Recruitment

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
With all the talk about who we are looking to sign and whether or not off contact players see Manly as an attractive club to join, it got me thinking.

Firstly, with Dave Warwick gone, who is in charge of our recruitment ? And what the hell is he doing ? Is it all up to Bozo now ? Is he in charge of everything ? Surely this is too big a job to not have a designated recruitment manager.

It seems we have no clear idea what we are trying to achieve. The 10 year run of finals spoiled us a bit but apart from the odd marquee signing like Killer, we unearthed our own superstars or they were juniors. Snake, Skivvy, Foz, DCE, Gift, Choc, Kingy and Ballin were all "found". Why are we rummaging through the discard pile of other clubs looking for Aces ? We are better than this.

It's time we looked for the next crop where we found the first lot. But if we find them, do we have the coaches to help them realise their potential. I don't have all the answers but to me it seems like we're barking up the wrong tree. Is there no one who can spot talent ? Are our juniors that bad ? I refuse to accept we have to resort to our current plan to regain our winning ways.......I'm sorry but I just can't see it working.

Sea Eagles assistant coach John Cartwright to tackle the NRL salary cap
60fd39d9fad1e04c42a6ef0f12a4357a

Jon Geddes, Manly Daily
December 7, 2015 8:19am
60fd39d9fad1e04c42a6ef0f12a4357a

SEA Eagles assistant coach John Cartwright is ready to tackle the biggest challenge facing all NRL clubs where the ramifications of wrong decisions for years can be felt for years.

In his additional role as senior recruitment manager Cartwright will be performing a delicate balancing act in dealing with the salary cap.

And he provided a behind the scenes perspective at what that entails.

“Your role as a coach is getting taken up a lot more with things outside football,” Cartwright said.

“And I think the biggest one at the moment is salary cap — managing the salary cap and getting that right.

cd29be3e937f5762dd37575dbf31a2e4

The Sea Eagles coaching team of Anthony Seibold, Trent Barrett and John Cartwright. Picture: Brett Costello.
“If you get that majorly wrong, if you make some bad decisions on players or some players are on more money than they should, it can certainly affect the way you play on the football field.”

Cartwright said a lot more time was being put into looking at what players are like on the field, off the field and what they are going to a club.

“That is a really big part of getting the balance right within your team,” he said.

In his recruitment role Barrett will be working closely with head coach Trent Barrett and consultant Bob Fulton.

“It’s a lot of time isolating areas where you need to improve and then you have to go out and source players and assess players.

“And then the salary cap comes into it — it really is a complicated thing to do, getting that salary cap right.”

“If you get that majorly wrong, if you make some bad decisions on players or some players are on more money than they should, it can certainly affect the way you play on the football field.”

DCE's ridiculous contract comes to mind :clap:

We still need to sign about 5 more depth players to replace the ones culled. Can't wait to read all the why are we signing depth players, the world is ending, WTF posts.

With Matai and Stewart still on the books we don't have to fill many spots in the top 25. Green is one, AFB as well. Would expect Parker to be another and probably Hoppa Jnr. Bainbridge most likely the following year and will sit in the second tier next year but looks a future talent at 18 in his debut.

So, if being a football coach these days relies on adding up numbers and understanding legal issues why are we employing numbskull ex-footballers with no business, legal or accounting acumen?
That part should be the CEO's job, this was the major part of the De$ falling out , the CEO was instructed to run the financial side of it, and Ha$ler wasn't happy. This shouldn't be Barrett's role at all. Should work like this. Recruitment likes player XYZ Speaks to coach who says yes that fits in with the plan Goes to the CEO and says I want to sign him for $$$ for 3 years CEO says yes , or no pay him $$ for year 1 and $$$ for year 2 and $$$$ for year 3 Player signed and announced Ha$ler just went from the first step to the last step!! R

Last edited:
1.Trbojevic
2.Taufua
3.Walker
4.Matai
6.Green
7.Cherry
8.Lussick
9.Koroisau
10.Taupau
11.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Fonua Blake
15.Meehan
16.Lane
17.Winterstein

18.Parcell
19.Myles
20.Brown
21.Cullen
22.Williame
23.M Wright
24.J Wright
25.Hopoate

I just don't see how there could be any sense to be signing depth players unless their second tier contracts. We need to be signing quality players for a flank and backrow. Especially when u look at our bench and 8 depth players already. I haven't even included the likes of t wright, Parker. So again how many average back line players do we need taking up contracts on our top 25 when in reality players like lane, Winterstein, possibly Meehan should be depth not in an nrl line up!??

1.Trbojevic
2.Taufua
3.Walker
4.Matai
6.Green
7.Cherry
8.Lussick
9.Koroisau
10.Taupau
11.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Fonua Blake
15.Meehan
16.Lane
17.Winterstein

18.Parcell
19.Myles
20.Brown
21.Cullen
22.Williame
23.M Wright
24.J Wright
25.Hopoate

I just don't see how there could be any sense to be signing depth players unless their second tier contracts. We need to be signing quality players for a flank and backrow. Especially when u look at our bench and 8 depth players already. I haven't even included the likes of t wright, Parker. So again how many average back line players do we need taking up contracts on our top 25 when in reality players like lane, Winterstein, possibly Meehan should be depth not in an nrl line up!??
Tafua is off contract so will be interesting to see what they do there.

You can probably pencil Parker in for the vacant #5.

If that 12 becomes Gillette then that's ahandy squad.

I for one am gonna be watching Blake with a lot of interest over the coming weeks.. He flies under the radar a bit at the Storm just doing his job like all Bellyaches obedient robot soldiers lol But how he stacks up in finals this year will determine my level of happiness if we do in fact get him for next year. Nothing official been said anyway right???

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2