Reason Walker is named in the side

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mitch

Bencher
7th Seven – Walker highlights team list Integrity farce

With the NSW Police investigation the possibility of match-fixing in three games, there’s been worthy debate over the weekly charade over team line-ups.

The issue reached a new low last week, when Manlynamed centre Dylan Walker to take on Canberra.

Walker’s name appeared on the team sheet last Tuesday, despite the fact coach Trent Barrett had ruled him out for the season with a shoulder injury less than a fortnight earlier.

On the same day he was named, Walker’s arm was still in a sling.

Barrett was forced to keep playing the game when quizzed about Walker on match-eve, saying he was an outside chanceto be fit.

As expected, Walker didn’t take the field, with rookie Brad Parker taking his place instead.

So what was the reason for this apparently ludicrous scenario? We’ve been told Manly needed to name Walker – and then rule him out at the eleventh hour – to gain the necessary second tier salary cap exemption to include Parker.

In effect, the NRL rules forced the club to deceive fans and punters in order to field a compliant team.

In our humble opinion, there’s something very wrong with that. Given Walker was never a chance of playing, the exemption should have been granted the previous Tuesday.

That would have encouraged transparency – something the game badly needs with a dark clouds hanging over its integrity.

I've never seen a worse organisation than this current NRL mob.
The Walker situation is ridiculous and I really can't see what the integrity unit is doing when the Russell Packers et al all end up playing anyway. Why wait?
And then there's the bunker, the scheduling, the differing penalties between Pearce and the Bronco centre, the softness of the Parra treatment, and, worst of all, that Trent Barrett qualified for a coaching license!

It's practically worth laughing about that this article highlights Manly.
No, Cronk won't play origin.
Oh miraculous recovery.
Hmmm...how many bets are placed on origin?

I've never seen a worse organisation than this current NRL mob.
The Walker situation is ridiculous and I really can't see what the integrity unit is doing when the Russell Packers et al all end up playing anyway. Why wait?
And then there's the bunker, the scheduling, the differing penalties between Pearce and the Bronco centre, the softness of the Parra treatment, and, worst of all, that Trent Barrett qualified for a coaching license!
Pretty sure that Packer and now Hoppa are ineligible till their full sentence period is over.
Both got parole, not a vacating of their order.@:cool:

I support the NRL in this, as both their offences have caused physical harm :mad:

The start and the end of the Manly 2016 season, are all about the Hoppas :confused:

#NoDickheadPolicy

Pretty sure that Packer and now Hoppa are ineligible till their full sentence period is over.
Both got parole, not a vacating of their order.@:cool:

I support the NRL in this, as both their offences have caused physical harm :mad:

The start and the end of the Manly 2016 season, are all about the Hoppas :confused:

#NoDickheadPolicy
Agreed, but people don't know that, which, as happens way too often, comes back to the lack of transparency from the NRL.

7th Seven – Walker highlights team list Integrity farce

With the NSW Police investigation the possibility of match-fixing in three games, there’s been worthy debate over the weekly charade over team line-ups.

The issue reached a new low last week, when Manlynamed centre Dylan Walker to take on Canberra.

Walker’s name appeared on the team sheet last Tuesday, despite the fact coach Trent Barrett had ruled him out for the season with a shoulder injury less than a fortnight earlier.

On the same day he was named, Walker’s arm was still in a sling.

Barrett was forced to keep playing the game when quizzed about Walker on match-eve, saying he was an outside chanceto be fit.

As expected, Walker didn’t take the field, with rookie Brad Parker taking his place instead.

So what was the reason for this apparently ludicrous scenario? We’ve been told Manly needed to name Walker – and then rule him out at the eleventh hour – to gain the necessary second tier salary cap exemption to include Parker.

In effect, the NRL rules forced the club to deceive fans and punters in order to field a compliant team.

In our humble opinion, there’s something very wrong with that. Given Walker was never a chance of playing, the exemption should have been granted the previous Tuesday.

That would have encouraged transparency – something the game badly needs with a dark clouds hanging over its integrity.

...."In effect, the NRL rules forced the club to deceive fans and punters in order to field a compliant team....."

With reference to the above quote, if any punter thought that walker was an outside chance and bet accordingly then they deserve to lose their money.

As for fans, I don't really think it cruelly affects their life one way or the other if the team line up changes (some may say....they travelled a lot to see their fav player and he didn't play...maybe)

I remember some years ago the same hullabaloo being spruiked by AFL journos whining about not getting the info and same for punters etc.

I remember the afl said something like.... we're not here for the betting agencies so get stuffed.

Teams said.... we don't want to play all our cards before kick off...so get stuffed.

The second tier exemption is an interesting point and I fully support Manly for doing it ..... if the nrl has rules basically forcing us to do so. You know what, every other team would do exactly the same in this situation.

So get stuffed (journos)

Some journo must have lost a stack of cash banking that Manly with Walker in the side were going to beat the Raiders.

Have to think about the poor old punter being shafted *violin playing*. The irony of this is that betting in sports compromises the integrity of the game and then the Integrity of the game is being questioned because of the NRL's stupid policy with relation to second tier caps. Clubs and rep sides, as Nicci pointed out earlier do it all the time so why single out a team that has no chance of making the finals?

But then again nothing sells papers better than a story related to Manly, where would the media be without us honestley?

We all whinge about the NRL, so why can't the 16 clubs band together and seek a whole new business structure? There is no rugby league without the clubs, so the clubs have all the power. The NRL just administers the game.
Thoughts?

We all whinge about the NRL, so why can't the 16 clubs band together and seek a whole new business structure? There is no rugby league without the clubs, so the clubs have all the power. The NRL just administers the game.
Thoughts?

Agree, but until clubs like Broncos, Storm, Bulldogs, Parra (get smacked with a feather everytime) get screwed over like we do nothing will change.

The NRL are a joke. I am surprised (or should that be not-surprised going by their recent track record) that they do not have a better system in place for promoting players after others are unable to play due to injury.

If this is the case its says a lot about the admin for our game and its all bad. People have been going on about the second tier cap for a decade and if we are still at this point its fair to say nothing has been learned. What do these tossers do all day, seriously

Its a contact sport,

Amateur hour

Simple fix for the second tier cap; adopt something similar to the NFL model.

A player can be put on injury reserve. Their salary no longer counts towards the cap for that year but they are done for the year. If that happens in round one or round 26, it doesn't matter. Once they are on injury reserve they are no longer considered in the Top 25 but cannot be on the field or participate in training, just rehab.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6