Protocol on the Hill

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I need your advice as to whether you think I was right or wrong:
Yesterday on the Hill I was there early enough to get a good spot and put down my rug, knowing friends would be joining me. They did, and also put down two more rugs. Now, the son of my mate was also expecting two more friends, so we had more than enough space for our needs.
The two friends were late - very late, and as the Hill started to fill I became anxious, knowing that we really were taking up too much space for our numbers. By 2.20pm the two others hadn't arrived, and when three Manly supporters looking for a spot approached us I told them they could sit partially on one of our rugs.
That caused a sharp rebuke from my mate, who told me I had no right to offer up his son's rug. As it turns up, the two stragglers didn't turn up until 2.25pm - half way through the first half, and there was still sufficient room for them.
As a Hill goer for 50 years, my belief is that you don't take up more space than you need, and if people are late for the kick-off they forego their rights to a good position.
What do you think?

I've been going to Brookie since the late 1970s.

If an unticketed bench seat or hill grass space is being held imo if they aren't there by 5 minutes into the game then that's it. No more dibs.

If ground is full and the game had started I'd be sitting wherever i found empty space.

Gees I thought this was gonna be about language on the hilll and what you can and can't say.

Fluffy said:
if you want a space then get reserved seating.

otherwise everyone can sit anywhere

Exactly, general admission is cheap for a reason - it isn't reserved!

I occasionally get my friends to hold seats for me on the benches, but I'm usually there at least 20 mins before kick off. I reckon if the cheergirls have formed the line for the players to run out then all spots are up for grabs. I hate people that rock up on the siren and expect a spot that a normal person would have to arrive an hour earlier to get.

bones said:
I thought it was going to be something to do with Terry Hill.

I misread the last word to be Pill, wrote out a long reply and deleted it.

My family and I always aim for gates open to get seats on the fence on the family hill. Occasionally we've had to save seats for friends coming later but kick off is where I'd draw the line too. I can't stand people who get there at kick off and want the best spot. Get there early if you want a specific unreserved spot.

You can't hold spots for people in an unreserved area. Get there together and put your own rugs down. What if you had a family of 50 and put down twenty rugs?

Then I would ask you for an autograph Mr Hopoate

Common sense should prevail - if it is a sellout type game, first in best dressed. In a scenario like yesterday where space was there I reckon it's ok until kick off.

Your mate sounds like a total douche. Actually, is a total douche and it seems like it runs in the family.

A bit of a tough one.
When do we give up the space? Did your mates sons mates call to say they were definately coming & gonna be late? Did they end up turning up? Did they have pre-paid tickets?

So you've effectively given some other latecomers who've turned up 20 mins after kickoff a dream run. There would've been stacks of others that could've taken that space prior to kickoff.
If you get there early enough take all the space you want I reckon, because that space ALWAYS gets encroached on even when there's no space.
As long as you aren't blocking anyones view, sweet

I've always sat on the hill since I was a kid ( when we'd get there for U23's )and take my kids now so I always start with plenty of space because there'll always be at least one knob that thinks your rug & Big League was put there just for them.

There have been plenty of times when I've had someone ask me if they can share my space and I've obliged only for 2 or 3 more of their friends somehow find them that have no regard for the fact that we've been there for hours.

As plenty of others have said, first in, best dressed.

PS - Why would you turn up after kickoff anyway? It's not like there's anything on after the game, isn't that what you're there for?

Picnic rugs should be banned. They get in the way of people moving up and down the hill, or people get narky if you tread on one.

If everyone just stood up on the hill, we'd already have our 30,000 stadium.

It's hard to expect the crowd to get enthusiastic if they're in picnic mode.

globaleagle said:
You're mate sounds like a total douche. Actually, is a total douche and it seems like it runs in the family.

Any Aussie who uses the term Douche is a Douche.

This post actually makes sense in us putting to a vote and having a specific page for game day information and etiquette.

DSM5 said:
You can't hold spots for people in an unreserved area. Get there together and put your own rugs down. What if you had a family of 50 and put down twenty rugs?

congrats if you bring 50 family members, huge shout though

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4