Referees

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
I was watching a of union game between Randwick and Easts. What got my attention was the refereeing.

The NRL could take a leaf out of their book. The referee is polite to the player, calls them by number not name and explains his decision. I didn't see any player rush up and contest the decision, they just got on with it.

There was also a video ref decision where a player claimed he scored a try. The ref, indicated in the same way as league that he thought it was a try, he then asked the one in the video box to have a look who had a couple of looks and told the on field ref that in was inconclusive.
The ref say no try and the game continues.

In League it seems the refs don't respect players and vice versa.

No one watches the union, so it doesn't mater...lol

You must be bored Swoop??

I agree with you @swoop...but is that because in club rugby the stakes aren't quite as high,
there's less exposure, hence less EGO involved
compared to, let's say, the NRL?

I think some - not all - refs in the NRL like the
spotlight and the power out there, plus with a dozen cameras, replays and the players, media and fans watching and questioning your every move, the pressure is exponentially greater.

Probly a combo of factors create this gulf; but
I don't mind actually, watching a Shute Shield
game on Sat arvo, for that very much change of pace and atmosphere you mention.

In Super rugby and International rugby the referee refers the try to the Video referee and simply says to him "is there any reason i can't award a try?" No bull ****. No referees opinion. The video ref looks at it and simply gives his decision.

I also like short arm penalties which are basically a tap and go type scenario for minor infringements. Calling 6 again would be an ideal penalty for a ruck infringement in league. Would stop the pea being blown out of the whistle and i reckon defending 2 sets in a row without a pause would cut out a lot of the $hit.

Its an interesting one. Greenturd not long ago preached that players shook hands with officials at the end of games. Its hard to see that happening when their is genuine dislike between some players and some officials. Tone of voice needs to change before respect happens. Now guys like captain drizzle virtually ref games and the pinkies behave cause of the power he yields. Id love it to be one ref controlling the game. Too many decisions are out sourced now.

swoop said:
I was watching a of union game between Randwick and Easts. What got my attention was the refereeing.

The NRL could take a leaf out of their book. The referee is polite to the player, calls them by number not name and explains his decision. I didn't see any player rush up and contest the decision, they just got on with it.

There was also a video ref decision where a player claimed he scored a try. The ref, indicated in the same way as league that he thought it was a try, he then asked the one in the video box to have a look who had a couple of looks and told the on field ref that in was inconclusive.
The ref say no try and the game continues.

In League it seems the refs don't respect players and vice versa.

You are totally correct. I watched portions of that game and was struck by the same opinion. The referee was terrific, and handled a fiery match with common sense and obviously had the respect of the players. Unlike union refs at Test level, this guy was not pedantic and let the game flow as best as possible.
Frankly, Sydney rugby is much more interesting to watch than higher level rugby because they play running rugby.

When I played you were always told to refer to the ref as sir. They inturn heard and respected a captain's query, these days captains are told to go away and players backchat under their breath.

I really think it would be a better image for the NRL if referees, players were more respectful to each other.

I know it's all about the dollars and must win at all costs at the moment, but surely they should be able to come up with something where both players and officials are respected.

The rules this year that captains can't question a ref is ridiculous. (I know they introduced it because some captains abused it by trying to slow the game)

I haven't watched much Holden cup but a challenge system seems to be the way to go. One challenge per half, if unsuccessful you lose it or if successful you keep it.

Rugby is so slow they have time for a good ol' chat with tea and biscuits.

mickqld said:
Rugby is so slow they have time for a good ol' chat with tea and biscuits.

I never watch union usually for that reason mick. I was flicking through the local tv channels and came across this game. No other sport or anything to watch. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad.

Maybe if you watched it you would see how wrong you are. It's the classic arguement by people that have no idea.

Refs must stop referring to players by their names. They are not their mates, they are their bosses on the field. Numbers and colours only please

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4