Positions Positions Positions

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
This article raises some questions now dont it.

1) I am aware that some will say Kite was average-awful at Saints in the 2nd row but does anyone have any real knowledge & stats of how Kite really performed or is it all anecdotal ?

2) If Kite does play in the back row alongside Stewy2 then where does Choc go to ? The bench with Beaver as lock ?

3) Is Des going to surprise us with new tactics ? And is this supposed rotational "horses for courses" change with Kite a good idea or bad ?

Unleash the beasts
JOHN GRECO Manly Daily
12 March 2008
THE Sea Eagles are set to unleash all three of their representative props in the starting line-up to counter the Sharks monster pack for Saturday night's opening round NRL clash at Brookvale Oval.
Manly coach Des Hasler last night named a predictable squad of 17 to host Cronulla.
Australian fullback Brett Stewart will play after overcoming off-season knee surgery.
Newcastle recruit Josh Perry is also there, named on the bench with Jason King and Brent Kite picked in the starting line-up.
But when Manly's entire squad split into opposing teams at training yesterday morning, all three front-rowers ran together with Kite appearing to run at second-row.
"Yeah, K-Man (Kite) is going to move in and help us out," fellow second-rower Glenn Stewart said after training.
"I don't know the reasoning behind it but I'm happy to have him next to me for sure. A bit of extra size in the side can't hurt."
Hasler gave nothing away when asked about the training formation. "It was just a quick play after the weekend off," he said.
But Hasler did concede he could introduce a rotation policy, or a "horses for courses" system based on their weekly opposition.
"It's something we can probably use," he said.
Adding further mystery and intrigue to Manly's impressive looking starting pack was Kite's belief he would start alongside King.

"I'm going to start in the front-rower, we trialled that way," Kite, who played in the second-row for St George/Illawarra before his move to Manly, said.
"Obviously Josh will be pushing hard for a starting spot at some time this year.
"Me and Kingy worked well last year and hopefully that can continue this year."

Hooker Matt Ballin won the other contentious position at No 9, ahead of Heath L'Estrange with popular winger Michael Bani taking over from Chris Hicks on the flanks.
Captain Matt Orford said the Sharks' pack will be confronting.
"They are going to be really hard and have a lot of size there," Orford said.

"We pride ourselves on playing at Brookie and want it to become a nightmare for visiting teams.
"We are not going to hold back and we'll make it a hard night for the Sharks."
But Orford warned it will take time before his combination with Ballin clicks following the departure of Michael Monaghan.

"It's going to take a few games but I played a few games with Matty last year, so it's just those little calls that Monners and I had," the skipper said.

We really need Watmough to stand up early this year and give Bird a really hard time. He needs to be there every time Bird gets the ball.

I'm surprised the International 5/8, coached by the same coach, has to play back row after Brett Seymour gets the nod.

Weird.

If Kite is 2nd row, wouldn't Choc be next to him & Stewy2 at lock with Beaver on the bench ?

The year Kite broke into Origin with the Dragqueens he was alternating between front and second row successfully.  If anything, back then, he was a better 2nd rower but he has bulked up quite a bit since.  He has speed and agility so should go okay there. 

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8