Regular season review

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
After week 8 we were 2 wins 6 losses. Statistics were against us making the 8 let alone going further into the finals. 'we're gone' was expressed a number of times, and if I didn't add my agreement I also didn't feel confident about dismissing the negative sentiments.

what are people's thoughts on the achievement of coming 5th? here's some reflections:

1. Des is an excellent coach to get us to here. Sticking with the existing squad for the most part was the right decision and likely helped alot with steadying the ship. Even if some of the team lineup specifics weren't working overall the faith shown in (and the responsibility put on) the top 17 paid off. Only after a platform was laid did some experiments and changes come.

2. The broncos game was a key turning point.

3. Individual decisions/performances:
Bailey at 5/8 didn't pan out. If snake had been there it might have. Very useful backrower/playmaker backup. I understand why des persisted as long as he did with the 'experiment' given the backline stocks and defensive trouble....

Farrar and Robbo switch in the Melbourne game: genius.

Rodney was great, esp. early on.
T-rex is either too young in the head for now or just won't make it in the top grade at any stage. He certainly got a fair go (at least in the backs), and I don't think he's viable in the pigs with the effort he brings right now.

Foran promotion perfectly timed.
JW - Heargraves still a bit green for first grade.
Farrar pickup has been a critical positive step given the backline injuries and defense instabilities at one stage.

4. Orford: Orford's been up and down but overall central to the good end result. If we lost him like bulldogs have lost kimmorely we'd be similarly stuffed for the finals. (Orford + Lyon is our best shot at going on from here as too much depends on Orford when Lyon is not prominent in playmaking.)

5. Other most valuable consistent contributors: Rose, King, Lyon, G Stewart and WATMOUGH (expecting major things from him in the finals). Honourable mention for Robbo filling in at 1.

6. Weirdest game of the year: Tigers game; the more we opened them up in the first half, the more points they scored.

7. Most heartwarming and significant results: Broncos away, Bulldogs at home, Storm away, Titans at home.

Whatever happens from here, a good platform for 2010 has been laid. Hopefully management gives itself an uppercut and gets it **** together, the stewart case is dismissed or not guilty (and hopefully for the right reason), and the mighty eagles don't sabotage themselves next year.  

Good summary.

For all T-Rex's shortcomings, he did finish as our top try-scorer, didn't he?

I would also be quite critical to our SOO props in Kite and Perry. This year, Rose and King were out dominant props.

Well if we can go back to back after this year and all the bumps & bruises we copped - mostly of our own making, we can win the next ten comps as well.

It has been a season of a lot of ups and downs and we have all copped it for being Manly supporters. To finish 5th is an incredible achievement but we blew a few games near the end to get us higher. "Broncos away, Bulldogs at home, Storm away, Titans at home" - they were the highlights for me too.

Warriors, Tigers, Titans losses on the bell hurt bad, leading Souths 12 Nil at home and getting belted.

Could have been a  lot better even taking into account all the crap.

The highlight for 2009 will be when Brett gets his day in court

What really counts is if we can continue the form of the weekend into the final series.

If we can maintain that same ruthless defence backed up with the instinctive predatory attack then it will be very very hard to stop us. Just hope the boys will keep their mind on the job at hand.

Not wanting to get ahead of myself but what better way to finish off the year as back to back premiers and better still winning it from 5th spot. Wouldn’t that really rub salt in the wounds of every person that has hated the Sea Eagles, bagged or even wrote this team off. Now that’s what I call satisfaction if we can actually pull it off and if we can’t I still will be content knowing that we are in good hands and have never ever won the dreaded wooden spoon.  
  ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

If the boys play like that for the remaining games, even if we lose, it wont matter, because that was the best you could hope for, they tried their guts out and played ALMOST to their potential. It's scary to think but there is more improvement in them

Maybe we should blood some youngsters for the finals series in preparation for next season? Drop a few senior players and bring in some U20's.

Volley link said:
Maybe we should blood some youngsters for the finals series in preparation for next season? Drop a few senior players and bring in some U20's.
You mean like Foran and JWH?

good idea!

Look, getting into the finals is a  good result and it gives us more games to be involved in.  I for one didn't like the Robbo thing or the Big Tony experiment.  They both went on for way to long.  The plug should have been pulled earlier.  Farrar should have been there from day one.  Big Tony was excruciating to watch.  Orford's contribution hasn't been great all year, but I won't go on.  He played his best game last weekend and hopefully that's a turning point.  Our two SOO front rowers have been disappointing since those days but the others have stood up.  Pity King's injured.  We should have finished further up the ladder imo, but stupid game losses cruelled that.  The second half losses to Souths and the Tigers were really disappointing.  Not a great season.  We should have been first and taken the minor premiership.  We'll have to do it the hard way, but we'll do it.  GF 09.     

Fullback is such a crucial position DSM that you simply couldn't have had Farrar there from day one, he needed time to settle into the team and the moves

Robbo was the right, and safe option for the majority of the season

Really we should have won vs the Warriors, Panthers, Titans and Tigers but were pipped at the post. Amazing to think how we would have went without all of the controversy at the start of the year and the BS injury.

DSM5 link said:
Orford's contribution hasn't been great all year, but I won't go on.  

Way too late to say you won't go on, that horse has well and truly bolted.  :) But agree that Farrer should have been f/b from day 1 when signed.  Despite all the positive spin, realistically Robbo was a square peg in a round hole at fullback, offering zip in attack and leaking tries in defence.  Just like when he played there for Scotland.  And his move there weakened our strongest wing spot.  

There is an old coaching saying " Never weaken a position to strengthen another" - Des must not have heard that one.....

Rex, I meant 'I won't go on', on this thread.  Plenty of time to appraise Matty's performance later.  It's great that we're still in there and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we do go on and win the big one.  We would have put 50 on the Tits if Lyon had of been out there on Saturday.  The Storms forwards are thin and with Lyon organizing the backline we will beat them.  The most disappointing thing this season is the losses.  I know that a team must have them, but some of ours were diabolical and unnecessary.  Kiwi, it was apparant from seasons past that Robbo was just not a f/b.  One from the Qld Cup would have been better from the start.  Des's archilles heel is that he has this loyalty thing.  It's alright if one delivers.  I just hope he doesn't keep JWH in the pack.  The guy just can't tackle and has soft hands.       

I doubt we would have found a rookie reserve grade fullback that performed the solid role Robbo did for us

I am with you on JWH, I would prefer Cuthbertson if King isn't fit. Cuthbo will have the fire burning in the belly about missing the GF last season, and knowing that if he gets an opportunity, he must take it, because that will not be forthcoming at Cronulla

You know Kiwi, I feel sorry for Cuthbo going to the Sharks.  They are such a low grubby club, so far away and cold and windswept.  Stuart is such a kunt as well.  Seems like a real retrograde step for one who may contain talent.  I've bagged him in the past but maybe there is a footballer in there somewhere.  I hope he gets a chance and doesn't stuff up in the finals.

Pretty **** year, and we still faired better than 11 other teams, haha!

That one **** up at the Titans game is the difference between finishing 3rd and 5th.

agree that cuthbo might be the best pick for the bench until kingy gets back (and given how long it takes the big units to get up to speed, maybe that's all folks for kingy this year).

cuthbo will be desperate to do the business out there, and jw-h is so green: he looks like a big herman munster in need of some finesse. cuthbo has that in spades. If he picks his moments to offload he could be great (if we get past this first game).

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8