The outside Manly attack has suffered in times from too much lateral passing & running which was Forans strength, straightening the attack early to give his runners space & when the ballplayer plays direct, its far more likely the runners also run sharper lines adding far more pressure to the opposition defence.
Still great to see Manly winning footy games with SO much improvement left, as have got results without utilising much of the potential that is there.....& fact is, the ugly stuff always comes first to build the foundations - playing pretty without earning the right is a recipe for disaster.
As soon as commentators or fans start labeling a half or 5/8 "a running half or 5/8" it basically means his passing game is average at best.

If the NRL speed the game up, reduce all the stoppages keep reducing the interchange yes these type of players make an impact but i'm never really a fan of a half or 5/8 until they can ball play with confidence.

If you man up one on one take away the short options with tight defence and just force them to either pass long or step back inside they tend to be very easy to contain in the long run.

If this type of player becomes the norm you know the standard of footy has dropped and the game has become too quick.

Last edited:
From the limited highlights i have seen of Foran at Parra if he is playing more central like a half naturally he is going to be passing the ball earlier unless he is taking the line on to make a break so i don't think it is BA telling him to do so.

As soon as commentators or fans start labeling a half or 5/8 "a running half or 5/8" it basically means his passing game is average at best.

If NRL speed the game up, reduce all the stoppages keep reducing the interchange yes these type of players make an impact but i'm never really a fan of a half or 5/8 until they can ball play with confidence.

If you man up one on one take away the short options with tight defence and just force them to either pass long or step back inside they tend to be very easy to contain in the long run.

If this type of player becomes the norm you know the standard of footy has dropped and the game has become too quick.

That's the point though - Walker is a natural runner of the football & in the modern game - one of the best weapons you can have....once Manly can gain quicker play the balls - not simply from a big man landing on elbows & knee's, but also a few tip on's with the forwards running in pairs & bending the line.
His pass selection will improve but he is not by design, an organiser & never will be - so play his trump card - a danger man on the edges who will murder tired defenders as the season progresses.
If he tweaks his attacking game to gain more options, his run will benefit again through the season.
As with Foran - playing before the line more than at the line.....maybe he is doing this himself, or BA has addressed it as an issue, after some heavy knocks that have crippled his efforts in recent seasons....
These back rowers on the edges at times have 1 thing in mind - bash the ball player....as Maloney will testify.
Foran has courage , but only so much a body can take - some games at Manly I was surprised he was able to carry on after some of the shots he took holding the ball up till that last moment.

That's the point though - Walker is a natural runner of the football & in the modern game - one of the best weapons you can have....once Manly can gain quicker play the balls - not simply from a big man landing on elbows & knee's, but also a few tip on's with the forwards running in pairs & bending the line.
His pass selection will improve but he is not by design, an organiser & never will be - so play his trump card - a danger man on the edges who will murder tired defenders as the season progresses.
If he tweaks his attacking game to gain more options, his run will benefit again through the season.
As with Foran - playing before the line more than at the line.....maybe he is doing this himself, or BA has addressed it as an issue, after some heavy knocks that have crippled his efforts in recent seasons....
These back rowers on the edges at times have 1 thing in mind - bash the ball player....as Maloney will testify.
Foran has courage , but only so much a body can take - some games at Manly I was surprised he was able to carry on after some of the shots he took holding the ball up till that last moment.
Forans performance will suffer as a result of playing on his weaker passing side more on the right for Parra but it is a testament to him to take the challenge on as i doubt Norman has enough ball-playing ability on his right side and is very much a one sided player.(at the moment)

The try Foran scored digging in behind the ruck, attacking the right edge will give him confidence.
Foran was used often both sides 1 & 2 off....what he does very well is straightens the attack & gets his team playing direct.
This along with toughness & top shelf competitive nature is his trump card, hope Jake axes him a few times along with Kapow...who I think is saving his best hits as the season builds.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7