Post-Premiership complacency

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
We really cannot be satisfied with a record-winning margin in tonight's Grand Final.  Recent history is littered with examples of clubs that have tasted Premiership success before becoming virtually immediate basket cases. 

The 04 Bulldogs, 05 Tigers missed the subsequent finals series and the Broncos 06 limped into 8th spot in 2007.  In fact, only the Roosters and Storm have managed anything close to long-term success in the last decade, and both only have one Premiership to their credit.

So the boys (and we) can enjoy the next week perhaps but after that we need to start looking at the pitfalls of being Premiers and how we negate them. 

The first is out of our control.  Several players will now make the Test sides and will be looking at a shortened off season and the risk of injuries.  Frankly, I'm hoping a guy like Matai opts for the surgery he needs rather than playing for the kiwi bridesmaids.

And Hasler is sufficiently a club man that I expect he will resist the offer of State of Origin coach next year.

For the players, it is important that they understand that any slackening off from this year's effort risks a finals chance – and with it the club's future.  We are flat out breaking even in a Premiership winning season, and until Brookvale is re-developed we cannot afford a slide into bloated mediocrity, dwindling crowds and dissatisfied sponsors.

Enjoy tonight – but the long, hard road to Manly survival begins again tomorrow.

Disclaimer:  Four years ago, when I was at my darkest worst, Wheel asked me what I'd say if we won a Premiership.  At the time it seemed a fanciful notion, so I jokingly suggested I'd warn against post-Premiership complacency.  I am a man of my word.

"We really cannot be satisfied with a record-winning margin in tonight's Grand Final."

Yesh we can STFU Mata! ;) Who cares about next year, we've got a great eam and I'd rather bath in their glory than worry about who's going to dropp too many balls next year.

Ps. Go Beaver!!!

I agree we cant settle with Premiership complacency signs are though we recruited well for next year and the management team seem very professional in comparison to the majority of NRL clubs, the world cup could be a worry though with injuries and the shortened off season.

Dessie doesn't seem to be someone who'd settle for average performances and where in a better position with player retention than certainly the tigers where.

But yes the clubs security is far from stable yet.

****e off Matabele, We're kings in 08 and will be for decades to come.  Next year we'll be stronger, crowds up, membership up and a winning culture as it should be.  The silvertail tag will return and people will hate us again.  Swagger along to the Eagle Rock.  Complacency will be pushed aside as we set up a decade of premierships.  Go Manly.   

Anyone disagreeing with me are welcome to go and join the ranks of the Eels supporters.   :-*

I am more than happy to allow the players & coaching staff a few weeks basking in the well deserved glory.

After that it strikes me that Hasler will just wipe the slate clean and start all over again. Complacencey does not appear to be  word that Hasler undertsands the meaning off.

Matai is down to have shoulder surgery this week according a source. I will be surprised if too many Eagles get a Test jersey though if Glenn Stewart is not picked the selectors are morons, though they were in the Origin series. How stupid does Bellamy look now, with no Kite in the Origin???

I reckon we all just smile and bask in the Glory and PFFFTTT at all the Manly knockers
Our team for 2009 does not become weaker it becomes stronger

I just want to know how Dessie will pull off the "under the radar" caper next season after a 40 - 0 grand final result :)

I'm generally a glass half full sort of guy but this morning I'm in a glass overflowing sort of mood.
Mata.....enjoy the moment mate and tomorrow is another day.
Complacency won't be a problem and to use the words "Eels supporters" in the same context as a Manly GF win post is just....well...just....wrong?

Mata, dwell on the past = miss the now.  Worry about the wheels falling off in the future = miss the now.  If Dessie and the boys continue taking care of the now, they'll be sweet.

Right now, Manly has just dominated Storm in a GF.  Let's lap it up.  Big time.

I just couldn't stop laughing last night as Manly scored another try, then another, and another ...

And when Beaver came onto the ground and topped off the fairytale with a fairytale juggle and try (how unselfish was the wangdance-man when he might have been the only player EVER to score four tries in a GF?) - it felt like the laughing would never stop.

Beaver (farewell try), Belly (farewell try) and Bryant (100th game in centenary season) all lived the fairytale grandfinal finish to their Manly careers.  And how fitting that the ultimate club-man, Willo, was there in a backseat capacity, happy while others took the glory, taking a personal hit for the team in his farewell.  Sort of like Taylor declaring undefeated on 334.

Is this all a dream?

Rex link said:
Is this all a dream?

I hope not, because I haven't had a dream that good since the one with Jennifer Hawkins, a jar of honey and my '87 Wormald jersey.

People still don't get you Mata do they - you make me smile!

This Manly CASTLE is built on bedrock with a thousand worthy warriors (players, staff, ex players, officials & supportahs) manning the ramparts.

Today, the weapons are holstered as we all say
F**K you very much Melbourne
WE ARE MANLY & WE ARE THE PREMIERS!!!

I would like to please once again draw attention to my disclaimer.

I'm sure Corso Pete will very much verify how much that FLOGGING of the Storm was appreciated by the Grant household.

I made sure I took photos of both my boys wide-eyed at the players when they did their victory lap so it can be published in the Herald when the two of them are preparing themselves to represent Manly in the Grand Final of 2020.

By then people will be going "do you remember how amazed we were when St George had only won 11 consecutive Premierships?"

Matabele link said:
I'm sure Corso Pete will very much verify how much that FLOGGING of the Storm was appreciated by the Grant household.

I am able to confirm that the 3 members of the Grant family that were sitting in my immediate vicinity were very vocal in their support and encouragement of the Manly Sea Eagles at the ANZ Stadium between the hours of 5pm & 8pm on the evening of the 5/10/2008.

I also am of the opinion that there was very loud cheering for player, Jason King, by the leader of the Grant household when player King offloaded the ball that eventually led to  Brent Kite's try.

I can further testify that ex Manly player, Michael Monaghan was subjected to verbal vilification when player Ballin scored the opening try.

Pete, you didn't mention the sms that the older member of that family received at the same time, sent by an old bloke from the other end of the ground!!! :)

Matabele link said:
Disclaimer:  Four years ago, when I was at my darkest worst, Wheel asked me what I'd say if we won a Premiership.  At the time it seemed a fanciful notion, so I jokingly suggested I'd warn against post-Premiership complacency.  I am a man of my word.

I remember that clearly but I didnt you would start within 24 hrs...  you keep your word.

But you make a very good point, however I believe it has more to do with World Club Challenge and the increased rep players the following year.

Chip & Chase link said:
Back to back anyone ?

I made a bet about that in the 65th minute last night. I've got a 12 bottles of top shelf bourbon riding on it, so please no premiership hangover!

Having said that, with the planning Dessie puts in I wouldn't be suprised if he's already working on next year.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2