Rambo's blood still runs maroon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Manly can win it: Gibbs
BY ANNA YEO
3/10/2008 10:41:00 AM

Former Manly second rower Ron Gibbs is hopeful his beloved Sea Eagles can experience the success he did with the side in 1987 when they take on Melbourne Storm for the 2008 NRL premiership this Sunday.

Gibbs, a resident of Dubbo and still involved with rugby league as a development officer in the far west, lined up beside Manly greats Paul Vautin, Cliff Lyons and current coach Des Hasler in their 1987 grand final win over the Canberra Raiders and to this day the memories of that game are still fresh in Gibbs’ mind.

After only recently recovering from the scars of Manly’s 2007 grand final loss, Gibbs is confident the Eagles have what it takes to overcome the strength of the Storm at ANZ Stadium.

“They are hungrier this year and they proved that by defeating the Warriors seven tries to one last week,” Gibbs said.

“Our forward pack has stepped up a lot more this season and all we have to do is go out there and play like we have been playing all season.”

Gibbs expects strong leadership from Manly centre Jamie Lyons and half back Matt Orford.

He said the Storm would find it hard to match the strength of second rowers Anthony Watmough and Steve ‘Beaver’ Menzies.

“We have a fair bit of speed in our backs and fitness isn’t a problem for us,” Gibbs said.

“Manly is simply going from good to better.”

Gibbs has been a fan of Manly since he was little and was fortunate to play two seasons with the club in 1986-87.

He claims the 1987 grand final, the last game to ever be played on the Sydney Cricket Ground, was one of his most memorable moments in football, when Manly trounced the Raiders 18-8.

Last year Gibbs travelled to watch every single Manly home game and said he took their grand final loss possibly harder than any of the players.

This year he decided to change his routine completely, only watching three of their home games in the hopes they can reverse the outcome of last year’s grand final this Sunday.

“I am very much a routine man, I had a routine when I played of waking up at 7am, going for a 10km run and eating avocado on toast for breakfast,” Gibbs said.

“It was painful watching them lose last year and so I have changed my routine of watching them this year in the hope it will change the outcome of the grand final.”

LOL he is a classic, Dubbo huh is he buddies with Matas? I had a good chat with him at the club one night last year

Matabele link said:
Nah, he's trying to recruit Timmy but I won't let him play League. 
Why wont you let him play league?

Dan link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178628.msg199510#msg199510 date=1222995901]
[/quote]  It's a good game played by by the progeny of dick heads who are going to turn out the same way. 

The Union crowd are far more urbane and intelligent. 

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=178628.msg199512#msg199512 date=1222995959]
[/quote]  It's a good game played by by the progeny of dick heads who are going to turn out the same way. 

[/quote]

let hiim play the sport he wants I say

Another frustrated sideline father playing his football thru his son - is he eleigible for the Boks??

I got on the grog with Rambo (& rest of the team) at the Steyne the day after 87 grand final - now that was an experience.  A few things went down that day/night that would be frowned upon today.

Best things were lsitening to Noel Cleals brother's bush stories & watcging Terry randall take on the current players in an arm wrestling competition.

Dan link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178628.msg199514#msg199514 date=1222996107]
[quote author=Dan link=topic=178628.msg199512#msg199512 date=1222995959]

[/quote]

let hiim play the sport he wants I say
[/quote]  He certainly will when he's older Dan.  But he clearly has ability so I don't want to see him drummed out of a game at age 8 by some of the idiots that proliferate in the league ranks out here.

Roos Fro.  The Rhino's are a bunch of amateurs whereas the Roos really invest in their players and it has obviously paid dividends with their domination of the CWRU competition. 

The Wheel link said:
Another frustrated sideline father playing his football thru his son - is he eleigible for the Boks??
  Technically via my being born in Zimbabwe which is considered a feeder to the Boks.  Under the granparent rule he is also eligible for England and Zambia - not that the latter excel at anything but soccer. 

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8