Pushing in the scrum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Is this allowed? I thought not - but I would like to see it come back. The Tigers pushed us off the ball tonight in one scrum and, if it is legal, then good on them. But I'm sure I've seen forwards penalised for pushing in the scrum.
Clarity anyone?

Was fair enough. Allowed to push once the ball is in the scrum. Refs often tell them not to push, but that's all before the ball goes in.

If the rule is as the tigpies did and brissie kid said then why don't teams push more often given most teams pack a lot of backs in there these days

Pushing is fine standing up out of the scrum before the ball is free ia not

Foran fed the ball. I think he fed it too fairly near the middle & the ball took longer than normal to get to the back of the Manly pack. Most halves like DCE have the ball out before any push from the opposition pack could do anything.

Fluffy said:
If the rule is as the tigpies did and brissie kid said then why don't teams push more often given most teams pack a lot of backs in there these days

Exactly. Let's get the scrums resembling a contest instead of a 'smoko'. No more backs in the scrums, nor forwards in the backline. Imagine if we did, we might even see the return of attacking raids from scrums!

There were probably six penalties the referee could have given against Wests Tigers anyway in that scrum if they were officiating by the rule book.

Front row of the tigers one wa standing up watching the scrum unfold the other 2 not far behind. But I didnt mind the actual puah and play added somwthing to the penalty fest

manlyfan76 said:
I hate players leaving early and not being penalised .

100%. I've see Manly time after time hold the ball at the back of the scrum & then draw the opposition backs to go early inside the 10m. No penalty.

The referees seem to negate all attempts in the game for teams to use initiative and creative moves.

I thought it was a penalty for pushing in the scrum.

That aside, it was nice to see some pushing in the scrum. With all the banning of shoulder charges and fighting it would be a nice way to bring some aggression back into the game.

I thought the last team that tried it got penalised and they said you were not allowed to do it any more. I think if the tigers had tried it against souffs or the rorters they would have been penalised for it

Of course you can push in the scrum, you just can't go off early and with the ridiculous scrum feeds these days that doesn't leave much time to spring this move. If used in moderation and when a team's concentration is lapsing it is worth a shot.

Souths actually tried it near the end against the Dragons last week but the ball got out fast enough just before the pack got pushed back over it.

As someone said above there was multiple penalty options available to the refs in that scrum but I think they were too surprised themselves when it happened.

I'm pretty sure that the bloke who picked up the ball was packed (and I use that term very loosely) in the 2nd or front row. How can he pick the ball up without having unbound from the scrum before the ball came out?

If teams tried this tactic once or twice a game maybe the scrum formation/binding might improve a bit as teams would need to be ready for it.

There was an aerial shot of a scrum in the state of origin that showed what a joke the lack of binding has become from the lock right through to the front row.

Anyway, scrums are a lost cause so on with the show..................

Excerpt from:

RUGBY LEAGUE LAWS OF THE GAME
INTERNATIONAL LEVEL WITH
NOTES ON THE LAWS AND
NRL TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP INTERPRETATIONS

(APPROVED BY THE AUSTRALIAN RUGBY LEAGUE COMMISSION)

OFFICIAL FEBRUARY 2013

Section 12 (4)

Pushing

4. It is permissible for forwards to push - except where
the Safeplay Code applies, once the scrum has been
correctly formed but if it moves an appreciable
distance to the disadvantage of any one team before
the ball is put in then the Referee shall order the
scrum to reform in its original position.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/NRL%20Rules%20book%202013FINAL.pdf

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2