Refs: joke, joke, joke, joke, joke

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The forward pass is the bane of this game. Either police it in a sensible fashion, or allow forward passes.

bazeagle said:
Tonight's match - Luke Burt runs smack into the ref, could have got to the storm player to effect a tackle. Dorky massive clown ref says to Burt: "We have to be somewhere". Yes ref. Just not there. If there was only one ref - problem gone. Massive issue - that try doesn't get scored if Burt tackles the storm player, maybe Eels win? Who knows?

I an issue with this. Say if Burt is going for the ball and collects Referee Joe Bloggs with a stray elbow and accidentally breaks his jaw or something(hey it could happen look at Jeff Robson tonight). Guarantee that Burt get's suspended even though it was the referee's poor positioning.

bones said:
Burt would have got nowhere near the ball before slater.
You're missing the point bones. It's not about the ball, it's about Burt not having a fair chance to effect a tackle on the storm attacking player that resulted in a try because the ref was in the way.

bazeagle said:
bones said:
Burt would have got nowhere near the ball before slater.
You're missing the point bones. It's not about the ball, it's about Burt not having a fair chance to effect a tackle on the storm attacking player that resulted in a try because the ref was in the way.

I'm not missing the point. Common sense was used. If Manly had a try disallowed because of something similar we all be blowing up.

No Bones. You're still missing the point. Lately there have been multiple player/ref collisions. The point is there is one too many refs on the field (ie 2) and they are, due to their stupid overzealous behaviour, fully interfering with play. Having a player collide with an official should be amazingly rare. Worryingly in the NRL this is now becoming commonplace. That's the point. Get rid of the second ref. Put him up in the box with the blind video ref.

bazeagle said:
No Bones. You're still missing the point. Lately there have been multiple player/ref collisions. The point is there is one too many refs on the field (ie 2) and they are, due to their stupid overzealous behaviour, fully interfering with play. Having a player collide with an official should be amazingly rare. Worryingly in the NRL this is now becoming commonplace. That's the point. Get rid of the second ref. Put him up in the box with the blind video ref.

No Bazeagle, i haven't . There are two points you have been trying to make. One was that that Burt didn't have a fair chance to get to the ball. The other point you are trying to make is there are too many referees. I agree with you that there are too many referees but on the game last night, I think Burt would have gotten nowhere near the ball so the try should stand. I agree though, that by getting rid of one of the referees we greatly reduce the chance that this will happen again. My first post on this thread was saying that I think the try last night should stand. I was not commenting on whether there are too many referees. On that point I do agree with you.

The refs gifted the game to the Storm with the penalty against Smith for holding down. I didn't think it warranted a penalty, but then again I wasn't refereeing to get the Storm home.

The collision between Burt and referee last night wouldnt have been avoided even if there was 1 ref. He was the referee in the defensive line which is where the referee would usually be. Bad luck - Yes, but thats the game.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6