Poor Norths

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Norths' centenary celebrations a washout
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Ray Chesterton

February 08, 2008 12:00am

A CENTURY later and North Sydney still can't get a break.

A thunderstorm unleashed a downpour yesterday that would have daunted Noah, drowning Norths' outdoor celebrations of their 100th year.

As a few dignitaries huddled in doorways to try to avoid the all-pervasive rain, North Sydney mayor Genia McCaffery unveiled a plaque to commemorate the occasion.

Then, in manifestly unsuitable weather, there was a ceremonial cutting of the cake.

A tempest on such an emotive occasion continues the quirkiness that so often beset Norths after they joined eight other clubs to form the premiership in 1908.

On grand final day 1943 Norths were tipped to beat Newtown until their star player Harry Taylor went missing just before kickoff.

He'd been sent by the army to Queensland. Disoriented Norths lost 34-7.

Norths supporters know the hard-luck tales but with commendable resilience stayed strong until finance forced the club out of first grade in 1999.

Norths' highlight was winning the 1921-22 premierships. It was a long time between drinks after that until yesterday. If you like rainwater.

smiley_lol.gif

You seem very interested in stories about Norths CW.  Sounds like you might be a closet Norths supporter finally outling yourself.  ;D

If you get along to bear park on Sunday you can play tag with some of the true legends of the game - Jason Taylor, Les Kiss, David Fairleigh, Michael Buettner, Matt Seers, Josh Stuart, Mark Cannon, Gavin Jones, David Peachey and Greg Florimo.

Maybe you can take along your Manly superstar player Scott Fulton as I am sure that he would like to play tag against Josh Stuart. 

Besides a tour of the norths dressing room I have heard that there will be a surprise tour of the North trophy room as well. :D

BEARS ON SHOW AT CENTENARY FAN DAY
2nd February 2008
By Steve Little

The North Sydney Bears have fired the starting gun on their Centenary celebrations with a well supported display at the Harvey Norman Fan Day on Saturday.
Right slam dunk in the middle of stalls from fellow foundation clubs Newtown, Balmain & Western Suburbs and all 16 NRL clubs, the stall received a sizeable patronage over a 5 hour period.

Draped in red & black by supporters Ros Dare and Ken McLoughlin, the stall featured information on the Club including up coming matches and membership information, as well as the sale of raffle tickets for a Bears supporters pack - the lucky winner being Brendan Junge.

Fans from all clubs were also asked to pledge their support for a Bears NRL franchise by signing a petition throughout the day.

Special Thanks to volunteers Ros Dare, Ken McLoughlin, Matt Girvan and Curtis Johnston for manning the stall.

The Bears next Centenary event will be the marking of the Club’s inaugural meeting which occurred on 7th February 1908. This event is to be held this Thursday the 7th of February in the Mount Street Mall in the heart of North Sydney. This location is only a grubber kick away from the original North Sydney School of Arts, where a public meeting initiated the birth of the Bears and North Sydney Mayor and ex Bears Captain Jason Taylor will be on hand to pay their respects.

“It’s an important event for the North Sydney Club and for the history of Rugby League in this country” claims North Sydney Legend & General Manager Greg Florimo.

“Together with our fellow foundation Clubs our founding fathers paved the way for what is now the dominant sport on the East Coast of Australia. It’s a tribute to the spirit and dedication of the people that have contributed to the Club over the past 100 years.”

The following Sunday the Bears will throw open the gates of North Sydney Oval to fans in a free open birthday bash, that will also give fans a chance to have a game of tag footy with some of the great legends of the past such as Jason Taylor, Les Kiss, David Fairleigh, Michael Buettner, Matt Seers, Josh Stuart, Mark Cannon, Gavin Jones, David Peachey and Greg Florimo.

“The old Bears crew are fired up” says Flo. “It’s been a while for some of the boys so match day nerves could unsettle them – you never can tell. We are also opening up the change sheds to the public with a historic display and there will be plenty of other activities on the day to satisfy the biggest Bear’s appetite”.

CLICK HERE for more details about your chance to play tag with the legends.

Entry on Sunday at North Sydney Oval will be free with the festivities to start at 11am, and finish at around 3pm.

EVENT DETAILS

Marking of Inaugural Meeting of the NSDRLFC
Date: Thursday 7th February 2008
Time: 1:00 p.m.

Birthday Celebration Open Day
Date: 10th February 2008
Time: 11:00 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Location: North Sydney Oval, Miller Street, Cammeray, Sydney, NSW

Closet supporter of Norths. No, emphatically not. I like them merely for the guaranteed four points per season. I feel sorry for them too, just like I feel sorry for John Howard, even though that word is not in his vocab. :)

Ryan link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=176888.msg177676#msg177676 date=1202549315]
Where is that clap emoticon when one needs it???

I suggest you check between your legs when next in the shower  ;)
[/quote] :D :D :D :D :D

Poor Norths, luckily their supporters club were meeting in the phone box outside Percys & lissed the rain.  Apart from the tour of the trophy room I hear the highlight of the day was the parade of Norths players on the ground.  Apparently when they said over the loud speaker if all players can go onto the ground for the starting positions they all lined up behind the goal posts.

