Rothtossers Rant this week

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
Australia's best sporting gossip with Phil Rothfield
Phil Rothfield The Sunday Telegraph June 24, 2012 12:00AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
Email

Jason Clark proposes to his girlfriend Lauren McCarthy. Source: The Daily Telegraph

WHO needs an NRL premiership ring when you have teammates who can help you give away the most important ring you will ever own?

In a touching story coinciding with the game's Women in League round, South Sydney star Jason Clark last week proposed to his girlfriend of six years - Lauren McCarthy.

And it was all caught on camera by the partner of teammate Dylan Farrell, Hayley, who passed on these exclusive photos.

Clark met Lauren on Maroubra Beach six years ago when they were both 16. They have been an item ever since. Their birthdays are two days apart and they even shared the same 21st party with 300 guests.

So last week Clark asked Lauren to join him at Maroubra while he was supposed to be going for a quick swim.

"She wasn't all that keen - it was so cold she wore her ugg boots," Clark said. "We were walking along the beach and I just said, 'Look up at the surf club'.

"My teammates Dylan Farrell and Josh Starling were holding up the 'Will You Marry Me' sign ... and I gave her the ring.

"It was a beautiful diamond from Affinity jewellers which Sam Burgess helped me buy."

Clark even asked Lauren's dad for permission the day before.

"It was a wonderful moment," Clark said, "Lauren hit me in the arm she was so shocked. She couldn't believe how I'd set it up by having the boys involved and by having pictures organised. It was really special and we'll never forget it."

A Rabbitoh girl gets one up on her father

CHECK out the beautiful little girl in the arms of former South Sydney forward Michael Andrews in this photo taken 20 years ago.

Like her dad, she's a rugby league player, too.

Emily Andrews, who was just six months old in the picture (left), turned out for NSW against Queensland at Penrith yesterday in the women's interstate match.

"I'm very proud," Emily said. "My dad didn't even play for New South Wales."

Andrews was an outstanding lock for the Rabbitohs between 1984 and 1993.

He also had five girls: Kathryn, Amy, Emily, Elizabeth and Victoria.

The Queenslanders were too strong in a willing clash at Penrith, winning 34-10. The Blues were in the game at halftime, trailing 16-10, but the Maroons finished too strongly.

Emily Andrews

Like father, like: Emily Andrews playing for NSW in the Womens State of Origin. Picture: Mark Evans.
Source: The Sunday Telegraph

Marital Blues for head honcho

STATE of Origin splits families, friendships and even the marriage of ARLC chairman John Grant.

Unlike plenty of others who moved north of the Tweed, the lovely Helen Grant remains a Blue through and through.

"My family wouldn't forgive me if I cheered for Queensland," she told one of our spies at last week's Women in League lunch at Woolwich's Deckhouse. Helen, we're glad you're one of us.

GUESTS at Manly's Eagles Angels luncheon on Friday to celebrate the Women in League round were shocked by a remark made by the MC, Manly board member Darrell Williams.

In front of hundreds of guests, Williams made a vulgar comment that went down like flat champagne at most of the tables.

I'm told it will be raised at the next board meeting.
[\b]

RICKY Stuart will be a busy man once he completes his commitments with NSW. Parramatta and Canberra are at the head of the queue among the clubs wanting to talk to him.

Don't discard the Roosters or the Dragons either.

The result of the Origin game doesn't matter. Stuart has done enough in making NSW competitive again to convince clubs he's the best head coach on the open market.

Manly in a $1m Stew

THE French rugby union club that stole Sonny Bill Williams from the Bulldogs is now chasing champion Manly fullback Brett Stewart.

The club's owner, Mourad Boudjellal, is prepared to offer almost $1 million a year to secure the NSW Blues star.

Stewart's manager, Darryl Mather, is understood to have been blown away by the size of the offer.

Manly have no hope of matching offers from rugby union in the northern hemisphere.

Making it even harder for the Sea Eagles is the fact money will be a major influence in Stewart's decision.

He lost a fortune in legal fees defending himself against the sexual assault charges in 2009 that were eventually thrown out of court.[\b]

Beau in the know

EVEN if Channel Nine loses the NRL television rights, Beau Ryan will have a job for as long as he wants one.

The network's supremo David Gyngell rates the Wests Tigers winger as an outstanding television talent - even better than Matty Johns.

"He's the most diverse, interesting and funny footballer-come-entertainer

I've ever seen," Gyngell said.

"It's there for everyone to see. He'll be with us long term."

