Press conference script (if only)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
If Toovey needed a script writer for last night's press conference, this is what should have been said:

"Eighteen years ago I played in a Grand Final featuring a try from a seventh tackle, another from a blatant shovel pass forward and a run of penalties which gave the momentum to one side only. Few remember this when they talk about that year's Premiers and Runners Up, but it continues to haunt the players and fanbase of the club to this day. Sadly my playing group and our fans have another similar performance to add to the list. Predominantly every 50/50 call went against Manly tonight, and I count at least 7 of them. Entering the game the Roosters were the most penalised side in the competition, but somehow tonight they received 250% more penalties than were awarded to us. Apparently they only transgressed twice.

In both halves Manly were on top and in a good position after 20 minutes only to see momentum shift on the back of dubious penalties or Rooster errors missed. The Rooster go-ahead try was scored off a forward pass to rival the one seen in 1995. And their final try was scored after Manly failed to receive a penalty at the other end when the same player, Jennings, changed course to shoulder charge our captain as he contested a bomb.

History repeats 18 years after. Despite all the changes in technology, a second referee being added, umpteen officials scrutinising the game, they still can;t get it right and teams and fans are the ones penalised (pardon the pun). Six weeks ago I was fined $10,000 for asking if two officiating referees were the best in the game. By appointing Shane Hayne to the Grand Final the NRL answered my question with a resounding yes. His performance tonight resoundingly answered in the negative - but it is not he or the NRL who will pay the price."

Honestly, we do have a very bad record of things going against us in GFs.

1995 - 7 tackle try, forward pass, A penalty try not given to us early when Lamb dragged down Menzies.

1997 - two tries to Newcastle within 2-3 tackles of an obvious knock on or forward pass, McDougall not being sent off for stomping on the head of an opposing player ( I note he made light of it in last night's telecast).

2007 - Crocker not even penalised for an act of thuggery against our main attacking player.

2013 - 'nuff said.

His actual presser is on the NRL website.

He made the whole room laugh when he clarified what he had earlier said about getting into trouble when dissing the quality of refereeing by saying, "only some people get into trouble for doing that.."

Great bloke our Tooves.

Well what Matabele has suggested is a much needed approach.

Nothing will change until the standards of refereeing is challenged. Its not whinging bitching or poor form to want to see this particular part of game improve and there is just no way it will until the ARLC see it as a critical issue to address.

simon_eagle said:
His actual presser is on the NRL website.

He made the whole room laugh when he clarified what he had earlier said about getting into trouble when dissing the quality of refereeing by saying, "only some people get into trouble for doing that.."

Great bloke our Tooves.
Someone commented elsewhere about this, but I just watched it, and, when he said that, he looked daggers at someone out of camera view. If looks could kill...

In fact I think he managed to get most of Mata's speech in without actually using the words. Very intense. Lyon and DCE were in similar mode, gracious acknowledging the better team won but clearly devastated by the circumstances.

I just watched that presser. Tooves seething but self controlled. Killer and Daley, matter of fact.
Well done in difficult circumstances.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6