I say the rain was old fashioned justice and a true reflection of their standing in the world of RL.

Sorry I couldn't find the appropriate emotion that shows me rolling around on the ground laughing

The Wheel link said:
Poor Norths, luckily their supporters club were meeting in the phone box outside Percys & lissed the rain.  Apart from the tour of the trophy room I hear the highlight of the day was the parade of Norths players on the ground.  Apparently when they said over the loud speaker if all players can go onto the ground for the starting positions they all lined up behind the goal posts.

I say the rain was old fashioned justice and a true reflection of their standing in the world of RL.

Sorry I couldn't find the appropriate emotion that shows me rolling around on the ground laughing

Not sure where you were yesterday afternoon wheel (probably at the leagues club putting hats into supporters kits when there should have been back packs and vica versa.  It would have been lonely at the leagues club as you would be their only customer) but it was nice and sunny at NSO.  

Quite approrpriate when the clouds parted and the sun came out at 11.00 pm yesterday and stayed sunny for the rest of the day.  Not a drop of rain yesterday at NSO.  A bit like the second comming of the bears.

By the way were you rolling around laughing like you used to do with R Richards and M Curran?  With the price of flour these days I am sure you wouldn't be laughing.

Hats / Backpacks - who WOULDN'T confuse the two?

That said, Wheel may have had a real excuse. There was an amazing red glow coming off the back of his neck, and his vision may have hindered.

Here we have Ryan, supposedly the most diehard of Norths supporters, and I bet he didn't even turn up to celebrate their ignomity.

I am sure it was a great day, the thousands of fans who turned up would put traffic into gridlock in North Sydney.  I couldn't believe how many pages woas devoted to the celebratiion in the Telegraph & SMH, also I got sick of the coverage on Fox Sports - a great day in the anals of RL history.  They will still be talking about it at the 200th party.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The Wheel link said:
I am sure it was a great day, the thousands of fans who turned up would put traffic into gridlock in North Sydney.  I couldn't believe how many pages woas devoted to the celebratiion in the Telegraph & SMH, also I got sick of the coverage on Fox Sports - a great day in the anals of RL history.  They will still be talking about it at the 200th party.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Just to make sure that you fit into the next Norths centenary day wheel here are the words to a few famous songs that you might like to learn

'The Mighty Bears'

The song starts with a military drum beat and everyone chants....

Here Come The Bears!
Here Come The Bears!
Here Come The Bears!

(then everybody goes Whoooa!)

Stand aside, here come the Mighty Bears
Stand aside or we'll crush you where you stand
The power and the glory is in our hand!

Stand aside or we'll tear you apart
We've got victory in our heart!

Stand aside, here comes the Mighty Bears

(everyone chants)
Here Come The Bears!
Here Come The Bears!
Here Come The Bears!

(then everybody goes Whoooa! into the key change)

Stand Aside, here come the Mighty Bears
Stand Aside, here come the Mighty, Mighty Bears!

'The Big Black Bears'

The Big Black Bears are back on the road again
Back on the road again
Back on the road again
We've had a victory now.

We've had a victory now!
We've had a victory now!

We've had a victory now.

(Dixieland band instrumental)

We've had a victory now!
We've had a victory now!

And we've...had a victory.. now!!

:D

tookey link said:
[quote author=The Wheel link=topic=176888.msg177738#msg177738 date=1202767079]

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Just to make sure that you fit into the next Norths centenary day wheel here are the words to a few famous songs that you might like to learn

'The Mighty Bears'

The song starts with a military drum beat and everyone chants....

Here Come The Bears!
Here Come The Bears!
Here Come The Bears!

(then everybody goes Whoooa!)

Stand aside or we'll crush you where you stand
The power and the glory is in our hand!

Stand aside or we'll tear you apart
We've got victory in our heart!

(everyone chants)
Here Come The Bears!
Here Come The Bears!
Here Come The Bears!

(then everybody goes Whoooa! into the key change)

Stand Aside, here come the Mighty, Mighty Bears!

'The Big Black Bears'

Back on the road again
Back on the road again
We've had a victory now.

We've had a victory now!
We've had a victory now!

We've had a victory now.

(Dixieland band instrumental)

We've had a victory now!
We've had a victory now!

And we've...had a victory.. now!!

:D
[/quote]

It must have stirred the heart when the strains of that ditty swept over the deserted surrounds of North Sydney Oval once each year. 

Matabele link said:
Here we have Ryan, supposedly the most diehard of Norths supporters, and I bet he didn't even turn up to celebrate their ignomity.

I'm actually "the most diehard MANLY supporter" Mata, sorry to dissapoint. That said, if the Bears were still around, and never dissolved, I would be supporting them. To clarify your next question, if they came back in the future, I would STILL support Manly. It's the Eagles, now, and forever as far as I'm concerned.

2 songs, 33 lines in total, 9 of which are different. About as creative as a North Sydney halves pairing.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2