• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
The Bledisloe Cup exhibition in Hong Kong was incredibly dull - but what I couldn;t get over was the amount of Aussie whining about the ref.

Yes he did penalise them but it was at the scrum and it was clear the aussies were getting their heads pushed out their backsides by the Blecks and were infringing to make the scrum a contest.  Every Bleck penalty was deserved I thought (as an impartial observer).

Interesting to see what Fleets Street has to say:

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/pack-of-cheats/2008/11/10/1226165429498.html

For once I agree with them.  I wonder if I should set the video to watch the carnage?

Didn't watch the game. Is actually interesting that the majority of the country seemed disinterested in the whole Hong Kong exercise. There is far too much Rugby being played these days and the apathy over here grows week by week

Yeah the issues at the scrum were clear, haha.  Half the time scrum penalties are just a toss of the coin, or the team with the better reputation gets the rub of the green.

But yeah it was a pretty dull game.  Need to get the elv's in all games, they definately speed up the game and it is not as stop start. 

didnt watch it and would take a lot for me to watch it

There once was a time when the Bledisloe was a marque game.  On that night I found myself flicking over to watch whatever minnows were playing in the RLWC.

Kiwi - the aussie commentators keep describing the Bledisloe as "the greatest rivalry in World Rugby".  What do you reckon? 

I'd say some of the Northern hemisphere rivalries far exceed it and the NZers would surely consider the century long World # 1 vs 2 rivalry with South Africa a greater rivalry than the one with the Aussies?  Truth is the Bledisloe is horribly one sided with a 3-1 win/loss ratio. 

Actually these days I am sort of pleased when the Wallabies get beaten - boring team full of boring overrated players.  They give away test jumpers rather than players having to earn them and then keep them.  To me international rugby is more of a 'club' competition than true test match footy - hence the lack of true interest & rivalry

One side of my family are Kiwis and they prefer the NZ v Aussie rivalry, the same with my Kiwi friends.  They believe the SA rivalry does not even come close.  I assume it is like the local derby and that is why it has more appeal.  Much like Manly v Norths, NZ are Manly in this instance. 

Matabele link said:
There once was a time when the Bledisloe was a marque game.  On that night I found myself flicking over to watch whatever minnows were playing in the RLWC.

Kiwi - the aussie commentators keep describing the Bledisloe as \"the greatest rivalry in World Rugby\".  What do you reckon? 

I'd say some of the Northern hemisphere rivalries far exceed it and the NZers would surely consider the century long World # 1 vs 2 rivalry with South Africa a greater rivalry than the one with the Aussies?  Truth is the Bledisloe is horribly one sided with a 3-1 win/loss ratio. 

Tbh mata, I am not far enough up on World Rugby history to be able to say wheather it is or isn't the Greatest Rivalry. Traditionally, the Boks would have been our biggest rivals, but over the last 10-15 years, since i have been watching, I think the Wallabies have probably overtaken that, especially now with the whole Deans v Henry angle. Bringing back the old Springbok tours would probably reignite that rivalry to be more intense though, 1 of the great shames of pro rugby is the lack of tours on the calendar

It'd be interesting to take a survey of kiwis born before 1965.  Possibly the apartheid years took a bit of lustre off that match up.

I well remember the 1981 tour to NZ.  It was massive for both countries.  NZ clinched the decider amidst flour bombs raining down from a Cessna. 

Matabele link said:
It'd be interesting to take a survey of kiwis born before 1965.  Possibly the apartheid years took a bit of lustre off that match up.

I well remember the 1981 tour to NZ.  It was massive for both countries.  NZ clinched the decider amidst flour bombs raining down from a Cessna. 

You old fart. Do you want a throw rug to put over your knees and a nice Brandy?

Dan link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178887.msg202801#msg202801 date=1226392378]

You old fart. Do you want a throw rug to put over your knees and a nice Brandy?
[/quote]  Gin thank you. 

Matabele link said:

Spot on Mata, I grew up with South Africa out of the equation in all sports, so a lot of the history of the match up didn't really mean much to me at this point

81 Tour is still talked about a lot over here. Infact on 1 of the leaders debates leading up to the election, 1 of the panel asked Key his view on the tour back in 81

Yeah the Kiwis were only ten years behind the Aussies with their Springbok apartheid protests.  ;)  The first black Springbok was selected the year after that tour - Eroll Tobias.   

Jeez this thread brings back some memories. I'd just about forgotten what Rugby was.

To be honest though, its a great dumping ground for league. They get all the egotistical wankers who think they are bigger than the game and deserve more for it and league reaps the benefits.

Who honestly misses Tahu, Bill Williams, Cross, Gasnier and the likes?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6