Reserve grade superstars

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shoe1

Journey Man
I read with interest the continual slapping down of players like Mullane, Bailey, Cuthbo etc.

Over the last 30 years I've seen more reserve grade games than I care to remember..

I recall the odd player who was really head and shoulders above other reserve graders, who then went on to fail in 1st grade. Some are:

Jye Mullane - he was in 1st grade when he came to NE/Manly with a dodgy knee I think. Once he was dropped and recovered, he carved up a few reserve grade teams in the centres. Made some remarkable breaks.

Sam Murphy - looked like he would score whenever he would get the ball (in reserves). Beat Mark Gerrard to a contract, so I'm told - neck and neck as juniors.

Brett Atkins - a 2nd rower with great pace, who went the length of the field many times in reserves. Had a brief 1st grade career as a winger with the raiders? later in career, but early promise failed to materialise.

Mark Pocock - was really hard to stop in reserves, fringe first grader.

Cuthbertson - saw him hit holes and score from 30-40m out a few times, a real matchwinner.

Phil Morwood - Flegg player of the year at one time

The jump from 2nds to 1sts is a big one.

Other "solid reserve graders" like Glenn Stewart end up playing for Australia, go figure.

Maybe you could use the second post to tell us what you are actually gettign at?

I can't tell if you are sticking up for the numpties, or saying they are hopeless??

The point: blokes can be fantastic in reserves, and crap in 1sts. It's a gamble & signings don't always work out well.

Reason for posting: boredom / no more games this year / nostalgia / reaching out to fellow fans

Cool, now i get where you are coming from.

and you are right, its not often the stars can achieve what they do without a healthy dose of a work ethic as well. Pure talent can only get so far.

That huge tongan unit always looked the goods in reserve grade, Sione Finefuiaki or something like that

Afamasaga looked awesome in reserves as well

Frank Stokes....

We had a goal kicking Kiwi guy in the early to mid 90's - Lavea (??) who looked awesome

tasesa  or something like that, i remember when he was at melbourne had a blinder in his 1st yr, then had that 2nd yr syndrome  & was released by them..

Mark Pocock got to play in the 1987 Grand Final - would give a good account of himself. He still managed to play 45 first grade games.

I remember back in the good old days when Manly's reserve grade side would have beaten most of the comps 1st grade sides! Arko and his creative accounting........

Goldie link said:
I remember back in the good old days when Manly's reserve grade side would have beaten most of the comps 1st grade sides! Arko and his creative accounting........

Not the '91 reserve grade side. They didn't win a game, did they? :)

Shoe1, the flip side is guys who have tonnes of talent and just dont fulfill that talent. I remember Jamie Oljenick(sorry if spelt incorrectly) playing for us in the early-mid 90s. Some used to say he was as good as Fittler. Didn't go very far but.
I remember Sam Murphy. So much said about him and he only played a few minutes of 1st grade.
Other players that were great reserve graders.
Luke Dorn.
Michael Bani.
Grant Wooden.

My favourite reserve grader was Max Krilich. He was clearly a class player yet was stuck in reserves for several years. Never left for greener pastures. Of course when he finally got his start he became an international and test captain.

lsz link said:
Not that guy...

Just hit me! Billy Weepu was his name (i think)

Don't know if he would have been a goal kicker ? 130kg front rower from the few times I saw him play. His nephew Piri is certainly a good kicker though

Here is a name to throw out there for the older blokes.
Does anybody remember a guy by the name of Mark Edward playing for Manly back in the 70s ?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6