Stakes raised in TV deal

THE NRL stepped up negotiations for the next broadcasting deal with high-level talks during the week. Networks Ten, Nine, Seven and Fox Sports all had a session with commission chairman John Grant, interim CEO Shane Mattiske and negotiators at separate meetings on Monday. It was made clear to Nine and Fox Sports that their first offer is well below what was expected.

Poms hit by a truck

THE days of English Super League clubs pinching our best NRL players are over. The game in England is going so bad that the naming rights sponsorship was recently given to the transport company Stobard in a contra-deal with no cash. The NRL values its naming rights sponsorship at $10 million a year.

Stobard will carry images of rugby league players on the sides of their trucks for three years. Some of the financially struggling clubs were relying on a share of the sponsorship money and are furious.

What the blazers ...

ALTHOUGH he has clearly outgrown it over the years, Randwick's favourite rugby son Jeffrey Sayle donned his only Wallaby blazer to celebrate his 70th birthday with friends at Tatts Club during the week.

The "Sailor" played his one and only Test against the All Blacks at Wellington in 1967.

Radio maestro Alan Jones flew in from Melbourne, where he is presently broadcasting and appearing in the musical Annie, to salute the former Galloping Greens and Sydney coach. His Wallaby captain that day at Athletic Park, Ken Catchpole, was among guests at the luncheon.

Game of chicken

AN unconvincing win over a grieving Wests Tigers side last Sunday has failed to paper over the massive cracks in the Roosters camp. This week alone, two players - Sam Perrett and Anthony Mitchell - tried to walk out on their contracts, upset at the dictatorial style of coach Brian Smith. The coach has lost the dressing room, leaving Roosters supremo Nick Politis with a massive dilemma - whether to back the coach or the players going into 2013.

SAINT
THE heartfelt response from the rugby league world following the passing of Robbie Farah’s mum, Sonya, and Mathew Scott’s mum, Dianne, showed the true spirit and wonderful camaraderie that exists in the game.

SINNER
SAM Kasiano is a great rugby league player, but surely when you sign a letter of intent to play for the Kiwis you are morally obliged to wear the New Zealand jumper.

SPOTTED
MAX Delmege on the L90 bus from Palm Beach to Wynyard on Wednesday, a far cry from the old chauffeur-driven hire car during his halcyon days as a property developer.

SPOTTED II
CHAMPION Queenslander Gorden Tallis and NSW Origin coach Ricky Stuart enjoying a beer at the Pyrmont Bridge Hotel last Wednesday after shooting NRL on Fox. Who would have thought two arch Origin enemies could break bread with the series headed to a decider?

Eagle-eyed
AN absolutely massive story is brewing inside the Manly Sea Eagles boardroom that will cause major embarrassment and almost certainly cost someone a job. Explosive details to be revealed very soon.[\b]

A bye baby
Congratulations to Karmichael Hunt and fiance Emma Harding on the birth of their baby daughter Halo. Hunt really is the ultimate pro, slotting the baby in the middle of the AFL bye week.

Sonny’s fight
THE only thing holding up an announcement that Sonny Bill Williams will join the Sydney Roosters is negotiations between his manager and the club about time off from training for a fight.

Shark’s big bash
THE bye fell in a perfect round for Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan, who celebrated the 21st birthday of his daughter, Jade, at Sharks Leagues Club last night.

Well done, Jim
MY great mate at Channel 7, Jim Wilson, lost his beautiful son Sam, aged just 6, to brain cancer two years ago. On Wednesday, Jim held a fundraiser trivia night at the Ivy. He raised $64,000 to help research into brain cancer. You can help too at www.braincanceraction.com.au .

Shirvo runs torch relay
FORMER sprint champion Matt Shirvington will be hosting the Olympics on Foxtel next month, but he says nothing will beat the experience of carrying the Olympic torch through the north of England. “The great thing with the relay is it truly symbolises that we are only days away from the Games and you can almost smell it,” Shirvington said.

Follow @Telegraph_Sport on Twitter and like Telegraph Sport on Facebook

1) any of the ladies who post her go to function and know what was said rothfield has been gunning for tinker because his mates with perry and rothfields deeply in the Greek whiteants corner

2) I smell a massive rat here. Bulldog said it was London Irish now rothfield is saying it Toulon. The other thing that's funny is they are trying to say Mather is he manager because Mimis is suspended but mimis was in England and peters even mentioned it in his podcast. It's very obvious that they are leveraging to get manly to increase their offer.

3) More bull**** and muckraking reading between the lines they are obviously gunning for bob r or tinker.

