Referral System

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
What are peoples thoughts ?

In theory I suppose it's a good idea, but in practice I'm not sure if I'm a fan yet. I think it makes it harder on the umpires and if anything they are less likely to give decisions for fear of having egg on their faces if it gets overturned, especially once the fielding side use their 2 challenges.

It's definitely not a perfect system as seen by a couple of the decisions in the Eng v WI test.

good in theory, needs kinks ironed out.

the problem in the West Indies is that Harper is incompetent, Rauf is doing a far better job in SA.

They need to use the hot spot technology - apparently in the next tes they have shelled out for it so that should help.  Otherwise the video cant help much with fine edges in caught behinds or LBWs. 

Also its a confusing system - the video ref doesn't actually overrrule the on field ump, he tells him what the video shows and lets the on field bloke decide if based on that he should change his decision. 

i like it

it rules on the technicalities only as gronk says all it does is give more info to the unpire. I also agree that hawkeye cannot be used to predict movement after the ball has hit the pad.

It will never be perfect but since the technology is there then why not use it

They do use Hawkeye to track the ACTUAL path of the ball up to the point of impact, anything after that is purely technological interpretation. Whilst it is probably pretty accurate (not sure on exact tolerance) their argument is that it cannot be 100% guaranteed.

To mine mind the technology is probably accurate to at least a ball diameter, so they should track all the way to the point of impact (or not) with the wicket. If it shows that only part of the ball would have hit the stumps then the 3rd umpire could relay that information to the field umpire and they can choose to apply a benefit of the doubt if they wish.

Look at the ridiculous situation they had with Johnson's appeal against Kallis (the one that stayed low from short of a length). Hawkeye showed the ball pitching right on the edge of the leg stump line with about half the ball over the line and half outside.......a bee's dick either way. The commentators then had the hide to criticise Bowden for initially giving it out, FFS the ball is travelling at about 140km/hr and lands a millimetre outside leg......how do you pick that up with the naked eye. I for one was giving Jaques the royal send off when I saw it in real time.

Chip & Chase link said:
The commentators then had the hide to criticise Bowden for initially giving it out, FFS the ball is travelling at about 140km/hr and lands a millimetre outside leg......how do you pick that up with the naked eye.

Haha, yes!! That did me in completely. I don't mind sticking the boot into Billy, because he's made some shocker in the past couple of years, but he got fair dinkum stitched up on that one. With the help of the video ref it was probably a 52/48 decision in favour of Kallis staying, but to give the umpire grief... That's just not right!

The thing with Hawkeye is it isn't all that accurate for cricket as it is in tennis.  It works by having a bunch of cameras track the ball, but how well can they do this when they are say in the stand at the MCG (~300m) away compared to in tennis where they are no more than 50m away?

Hot spot is the most conclusive I think. 

Hotspot is only of use for LBW's if the batsman has got a bit of bat on it, in which case it'll show up and the decision will go the way of the batsman. I doesn't solve the problem of determining whether the ball would have hit the stumps.

The other reason that they haven't used Hot Spot is I believe the Jarpies don't have the technology available to them, nor do the Windies for that matter, so it hasn't been employed yet.  

hotspot will also tell you whether the ball hits bat/glove/arm etc on caught behind appeals as well as whether th noise came from bat on ground or ball and other things like that.

Hot-spot warms up for second Test in Durban
From correspondents in Dubai
March 06, 2009 Hot-spot technology, which judges whether or not a batsman has edged the ball, will be trialled in the second and third Tests between South Africa and Australia, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said Thursday.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6