Pre season Results

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
MWSE said:
Susan is yet again correct. Taking a pre-season game out to a rural location is disrespectful to the fans of that area. They want to see the stars turn out and play, not some young kid or veteran journeyman.

I live in a rural area and I can assure you that no one here see it as disrespectful at all. We have a trial game between the Dogs and Raiders here this weekend, within 48 hours of the tickets being available all 5000 were sold. If we had a larger ground they would fill it.

Both teams are here for the whole weekend, on the Saturday they have coaching for the kids etc and be assured those kids don't care what player is there.

All accommodation is booked out for the weekend so its a boost to our local economy as well.

Its all well good for those fans who live in the Sydney area and can get to see their team play on a weekly basis but for us fans, Manly or otherwise,who live in rural areas often can only get to a game or two a year due to the distance and cost, so having a trial game here is a buzz for everyone.

Unfortunately I will have to put up with Doggy and Raiders fans but its a chance to get close to Hasler and wish him no success for the season.

susan said:
I am for a proper structured pre season comp that adds revenue and increases the popularity of our game.Playing trials at grounds miles away form iether clubs supporter base denies most fans the chance to have a look at their side as they are unlikely to travel and pay $20 to go to a trial 100ks away.

If we had a pre season comp with a very attractive prize at stake that attracted televison coverage and the top players participation you would get 10k at Brookie paying usual entry prices.If players are to risk injury it might as well be for a meaningful result.

Say each club plays 3 rounds drawn from a hat with a bonus point system to encourage atacking football with the top 2 sides playing off in the final (decided iether by the bonus points or for and against if that doesnt separate them).

People may say trials are a good chance to take footy to the country.i would rather each club be forced to relocate one proper comp game to a regional area each season.It is those high intensity games that country people want to see.

You make some valid and good points Susan. I for one would like to see a premiership game come to regional areas but do you think the clubs involved would be happy taking a loss in revenue, I doubt it.

Manly fans are live all over country, its great for those that live in Manly and surrounding suburbs where fans have the opportunity to go to games every week. I can only get to 2 or3 games at Brookie a year due to the distance and cost so i don't think having a trial game every 4 or 5 years here is too much to ask.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Garts said:
Are you kidding? We have leaked over 20 points in the last 2 games, this is a sign of the season ahead I am afraid. It is not looking good. Start planning you holidays in September lads.

I never saw either of the trial games BUT I did see a few up here when they played them on the Sunny Coast, and I remember the following about the two I saw (one V Storm the other V Warriors)

First Quarter

Not one first grader to be seen, mostly Under 20's and a few what could be termed reserve graders.

Second Quarter

Mostly reserve graders and a couple of fringe first graders that may have played once or twice during that year

Third Quarter

About half of the first grade squad and the rest fringe first graders / under 20's

Fourth Quarter

The other half of the First Graders and the rest as above

NOW

If the trials to date have been anything like these I do not know HOW you could make a judgment like that Garts.

That's an opinion best left to after Round 1 or maybe by Round 4

I went to the trial v the Sharkies. Based on that we should not even bother turning up for round 1. Rothfield was dead right in his weekend column. We will be flat out winning a game all year with that defence. We might as well sack Tooves now.

Staff online

• lsz
    First Grader
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8