Rugby League and Federal Sports Funding

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambofan

Reserve Grader
Over 46 Million Dollars has been blown on the latest bid for the soccer world cup.

It is VERY apparent that FINA is a corrupted organisation.
Rowing receives over $5.5 Million Dollars a year and ,while we have had TWO world champions in the last year,surfing gets a measly $550,000.

Where is the funding for Rugby League development and should we be footing the bill for crappy elitist sports(see rowing)and sporting bids that feed the greedy mouths of corrupt sporting boards?

discuss....

Who paid the $46m for the soccer bid? 

Australia will be years away from ever having a chance to host the soccer world cup.  The USA will get is soon and then back to Europe and then South America and then probably China or somewhere else in asia.

If you work and pay tax..you and I did.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1291328715[/time]

And the soccer fans fall silent.......tweet....tweet.....

Post  automatically merged: [time]1291329144[/time]

Or is it FIFA..fifa ..fina..

Very pleased to hear of the Ozzie FIFA loss.  A successful bid would have sucked any money out of our sport.  Anyway I read that a little over 4000 fans turned out for a national soccer game this week.  Pathetic.  It's a European game, and Australia should tell Lowy to spend his own money before putting in a cent to promote his farce.

Heaps of soccer fans have been telling me how the we have to do everything asked of us by FIFA in the process of bidding for the world cup, and how FIFA get to do what they want because they are apparently big enough to justify doing what ever they want (including  screwing the NRL if our bid had been successful)

But one of those people was the first to complain this morning of the way Qatar was picked, complaining that FIFA think they can do what they want .... well everyone seems to keep letting them.

I gladly told him that if everyone keeps kissing their arse and bending over for them, then we can hardly complain when they act they way they do.

Simple solution, don't kiss arse and bend over, and just stay the hell away from FIFA.

More to the point..stage a coup and get all the teams on board effectivly making FIFA a non entity.If the knig stuffs his face in front of the starving masses,the king will be overthrown.

1714 fans turned up for the  Gold Coast v Queensland Fury game at Skilled Park.  What a joke.  Where's the interest Lowy?  $45 Million of our taxes down the FIFA drain (pockets).  Disgraceful.

DSM5 link said:
1714 fans turned up for the  Gold Coast v Queensland Fury game at Skilled Park.  What a joke.  Where's the interest Lowy?  $45 Million of our taxes down the FIFA drain (pockets).  Disgraceful.

You are foregtting the few hundred fans who turned up at the Quay at 2.00 AM to watch the annoucement - compare that to the Olympics win in 1993 when there were hundreds of thousands at the same spot.

DSM is spot on there is no interest - Lowy is deluded

As far as I am concerned the A-League is the equvilant of A-Grade League.

League does get government funding, hell the government is giving millions for the NRL to build a new headquaters to house NRL, ARL and NSWRL. A lot of teh government funding end up being used on redevelopments of grounds (which seems to always bi-pass brookie).

45 million sounds a lot but in the grand scheme it is only a very small percentage of the Australian GDP which is just shy of a trllion dollars. It was a 45 million gamble that didn't pay off. We were always long shots but had it paid off that 45 million would have reaped millions back in. No one complained when we spent a similar ammount trying to secure the Sydney Olympics. I'm no fan of FIFA, soccer or the world cup, but don't buy into the media hype over the numbers

It was farcical from day one, we were NEVER in the hunt and almost 50 Mil spent (of mine and your) money to get ONE vote.

The greatest WOFTAM (waste of ****ing time and money) this decade.

I like it when the Socceroos get into the World Cup, but do I get up at 2.00am to watch the games...no.

It may well be the "world game".....and there's no doubting there's a bucket load of juniors playing it but out of 10 in the "world game" we rate about .2 of 1 point.

I'll certainly never see a WC in my lifetime in Australia and I doubt if any of you young guys will either!!

The pity Wheel, is that Lowy seems to have duchessed both the State govts and the Feds, both parties out of 45 million of tax dollars.  I simply can't understand why he wasn't asked to put the money upfront himself.  Why anyone in their right minds would see Australia as a host of the 'world game' is simply deluded.  It's the fourth (by a mile) of the football games played here.  And Ben, the Olympics drained NSW of dollars, returning little.  The true dollar cost of that debacle will never be revealed.   It was to shameful, even for NSW pollies to disclose. The true cost to public services forgone, public servants stood down, state institutions used, white elephants constructed and still under-utilized, would shock the average punter.           

I actually think there's a great case for the Olympics to have a permanent home (probably Athens)....no corrupt bidding processes, every nations pays a "fee" to attend (thus keeping the funds going for the neccesary upgrades etc). How that would work with the "world game" I don't know.

Ralphie link said:
How good would Brookie be with $48 million spent on it.

Soccer is a disgrace.
imagine how dear the beers would be with an upgrade of that amount ..lol

Even if the relevant governments spent the money on soccer on Australia,it would have been better than giving it to those corrupt "trough dwellers" at fifa.Kids in junior soccer would have benefited.I know that doesn't help league's cause greatly,but,I want my tax $$ spent in OZ,not o'seas.

If the world cup was here it would have been great. Rectangular stadiums would have been upgraded, tourists would have come, the economy would have benefited, everyone would have been happy in the end. Much like the olympics.

if lowy put the money in himself, does that mean he gets all the profits, tv rights, merchandise sales, all that jazz? No. Thats just stupid guys.

Australia had just as much chance as anyone else there. They took it to a place that it had never been to, the middle east. It could have easily been Oceania. This corruption bullcrap broke well into the bid, the money was already spent.

It was last in South Africa, where does soccer sit in terms of popularity there? Behind Cricket and Union. Well behind. Forget the cross codal hate.

Soccer is huge in South Africa.  Take of the white blinkers and see what the real population play.  Anyway, cricket and yawnyon are white games over there.  Actually I can see a niche for league there if only our 'Dear Leaders' could put some years into it.  Why give SA to Union? 

Who has the money? Union and Cricket. Soccer is a poor persons game over there, not a game that puts bums on seats. Much the same can be said about Australia, more kids play soccer on weekends then any other sport in this country, id say adults as well but im not 100% sure. But it doesn't translate to putting bums on seats and generating revenue, league and afl win hands down.

You guys seem to forget that if we got the bid we would have had upgrades to many of our Rugby League grounds. Yes, $48 Million was wasted, but that is in hindsight. What if we had won? Then the Cowboys, Canberra and Newcastle would have received upgrades to their grounds, not to mention a new stadium in Western Sydney (Rectangular, not round) and a new ground in Perth which would have sealed a team over there in the future.

It was a good idea and well worth the splash in cash for the rewards. However, because of the corruption, we won't get any upgrades at all to our grounds.

There is only one way to stop the wasting of money and corruption, both in the Olympics and World Cup: give every country in FIFA a vote. That's 208 votes, with the president only getting a vote if it is tied. This takes out the bull**** that we saw where we were the only nation with no representative to vote for us on that ExCo.

Once again, Soccer lags behind the rest of the world's sports.

Jono, not a bean for Brookvale.  Why prop up other teams?  Canberra and Newcastle have adequate grounds already.  There's already a new ground in Perth that the Reds can play out of.  All the other places were for soccer or to upgrade AFL grounds at the taxpayers expense..And really, do the Tigers need yet another ground? 

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8