Question for the Kiwi forumites....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
I'm flying to AKL  then driving to Taupo on the 23rd June for a well earned break (Timed for the BYE weekend - mind you I booked to come back on a Thursday in case we had the Dogs on the Friday only to find out later that we have them on a Monday...Grrrr...could have had longer there....)
Anyway I digress...Origin II will be on whilst I'm in NZ - Just wondered if it is screened free to air over there (We are staying in Hatape so a bit south of Taupo) If it isn't, do Fox or someone like that show the game live (in which case I'll task the designated driver that we'll need to head to the bright lights that night to find a pub in town that will be willing to have the game on)
Any help or advice much appreciated?
Cheers
Vid

Taupo..>Spot of Trout fishing mate.

If you are staying on the northern part where the Waikato runs out I have a number of little fishing spots in the top of the Waikato that never fail. I use to go there fairly often and last time, my Dad and I caught over 16 trout in 2 days in 2 of our spots, all very nice sized too. Send me a PM and I may share one with you

G'Day Dan,
And yes, looking to fool some of those big Taupo trout with fur and feather!

Thanks for that offer but we'll be North Island only (Taupo is pretty much in the middle of the North Island)

I've been over a few times (generally a holiday to combine the fishing with the Eagles playing at Mt Smart but we don't play in NZ this season) so know the area quite well

Generally go quite well and have had some very big browns from the rip at Hatape early morning or late at night (A short stroll from where we stay)...really looking forward to the trip..a mate has a holiday batch over there so I get the place for a resonable rate and it's pretty much on the side of Lake Taupo so ideal for hitting lots of the local rivers with very little travel time.

Fished the south a few years ago but mostly around Gore/Queenstown and up the west coast...great fishing, stunning scenery and the locals are very friendly....

G'day Vid

The match is screened free to air, but it is on a delay, normally kicking off at 11.30pm-midnight

It is shown live on Sky TV, our version of Fox. You will have no issues at all finding a pub that will be showing it live, The Kiwis get right into Origin as well, the majority supporting Qld, so there would be some atmosphere in the pubs as well

Beautiful!
Thanks Kiwi Eagle, much appreciated.....11.30 will be way past bedtime with an early start on the water so will find a pub in town and then head there....
Cheers for the help
Vid

Yep, but thanks...spot of dinner, couple of drinks and hey presto...C'mon you Blues!!!
Nice one!

Hey Bob,
Do you sing on the water?

My missed catch
Is bigger than yours
My missed catch is bigger than yours
It was an eight kilo rainbow
My missed catch is bigger than yours

Ha! Good one MB
Nah...I am man the hunter!
Not going to Penrith?
(The game is on Saturday....just in case...don't want you getting lonely on that Southern Hill? LOL)

Vidmar,

Waikato is in the North Island it runs directly out of Lake Taupo!!!

If you are driving from Auckland you go right over the dam/bridge as you go into Taupo town centre from the north west :)

Lake Taupo is great fishing, for Fly fishing though I head to the southern end of it. But for lure and bait fishing look in the slower flowing outlets like the top of the waikato on the river side and not on the lake side :)

Ah sorry mate....The town of Waikato is in the south but see the river is in the North Island...pretty close to where we are staying (30km or so) in Hatepe...my fishing has been generally been way south of Taupo such as the rip from the Hinemaiaia River mouth (also known as Hatepe River) which is a short walk from the batch, I like the Tauranga-Taupo, had some good fish in the Tongariro River (wet lining) and have done a bit in the Waitahanui.
I've fished with a local guide over there a few times (Shane French http://taupofishing.co.nz/dragonfly-river-guides/ who I can thoroughly reccomend)
Will pm you over the weekend re the Waikato - thanks for following up
Cheers
Vid

Yeah we couldnt get a hotel in Taupo so had to stay down in the Tongariro River Lodge, so we snuck off and did some fishing down there and caught a few, i just had better luck in the Waikato. Caught a nice big deep water Rainbow from a boat in Taupo though man that was a big fish! We were fishing with the dead line massive weights taking the lure down and when they hit they bust off the rubber band. Interesting way to get Trout to be honest

You blokes should do some real fishing up in the Northern Territory

The Wheel link said:

pffft done plenty of "real" Fishing around the place. Particularly in and around Broome, and a few hours out in the middle of no where, where every cast pulls in something that is usually chased by something bigger.

There is something about trout fishing in NZ that draws me like a moth to a flame though

The Wheel link said:

Nothing quite like the fishing up near Melville Island in NT. 5 days on a chartered boat. Absolutely second to none

DVS Matt link said:
[quote author=The Wheel link=topic=180676.msg226991#msg226991 date=1244777776]

Nothing quite like the fishing up near Melville Island in NT. 5 days on a chartered boat. Absolutely second to none
[/quote]
I'd say 5 days locked in a hotel with 5 Ralph models would top this

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8