Refs to "hunker in their bunker"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The NRL has moved a step closer to introducing a video referee bunker after head of football Todd Greenberg launched a blueprint for the future on officiating matches.

In a bid to "improve the efficiency, consistency and accuracy of match officials", Greenberg said the NRL would review operations, including.
A feasibility study into a Central Command Centre where "in game" decisions can be made. It is possible the centre could be trialled as early as midway through next season. Ultimately, it could include a social media hub so that decision making is quickly communicated to fans and members.

An examination of all aspects of the elite match officials program including the current two-referee model.

Asking experts, including former Australian cricket coach John Buchanan and Rugby League Immortal Bob Fulton, to investigate options to improve the performance of the game's elite referees.

etc etc etc

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-a-step-closer-to-video-referee-bunker-20140827-108zqr.html#ixzz3BYtSCx1s

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.
When will they admit having two referees has been a massive failure?
And until they allow the video refs to rule on obvious forward passes then it is an incomplete system.
I have always argued against off-the-park rulings, but it looks like video reffing is here to stay. What a pity. It has killed a lot of momentum from the game, led to greater controversies than ever, and ruined fans' enjoyment of the spectacle.

Yet another talkfest , but it might just work.

Reduce the refs to one on field, and the bunker decides on try's / and anything the one ref missed.

Surely with a heap of them looking on they can get rid of 90% of the bad decision.

If they want to trial it, why don't they have a bunker for the last 2 rounds for all of the NYC & NRL games (eg: Canberra v Tigers this weekend) that have no bearing on the final series?

Bob Fulton and John Buchanan....ha ha ha....Experts, in what, that is gunna help the referees...Bozo wanted to run them over and Buchanan cant say I know of him ever playing the game .....

Greenturd at his useless best..... and he gets paid to put this cr@p out

Once the average punter at the ground can't work out what the heck is going on, you've lost the war.

Well done NRL. A bunker proves you've jumped the shark. Call fulltime and put some real rugby league people in charge of the rules & referees then get rid of the 2nd referee and video.

The best system was the ingoal touch judges. You see it on Fox classic games all the time and they got most decisions right and it took about 3 seconds.

Frogz said:
....Experts, in what, that is gunna help the referees...Bozo wanted to run them over

That sounds like a pretty good start to me. Surely Shayne Hayne's cement truck is long overdue.

globaleagle said:
It is possible the centre could be trialled as early as midway through next season.

This is where the NRL fails completely compared to the AFL. In Aussie rules land, they trial most proposed changes in their pre-season competition and trial games and asses how things went in those games where the ultimate prize...ie the season premiership is NOT going to be affected.

What is it with the NRL and making rule changes or changes in the way the referees operate in the middle of the damn season?

If Greenturd thinks this is a good thing.....well it says a lot for those running the NRL doesn't it.

NRL has officially jumped the shark. :dodgy:

"When I say we'll look at the two-referee model, we could look at three referees," Greenberg said.

Greenberg allayed concerns the bunker would lead to more stoppages, predicting it would instead speed up the decision-making process. "It's got such an ability to be a game-changer, it could be rugby league's biggest improvement since the introduction of video refs," he enthused.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/three-referees-a-possibility-as-nrl-appoints-bob-fulton-and-john-buchanan-to-review-the-game-rules-20140827-1096jz.html

Hahaha Greenknob putting his ugly mellon on tv last night spruiking his brave new world. What an almighty peeeenis he is. No fkn idea and this is the man making decisions. God help the game.

The guy is a complete butthead. Someone should draw a line down the middle of his head so it looks like a butt.....

I loved that line in Cool Runnings lol.

I'm sure all of us have had problems with phone lines, Internet connection, Telstra, bad weather fusing out power etc...
This bunker idea relies on electricity and technology, and we all know how unreliable that can be. It's an embarrassment waiting to happen: "Game abandoned because of power failure!"

They'll blame it on El Nino, the Ballboy :p

Greenturd was obtuse before he started, but these inovations are truly ludicrous :dodgy:

I still want to know what the job spec is for Touch Judges :huh:
They used to be responsible for offsides, forward passes and general monitoring of foul play.

Well, it just goes to prove that the NRL actually read this forum.

And, sometimes they actually follow what has been said.

I suggested some time ago that with modern technology they could have a command centre say at Fox or nine and several video referees would watch every game and adjudicate rather than having them at the various grounds.

Because whether we like it or not the referees are influenced by the home crowd.

I of course like the idea as I (to the best of my knowledge) was the original person who suggested this be done on this forum last year when everyone was blowing up at the video ref over a bad call.

Sure there may be some teething problems and it may need to be massaged a bit so it'll work.

Bad weather may come into play and communications do sometimes fail. But the NRL could have reserve referees there to cover the rare occasion it may happen. I for one cannot remember when Foxtel lost coverage at a ground due to bad whether.

If we have three or four referees watching every game one week with a small turnover for the next week say one replacement each subsequent week. I spoke about this at length by the way. We will start to get consistency which is all we poor-suffering fans actually want.

I will do something I never thought I would - I applaud you Greenberg for taking this decision. Maybe the NRL are finally growing up from the 'chook-raffle' mentality in 2014.

So Greenberg take the credit don't even bother to thank me for this suggestion but all I ask is that you keep reading this forum and hopefully you'll get some more good ideas. :p

Good comment from De$. " No amount of bunkers will fix this mob".
While we have Greenknob grandstanding himself in the media over another ridiculous fool suggestion last night the pink clown fiasco continues. Not only is he presiding over the worst pack of refereeing clowns I've seen, the league continues to drop the ball at player recruitments. How the hell did the NRL not see a massive PR advantage in getting James O'Conner and Karmichael Hunt. What a coup it would have been to get Hunt to the Titans for a club flailing badly in crowds, corporate and media exposure compared to the Suns. On top of last years Izzy Falou fiasco and losing $BW and Bargearse this knobhead is actually worse than Gallop. Losing out constantly to rugby union thanks to a weak as piss administrator. We've just signed a billion dollar media deal and we can't keep or gain any of these players. It's a joke and it's time for this knobclown to go.

The Who said:
What crap. If the NRL took notice of the majority on here we'd have one referee, no video refs, sighted touch judges, home semi finals at Brookvale, an investigation into the Shame Hayne bribe allegation . . .

Hey Who, was the "what crap" comment directed at my post?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2