Amazingly good news for Snake- in the space of a couple of days (and without passing a ball in anger) he has successfully upped his salary from $850k per year to $1 million- and he now will be based in the French Riviera. If he shows some patience, I hear Roman Abramovic may make a $2 million per month offer for him to play soccer at Chelsea...

Vyssini said:
I hear Roman Abramovic may make a $2 million per month offer for him to play soccer at Chelsea...

i hear exactly the same rumour. Expect an announcement on Friday

Vyssini said:
Amazingly good news for Snake- in the space of a couple of days (and without passing a ball in anger) he has successfully upped his salary from $850k per year to $1 million- and he now will be based in the French Riviera. If he shows some patience, I hear Roman Abramovic may make a $2 million per month offer for him to play soccer at Chelsea...

That is GOLD. But remember, John Terry gets a certain % over whatever the highest paid player is, no matter !!

How's THAT for a contract.

"My salary is 5% higher, than whoever the highest paid player (beside myself is) on the team at any given time."

Wish I could wrangle that one at The Bank !

It is the second week in a row they have mentioned a massive blow up in the Manly board room shortly.

Anyone have any idea what is happening? Did someone stuff up on the order for free sandwiches?

Shark’s big bash
THE bye fell in a perfect round for Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan, who celebrated the 21st birthday of his daughter, Jade, at Sharks Leagues Club last night.

Slow news day? Surely he could have made up one more story about Manly?

Just with this uk rugby thing I think it's a smoother, remember when rothtool interviewed Brett prior to soo1 brett was quoted as saying he will take a paycut to stay at manly Its also funny how this revelation has only reached the ears of news ltd. it's nothing but a powerplay from mimis to milk more for Brett it's no different to orr asking the club to release Dce.

Let the truth begin
tweets
@wendy_harmer Rothfield in today’s Gossip newspaper says that GUESTS at Manly’s Eagles Angels luncheon on Friday to celebrate the (cont)
@wendy_harmer Women in League round were shocked by a vulgar comment made by the MC, Manly board member Darrell Williams Any truth ?

Response

@berkeley_eagle Nah. load of rubbish!

@wendy_harmer @berkeley_eagle It's usually ME that shocks everyone, apparently.

From @sharonlk65 
@wendy_harmer @berkeley_eagle Wendy you were fantastic, i had the best afternoon. Cant wait for the next one.

@sharonlk65 @berkeley_eagle We always have fun, and appreciated Darrell's efforts for the daunting task of attempting to herd we seagulls.

From @seaeaglenut
@berkeley_eagle @wendy_harmer I was there and NOONE said anything offensive. The entire function was a blast and enjoyed by everyone.
Me
@lynshields @wendy_harmer was Zorba & His puppy Ritchie there #Twoandtwo

@berkeley_eagle @lynshields @wendy_harmer i saw Zorba, didn't see the other one.

From @lynsheilds
@sharonlk65 @berkeley_eagle @wendy_harmer Ah Sharon, there's the source......

@Cambo96: @Danny_Weidler Do you think all this Europe rugby talk in the telegraph is just SFX trying to get Brett more money off manly?

His reply.

@Danny_Weidler: @Cambo96 the offer would be real - I think Brett would like to stay but he wants four years

Just on the ESL thing it's a definite possibility but it's more to do with clubs getting sick of paying overs for Aussie imports only to bolt home when the going gets tough.

But another comp is possibly going to emerge (might have some element truth to the Snake to France rumor) with some of the big French union teams (think Toulon etc)starting a RL team (somewhat ironic given what happened during WW2).
The French will have a possible Summer and Winter comp.

They made a mistake originally saying the london irish, now they realised the public arent fools its changed now to french clubs. Absolute rubbish and very poor execution of this tactic.

Zorba is back on the war path.
He is loading Ritchie and rothfeild with crap about Williams. Perry, Reilly.
He is doing this to help his Family get control of the Eagles.

He cant have a go him self as it will cost him his payout.
Any thing they write is loaded by him.
He needs to be run out of this club. He is the biggest trouble maker this club has ever seen.
When he runs out of money ,who will look after him? His family the Penn's.

voicefromthehill said:
ManlyBacker said:
You spilling the deans there lovefooty?

You could say we are feeling Zora's Roth...

I hope that the Telcrap gets rid of these hacks when they clean some staff out. The Telecrap has destroyed to many good people to help look after there mates. This is no matter if there mates are wrong they just do it to get square.

And what's the grubby little innuendo about Delmege catching the bus? So what? What's so wrong about catching public transport? If more people did it it ould be a better world. Just more rubbish from a rubbish journalist.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4