Robbo and Oldfield

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Great effort from the lads tonight against a pretty good side. That is the best performance from Souths I have seen in quite some time. But the way we fought back on numerous occasions was commendable. Whilst no one could ever question his loyalty, commitment and dedication, I feel that Manly might be better served with a different winger than Robbo. Not sure about you guys, but every time the ball was spread to the left, I knew that nothing special was going to happen at the end of it. However on the other side, Oldfield is an absolute gun the way he hits the holes at speed, which sadly is what poor old Robbo is lacking these days. Oldfield has something special. Everytime he gets the ball, there is a feeling of anticipation. Robbo has been a great servant to our club, but he offers very little in attack and defensive positioning. Yes he scored 3 tries in the grand final, and no one will forget that. Anyway there is probably little point in raising this thread, for Des will NEVER drop him.

Robbo is one of the best wingers in the comp. If Oldfield turns out to be as half as good as Robbo Manly will be well served.  Bit rough to be blaming Robbo for tonights loss.

I know where you are heading but I think you are expecting Robbo to be an attacking winger - which in m opinion Oldfield is.

Robbo is a good defensive and great finishing winger - he has a few years in him yet (maybe this year an next) and has done nothing to deserve consideration of demotion IMO

Oldfield looks the goods, he's played a couple of 1st grade games and hasn't disappointed. Big and strong and has made the transition with no problems.

Not blaming Robbo for the loss whatsoever. Just stating that, in my opinion, our attack might be alot more dynamic with someone like Oldfield on the wing.

D willams is on thin ice, he's great when he's on the field but since 2008 he's been out injured and has only played a handful of games.

swoop link said:
D willams is on thin ice, he's great when he's on the field but since 2008 he's been out injured and has only played a handful of games.

That statement could also fit Snake if you wanted to. I think that they were both missed tonight (especially Brett).

I'm not blaming Robbo for the loss, but his days of being one of the two best wingers in the club are behind him.  Wolfie, Hoppa, Oldfield and at this point I'd be inclined to say even T-Rex are in front of him.

Robbo is a true winger and Oldfield is going to be good. Wolfie will have to perform he is on big coin and needs to start earning it.

Daddycool link said:
I'm not blaming Robbo for the loss, but his days of being one of the two best wingers in the club are behind him.  Wolfie, Hoppa, Oldfield and at this point I'd be inclined to say even T-Rex are in front of him.
Robbo would be in my team at this stage.

I thought that one of Robbos worst games but he's got enough credit in the bank still.  He's not going to get dropped.

What was poor from us tonight was our counting in defence, we weren't just outnumbered by one but several times the bunnies stretched us by 2 or 3.  Communication needs to be fixed up there.

Oldfield is good - all fresh & keen etc and may turn out to be one of the best outside backs we've seen but 133 consecutive first grade games is not to be taken lightly. How many games has Robbo cost us with errors etc - we'd be flat out counting them on one hand, not to mention knowing how to cross the stripe.
"Job Description NRL Winger - catch ball, score tries, solid defender,
no errors, experience an advantage."
Notwithstanding Des' loyalty, Robbo may not be the flashiest but gets the job done 8 .5 times out of 10. ;)

Daddycool link said:
I'd be inclined to say even T-Rex are in front of him.

Put down the bong and come out with your hands in the air.

I get Robbo does the job.  But will Oldfield do the same?  If so he is younger so we must make the hard call soon.  

Yeah T-Rex would be in front but Robbo would push him over & kick dirt in his face and T-Rex wouldn't know which way he went.

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=Daddycool link=topic=187252.msg329617#msg329617 date=1301657489]
I'd be inclined to say even T-Rex are in front of him.

Put down the bong and come out with your hands in the air.
[/quote]

I had a giggle at T Rex comment too.

Robbo is solid and great. It just when our stars are missing or we are not firing I think the expectation is to get more from Robbo, but the legend keeps up his high stand, which ends up being what we expect.

Oldfield definitely a great future prospect.

Cheers,
Teylu

Chip & Chase link said:
Robbo is one of the best wingers in the comp. If Oldfield turns out to be as half as good as Robbo Manly will be well served.  Bit rough to be blaming Robbo for tonights loss.

Lol at Robbo being one of the best wingers in the comp.

He's dependable. He's very handy on the end of a superb backline like he had in 2008. Oldfield can create things from nothing.

Oldfield's time is now. Robbo will get plenty of game time still; Matai is always suspended, Wolfman is made of paper. But at all full strength, Oldfield is a must.

Agree Volley.  Oldfield is improving every game.  He is powerful, makes metres and is young so has plenty of footy in front of him.  I love Robbo and Wolfman but if we have to choose 2 from the 3, Oldfield is in the 2. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2