Resilience Lacking For Manly: Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett will be looking to build much-needed resilience in the coming weeks following his team's 36-22 drubbing at the hands of the Wests Tigers on Monday night.

While ill-discipline came in the form of eight penalties and 10 errors, Barrett said the Sea Eagles' inability to defend at crucial moments was their undoing.

In the end Manly had to defend almost 10 more sets than their opponents.

"I thought the longer the game went, the more confidence we would have got. We just didn't help ourselves throughout the game with fourth-tackle penalties – I think we had five of them," Barrett said.

"We compounded every penalty with an error. Twenty-two points should be enough to win. We know they're a good attacking side but we have some work to do in that area especially when it comes to being more resilient on our try-line."

With the game locked up at 16-all just after half-time the Sea Eagles failed to kick on from their mid-game efforts, despite Dylan Walker, Lewis Brown and Jorge Taufua helping the side to three consecutive tries.

In the end it was Kevin Naiqama and Man of the Match James Tedesco who would ruin the Sea Eagles' prospects by combining for four tries and three try assists between them.

It leaves Manly winless with the opening fortnight of the season now complete following their Round 1 28-6 capitulation against the Bulldogs.

"We were right in the game. I thought in patches we were a hell of a lot better than last week and then in other issues we let ourselves down again," Barrett said.

"Until we can get that 80 minutes of consistent footy and doing everything right, we're going to find ourselves in that position again. There were some good things there but there are certainly some things we need to address.

"We're all in it together and there's no easy fix. We just have to keep working hard."

Barrett refused to use the absence of veteran fullback Brett Stewart as an excuse either, with the former NSW and Australian custodian battling ongoing hamstring issues.

"[Stewart will] obviously make a huge difference to us with his leadership and his talk but certainly the loss wasn't through lack of personnel," Barrett said.

"We won't hide from what we did wrong. We just need to fix it."

Can't help you with all those problems coach, but can I suggest you get somebody else to select the team.

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
He seems right in the analysis about winning a game with 22 points, now the hard part, addressing the defence to get it done.
No team in 2016 will beat Tigers in a shootout....NZ would go closest & they couldn't match it last week.

Doesn't he simply mean: we lacked the traditional Manly culture?
Not surprising. He's one of only two (I believe) non Manly coaches, and the influx of non-Manly staff and players gives this team a feeling of a representative team without a common bond.

Oh dear, we have big problems............!

Our attack was utter rubbish and our defence the worst I have seen it since, well since the Northern Eagles era. Our basics non existent, we have over paid plodders and our coaching staff and owners are in Disneyland. All while the propaganda machine peddles out what a wonderful world through the speakers.

TB is not up to first grade coaching standard at present and I don't know if he ever will be. And Bozo and Penn have not built anything of value that I can see, they have just damaged the spirit of Manly, they can't ever fully break it but seriously they are having a good go at it.

He seems right in the analysis about winning a game with 22 points, now the hard part, addressing the defence to get it done.
No team in 2016 will beat Tigers in a shootout....NZ would go closest & they couldn't match it last week.
Listening to the post match on the radio one of the Tigers said that JT had swallowed his pride and is listening to how the players want to play.
It seems they are better at coaching than Taylor.

Y
Doesn't he simply mean: we lacked the traditional Manly culture?
Not surprising. He's one of only two (I believe) non Manly coaches, and the influx of non-Manly staff and players gives this team a feeling of a representative team without a common bond.
Yep. Resilience has traditionally been our stock in trade.

Vince Lombardi (once the coach of the Green Bay Packers) once said:
Players WIN games, and
Coaches LOSE games...

He also once said:

"I never lose two in a row with the same team of faces "

Last edited:
I was so shocked with how bad we were round 1. All the talk in the off season about how we had rebuilt the club and we were now top 4 and how good a coach Trent Barrett is etc etc made me think we would come out and play like we did from 05 to 14 under Des and Tooves. Instead after about 25 minutes I realised that we were absolute rubbish. Unfortunately the Tiges game was more of the same.

It's only early days though however we just seem so far off the pace. Our defence especially out wide is shocking.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7