Refs to crack down on basic rule

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/referees-to-crack-down-on-10-metre-rule-in-2012-nrl-season-boss-bill-harrigan-says/story-fn2mcuj6-1226279876496?from=public_rss

NRL referees have been instructed to be stricter with ruling the defensive 10 metres this season, after complaints of inconsistencies were raised by coaches last season.

While the overall feedback from coaches relating to the two-referee system - introduced in 2010 - was positive, referees' boss Bill Harrigan said there were concerns over discrepancies in how far the whistleblowers would take back a defensive line.

"We found that with the two referees, occasionally you would have one who would set a 10 metres where the other (in the same game) might bring defenders back 12 metres for example," Harrigan said.

"We had some spectators who'd mentioned it, a couple of coaches had highlighted some examples and we also noticed in our debriefs that there was a little bit of inconsistencies in our 10 between the two refs in our game.

"We have acknowledged this and we thought we could rectify that in 2012."

Harrigan said some of the responsibility would be put back on players who have been incorrectly lining up in previous years by only placing their back foot in line with the referee - rather than having their body mass in line, as outlined in the rules.

"This year, I'm asking the clubs to get out of the habit of just putting their foot back in line with the referee," Harrigan said.

"They should now line up their body mass, which is what the rule is - you're supposed to be behind the referee.

"If we go back 10 and a player goes back and only puts his back foot in line with the ref, then he's probably only about nine metres.

"So all we're asking them to do is come back in line with the referee.

"And from there, we'll keep it as consistent as we can between the two refs in each game."

Also coming under the spotlight in 2012 will be the controversial "cannonball" tackle, which gained notoriety last season with a string of incidents involving players diving at the legs of an opponent who has already been tackled.

Under the 2012 guidelines, referees will call a penalty if "a player forcefully spears his body at an opponent's legs in a dangerous manner".

Harrigan says it will be up to the referees' discretion what will be deemed "forceful", however he felt the game took giant steps last season to outlaw the ugly tackle.

Not enough competent refs to go round is the main problem. They can talk all day about rule changes and interpretations but in the end if you've got crap refs you're going to get crap refereeing decisions.

Moondog said:
Not enough competent refs to go round is the main problem. They can talk all day about rule changes and interpretations but in the end if you've got crap refs you're going to get crap refereeing decisions.

Video refs should be able to tip them off.

The only thing wrong in the past has been inconsistencies , getting players back further wont change that.
The hard part with 2 refs is they both adjudicate differently on every aspect in the game from laying in the ruck , advantagous tackles, distance of the defensive line.
Imo to gain more consistency 1 ref should make defensive calls & the 2nd ref rules the attacking calls only. The only prob I could find with this system would be quick turnovers.
Truth is there will always be glitches in footy due to human error - we all complain at times & many TV has nearly had my foot through it but when it comes down to it - if a team has resilience & attitude the bad calls can be & usually are erased.

"The hard part with 2 refs is they both adjudicate differently on every aspect in the game from laying in the ruck , advantagous tackles, distance of the defensive line."....I agree. There is a much greater chance of consistency in the refereeing with one referee, I've hated the two referee idea from the outset. Pity they just won't bite the bullet and admit it's failed.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8