Rookie of the Year contenders Dally M

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain of the Gate

Reserve Grader
Now that we are halfway through the season regular (well 1 game shy) I was thinking about which players would be in line for Dally M Rookie of the Year.
For those who don't know to qualify you have to have played in no more than 3 games in previous seasons. Buhrer still qualifies if my math is correct because the 3 games where he sat on the bench and didn't take the field don't count towards your game count. NRL doesn't officially recognise you as playing a game if you never take the field. Here is a list I put together. If I missed anyone or accidentally gave someone rookie status when they have played 3+ games, I'm sorry.

Broncos -Dane Gagai, Jack Reed
Raiders - Sam Williams
Sharks - Stuart Mills
Titans -Matt Srama, Ben Ridge
Sea Eagles - Jamie Buhrer, Daly Cherry-Evans, Daniel Harrison, Will Hopoate, Michael Oldfield, Tim Robinson
Knights - Beau Henry
Cowboys - Tariq Sims, Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa
Eels - Taniela Lasalo, Jacob Loko
Panthers - Nafe Seluini
Dragons - Kyle Stanley, Ratu Tagive
Rabbitohs - Chris McQueen, Kane Morgan
Roosters - Steve Naughton
Tigers - Aaron Woods, Ben Murdoch-Masilla, Jacob Miller, Jason Shirnack, Alan Shirnack
Warriors - Elijah Taylor

I think its easy to write off most of these players as they aren't playing regularly or doing enough in games to get the win.
My personal opinion is that it comes down to probably 5 players:

Jamie Buhrer has been solid all year, he has slipped a little in the last few weeks but if he runs strong in the 2nd half of the year he could take it.

Daly Cherry-Evans started off slow but the form he is finding and teh confidence he is gaining to let him run away with it.

Will Hopoate has to be well up there as a favourite, the only rookie on the list to make rep football, has set the world on fire, commentators and experts love him. Everyone is disappointed to see him leave the game for 2 years. I'm not sure if leaving will help or hinder him in the judges eyes.

Tariq Sims was strong in his first game and has played well every game. Is already in the starting squad when surrounded by fierce veteran 2nd rowers. All the experts and commentators love this guy as he is one of those x-factor players and is probably the favourite at this point.

Aaron Woods has been the Tigers strongest front rower and is making the guys around him look bad. The kid will be one of the star front rowers in a few years, when he and Fafita mature they will be one of the most devestating bookend pairings in the comp.

The dark horses may be Beau Henry and Matt Srama depending on how they spend the back end of the year, but they are long shots at the moment in my eyes.

What does everyone else think?

Can the Warriors win it?

Elijah Taylor has been good over there too.

But agree T Sims is probably the front runner followed by Buhrer and DCE.

DCE would have to pretty short odds at the moment.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hoppa was eligible this year because he only played 3 games last season.

yeah Taylor is a goodun.

if we go deep into the semis and DCE stays fit he should have a lock on it.

halves are up there as they always have the ball.

Sims would be a smokey

you're allowed to have played only 3 games in the prior season.
will only played 3 in 2010, so he is eligible for 2011 rookie of the year

first poster is wrong

From NRL:

A player is only made eligible for the Dally M Rookie of the Year if he has played in no more than three first grade games in previous years.

William Hopoate Played
Round 13 [06 Jun 10] L 6-22 v Broncos (H). [WG]
Round 14 [11 Jun 10] L 14-28 v Titans (A). [WG]
Round 22 [07 Aug 10] W 26-6 v Storm (H). [FB]

Guess based on that he is eligible. Hopa has to be a favourite then. I'll edit the original post.

Gareth Widdop from Storm only played a couple of games last year, not sure if it was more than 3 though. Also that bloodnut centre from Broncos Jack Reed only debuted this year didn't he ?

The rule is no more than 3 games.

Hoppa should be infront at this stage but hopefully DCE overtakes him by the end of the season. If that happens it means we are looking very good for a premiership. Sims is a chance and I also like Taylor but agree that Beau Henry is a smokie simply because he will be running the team now with Mullen gone.

There is a rumour going around over here that Shaun Johnson might debut this weekend, if he does, watch him, massive potential

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6