Referees to review 'No Try' call

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
March 17, 2008 VIDEO referee Phil Cooley will face his peers to find out if they agree with Manly coach Des Hasler that he "got it wrong" by denying winger Michael Bani a try against Cronulla.

Hasler was angry that Cooley decided Sharks replacement Greg Bird was taken high by Sea Eagles second-rower Glenn Stewart in the lead-up to Bani's would-be score in the 68th minute of the Sea Eagles' 16-10 loss at Brookvale Oval.

"The fact is that Greg Bird copped a high shot and all the coaches were party to the decision during the pre-season that if there is contact high, it's a penalty," referees coach Robert Finch said.

"The players can be going for the ball, the arm might slip up off the shoulder, the tackled player might be falling - but if there is high contact then it is a penalty.

"I will have a good look at that incident tomorrow and you can ask me then if it was the right decision."

CRONULLA 16 (B Goodwin, B Kearney tries; L Covell 4 goals) MANLY 10 (A Watmough, M Bani tries; M Orford goal) at Brookvale Oval. Referee: J Maxwell. Crowd: 15,424.

The decision will be "correct call" they never go back ont he decisions.

The fact was it wasn't a tackle it was a clash as they both went for the ball.

The ref's policing of high shots was ridiculous on the weekend, the flow of the game was completely killed by an over zealous whistle blower. That said the sharks deserved to win as much as Manly

The same thing happens every season, they pick a rule to police and the refs blow the pea out of the whistle for the first 2 rounds till everyone gets the sh!ts and then they just let it revert back to what it was before. We've seen it with play the balls (foot making contact with ball), off side, flops, etc... etc....This year it will be contact with the head, grapple tackle, or whatever you want to call it.

That penalty on Stewart for his hit on Bird was as gay as they come. Explain the difference between that and Crockers hit on Stewart in the GF ??

The bottom line is the refs have a tough job, but they are never subjected to public scrutiny. There are examples of blatant incompetence every week, especially with knock ons, yet they escape with little or no punishment. And this new rule where the video ref can rule on strips if there is a break in play will make matters worse. Refs will now call a scrum every time there is a drop/strip and leave it to the video ref to sort out. This will slow the game down, and does little to encourage the refs to show some conviction.

Finch is the problem here. He has overseen a dramatic drop in standard since the time of Harragans retirement and an exodus of referees, lowering the current stocks.

The only worthy intiative has been the targeting of recently retired players to become refs and i dont think that was his idea.

Finch acts like a politician when challenged. He & those in his fiefdom can never be seen to be wrong or inept.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4