Proof that the salary cap works!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Look no further than the final four ladies and gentleman!
We have three one city teams and the richest, most connected club in Sydney!!
Roll up! Roll up!
Look at the level playing field!
Look at the even Salary Cap!
See how well it works!!
Roll up! Roll up!
Disclaimer: unfortunately we are unable to provide details of any third party agreements at this time.

Also bit of a coincidence that both Bennett & lobster head are both part of the rule change committee

Where is Shane Richardson on his review of the Salary Cap? @:rolleyes: NRL gave him a 700k job to fix all this :mad:

This also highlights the lack of winning culture at the Warriors. They have access to a whole country's Corporate Sponsorship pool, along with the biggest nursery of Polynesian athletes, yet no trophies :wondering:

Where is Shane Richardson on his review of the Salary Cap? @:rolleyes: NRL gave him a 700k job to fix all this :mad:

This also highlights the lack of winning culture at the Warriors. They have access to a whole country's Corporate Sponsorship pool, along with the biggest nursery of Polynesian athletes, yet no trophies :wondering:
They are always right up there in the 20's but the 1st grade side are hit n miss.

Yep it's a joke.

Let's face it Manly were successful in spite of the others and due to its great culture ( at the time ).

But I expect these rich clubs to dominate now, as the rich clubs in the ESL do.

Occasionally one will pop up from the neverlands , but I bet in 10 years these four win more GF's than any others.

This is why the NRL needs to put a cap on TPA's. The salary cap can only go so far but when you start adding third parties to the payment mix, there are definitely some clubs that have better business contacts than others.

While TPA's are allowed to go unchecked it will always be those clubs that have the better contacts who will be able to attract the better players. And lets face it, in Sydney the likes of Nick Politis and David Gyngel (Rorters) and Russell Crowe (Souffs) will have the higher profile business contracts to get more TPA's for their players and why clubs such as the Tigers will continue to struggle.

Its one of the reasons why I wish someone like Hugh Jackman would become at least a part owner of Manly.

If the NRL isn't careful it could very easily end up like the NFL, NBA and MLB in the US and the EPL and other soccer comps throughout Europe. The richer clubs will dominate.

Last edited:
The Boncos also have the advantages of playing every Friday night and, surprise surprise, are the least penalised team in the comp. Go figure!

Though if you listen to the Donkeys they would prefer more Sunday games and even the odd Saturday game rather than all the Friday's they get. Its a massive advantage for them, but Friday nights actually can hurt attendances as many people can't make it to a game after work. Its relatively easy enough for those who are single to get to games but for those who go as a family with kids in tow its not so easy.

The problem there is Nein. They want the maximum ratings they can get and to get that in Qld usually means Friday night is Donkey night at old Lang Park.

Here's some more evidence - most junior rep players gets approached by roosters even over in NZ & they were in the wings waiting for Hayne if he was cut by 49'ers??
Ppl can be fooled by all the money from Sheck, but keep in mind his contract was only really shooting up in value now, as his prior contract was much less than his worth.
Hastings price will now basically cancel out Maloney.
Also upgrades to the backrowers, addition of Ferguson, signing of the Poms best winger & so much more is simply baffling....

Though if you listen to the Donkeys they would prefer more Sunday games and even the odd Saturday game rather than all the Friday's they get. Its a massive advantage for them, but Friday nights actually can hurt attendances as many people can't make it to a game after work. Its relatively easy enough for those who are single to get to games but for those who go as a family with kids in tow its not so easy.

The problem there is Nein. They want the maximum ratings they can get and to get that in Qld usually means Friday night is Donkey night at old Lang Park.
I get that. But most other clubs take some of their home games to foreign fields in order to spread the game of rugby league. Have the Boncos ever taken a home game from Suncorpo Stadium?

It's really out of hand now, you can see the big names amassing in 4 or 5 clubs, I'd add the Bulldogs to the list as well.

I don't think the Cowboys fit into this yet , they have been a bit lucky to build a decent side on the back of Thurston/ Scott and Tamou and you can see them being dismantled in the near future.

Rorters/Donkeys/Vermin/Drizzle/Bulldogs all have a big leg up in comparison to the rest of us.

And if allowed to continue unabated it will only get worse.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
2015 "WHAT SALARY CAP?" PREMIERSHIP

PRELIMINARY FINALS:

Friday

Brisbane "What extra payments? He doesn't work here anymore" Broncos
v
Sydney "everyone (allegedly) gets a free car from Uncle Nick and there may or may not be brown paper bags of cash in the boot" Roosters

Saturday

Melbourne "boat in GI's driveway/2 contracts/we didn't do anything wrong/everyone was doing it/we still feel like premiers" Storm
v
North Queensland "Our star players all consider leaving then decide to stay for less money and immediately build a giant new house through the club chairman's real estate business" Cowboys

Yep. Seems legit. Gee it's a good thing we have such an effective salary cap!

2015 "WHAT SALARY CAP?" PREMIERSHIP

PRELIMINARY FINALS:

Friday

Brisbane "What extra payments? He doesn't work here anymore" Broncos
v
Sydney "everyone (allegedly) gets a free car from Uncle Nick and there may or may not be brown paper bags of cash in the boot" Roosters

Saturday

Melbourne "boat in GI's driveway/2 contracts/we didn't do anything wrong/everyone was doing it/we still feel like premiers" Storm
v
North Queensland "Our star players all consider leaving then decide to stay for less money and immediately build a giant new house through the club chairman's real estate business" Cowboys

Yep. Seems legit. Gee it's a good thing we have such an effective salary cap!
Nailed it. Noted absentee of last year's premiers....

I get that. But most other clubs take some of their home games to foreign fields in order to spread the game of rugby league. Have the Boncos ever taken a home game from Suncorpo Stadium?

Good point. Apart from their early days when they took maybe one or two games to Townsville (I think one of them may have even been a Panasonic Cup game in 1989), the Donkeys don't take their home games away from home. I can't recall them doing it when they were at QE2 and I can't remember them doing it since moving back to Suncorp.

If there is one NRL team who probably should take at least one home game to country areas per year its the Drizzle. They should try and get some support in country Victoria rather than just stick to playing at AAMI Park.

The common denominator between the drizzle and the donkeys apart from the News Filth backing is Ribot who merely implemented at the drizzle what worked at the donkeys in playing players unders on the cap and then making up for that by getting massive third party payments for the players.

There is no level playing field and this year does reflect the pecking order in relation to the teams that are left.

Rorters are protected as their owner is probably the most influential guy in the game. The team they have assembled is well frankly awesome but as ive mentioned before, they use their financial muscle buying younger players in the Holden cup from other clubs like the did with JWH

Donkeys and Drizzle have pretty much a huge advantage. One team towns and no competition. In the donkeys case unlimited funding from a corporation that nearly destroyed our game and the drizzle were the present given to News after the troubles.

The cowpokes have a massive catchment area up in FNQ and it stands to reason that they are succesful.

When you consider the wealth of the Dogs and Rabbits, who are now out of this years race it shows you how much Manly have punched above their weight for so long. If you hark back to the 80s we were the richest club in the league, those days are long gone.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8