Preston Campbell broken jaw

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Preston's amazing courage

By Peter Badel | August 24, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

GOLD COAST dynamo Preston Campbell produced one of the most heroic displays on a rugby league field in almost 40 years, playing 43 minutes with a broken jaw. In a remarkable act of bravery, Campbell ignored medical advice to sit out the second half after copping a blow to the left side of his face against the Broncos on Friday night.
Desperate to help save the Titans' season, Campbell refused to tell coach John Cartwright or team-mates of his injury.
The pint-sized fullback produced a magnificent second half, making a series of trademark kick returns, but his courage went unrewarded as the Titans suffered a heartbreaking 25-21 defeat in extra time.
Campbell indicated he had broken his jaw after the match and scans yesterday confirmed his worst fears, wiping him out for the rest of the season.
Campbell's courage evokes comparisons with legendary Souths forward John Sattler, who played 70 minutes of the 1970 grand final against Manly with a broken jaw.
"No-one knew about it but myself and the doc. I didn't tell anyone,'' Campbell said.
"I'm pretty down. I'm on some painkillers. I wanted to finish the season with the boys, but I won't be able to do that now.''
Campbell, 31, said he had no recollection of the blow that prompted him to consult Titans doctor Paul Ohmsen at halftime.
"I don't know how it happened, I just copped a whack and all of a sudden my jaw locked up and wouldn't move,'' Campbell said.
"I knew there was a problem there. I can't align the top of my mouth with the bottom of my jaw. It hurts to bite down and even opening my mouth. I think my jaw may have just popped out and popped back in.
"I saw the doctor at half-time and he didn't want me to go back on, but I didn't give him a choice.
"I was out there before he could stop me. I was hoping I wouldn't get another knock around the head in the second half and I didn't, so I'm thankful it wasn't worse.''
Titans coach Cartwright was in awe of Campbell's contribution under duress against the Broncos.
The premiership-winning utility has been in the wars throughout the season. He has battled ankle ligament damage and experienced temporary memory loss in May after suffering concussion.
"I thought he was probably the best player on the field,'' Cartwright said.
"He did an enormous amount of work. It was high energy, he was brave, he's been like that all year.''
Campbell wanted to attend a pre-arranged promotional appearance at White Water World on the Gold Coast yesterday before the club officials intervened.
Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle sent him a text message which read in part: "Thank you for your courage, passion and support of our club. You will always be the heart and soul of the Titans.
"Rest up mate. You could not have done any more this year for the club.''

Hmm, he showed a lot of courage & dedication to go back out there & play on to help his team try to go further up the ladder but was probably a bit stupid of him to risk further damage. After saying all of that, in the end it it only makes his team a little weaker for the remaining rounds and it will certainly help us out when we play them next week. I'm sure that they'll miss him for the remaining rounds.

Sad to see him out, he is great to watch, even though it helps us i suppose. Would like to be beating full strength sides though

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4