Reni Matua

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
News said he may be leaving the Bulldgos. Do you think there is room for him in our pack?

He might be the running 5/8 we need, he plays a very similar game to Anasta. I reckon he'd be gagging to get back to the Bunnies myself, but I wouldn't be against the idea of him being signed for the right price. However if the Tupou rumour is on the money then we may not have any cash left to splurge.

To be honest we are sorted in the centres. I would rather have Matau here and playing 5/8 he can also fill in in lock and other places in the backrow if desperately needed.

But he is the versatility and fresh air we need, I have a feeling we will be linked with him early on

He's a liability off the field, no thanks, we need a passing/kicking 5/8 anyway, there are plenty of runners in the side. Souths or Roosters will pick him up. Would laugh myself silly if the Roosters lose Tupou and get Maitua to replace him.

Orford is proving every game that he can't play without a 6 that can pass and kick. We need a 6 that can ball play a bit. Beaver is the only one we have that fits this mould. I named the "available" players that would fit this mould in another thread, Chris Bailey, Richie Williams, Josh Lewis etc.

I am shocked that people think Beaver is a ball playing 5/8, he hasn't got a kicking game at all, can't really remember him putting players thru gaps etc

he is a running player, that's why the 2008 team is where it is, our 5/8's already have been lyon, willos and beaver, all players that don't direct a game, look at the form of lyon when out in the CENTRES compared to 5/8

Beaver played a running forward and most successful in league history for scoring tries, not setting them up, we are in this debacle because we have only 1 ball player in the squad, matty orford

why do u think we are playing this bland, boring grind it footy, it's because we have no regular link to the backs, I sat and watched the souths game looking up the field, the attack was the most predictable I have ever witnessed

Cliffy GC just mentioneed at MSE that Scott Hill (30 years old - not TOO old) may be an Eagle before June 30 this year ! I hope it's true. Imagine 2009 as:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Bani
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Michael Robertson
06. Scott Hill
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Anthony Tupou

14. Heath Le'Strange
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Josh Perry
17. Glenn Hall

with:-

George Rose, Jarred Wearra-Hargreaves, Jason Wells, Shane Neumann & co. coming through.

Hill could play to 32-33, giving the Foran brothers (I'm sure they'll both end up Eagles) 2-3 years to develop - and BOOM - the perfect transition.

He would provide steady direction & fit in with Orford well. Not a bad boot on him aswell.

Wasnt he playing for the Harlequins ??

Ryan link said:
Cliffy GC just mentioneed at MSE that Scott Hill (30 years old - not TOO old) may be an Eagle before June 30 this year !

Sounds very far-fetched, but I'd be all for signing Hill.

Except that it would give us a very "old Melbourne" feel - back in the days when they were good, but couldn't take the clutch games.

I wonder where Cliffy heard this? Can't see why Hill would want to leave mid-season, but if we could pick him up for 2008 then we'd be a much better balanced team. Killer/Matai in the centres, and of course Ox/Hill already have a fair combo from down South.

Really??

He'd be fantastic!

He's already partnered Orford before, right??
Personally, I'd love to see him come over NOW

As someone said on MSE that would give us 3 ex-melbourne broken down old hacks.  Melbourne let him go because he couldn't tackle and he was past it. 

He is probably about as useful as Willo and Vaileki now.

Next we will be signing Tawera Nickau to replace Beaver.

"Next we will be signing Tawera Nickau to replace Beaver."

At least he'd have an excuse for running in circles

Well these days Tawera only has one leg after a motorbike accident, so it might be a bit easy to work out which leg he is going to step off. 

Hill would be good, but only for two years max.  We NEED to DEVELOP one of our own young players to slot into that position.  No problem looking like Melbourne, that's who I'd like us  to look like. And Matua is another stupid piss head with an inflated ego.

Honestly can not see Hill leaving a lucrative $500,000 contract to sign up for what, less than $100,000 for this year.

How long is Liam Foran's contract with the storm?? Would sound better in my eyes if we sign Liam to play 5/8 for next year!!

Stiffi link said:
Honestly can not see Hill leaving a lucrative $500,000 contract to sign up for what, less than $100,000 for this year.

How long is Liam Foran's contract with the storm?? Would sound better in my eyes if we sign Liam to play 5/8 for next year!!

He's on the last year of his contract and he's keen to play alongside his brother in the future. At the moment Kieran is probably the biggest bargaining chip we have of getting Liam to the Sea Eagles. He obviously enjoys it with the Storm because they have a magnificent junior program and he gets to learn from the likes of Cronk, Smith and Bellamy, but I reckon Manly could get into his ear and lure him up north...

As for Hill: if we could fit him under the cap this year, then brilliant. If it means that we have to give him another go in '09, then I'm fine by that as well. But no longer than that.

willstyles link said:
I wonder where Cliffy heard this?
A talkback caller on "talking sport" mentioned he had heard a rumour about Manly getting Hill ASAP a few days back, may be where Cliffy heard it.

As you say a ready made combo with OX, would be very handy.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6