Russell Packer the latest footballer in trouble

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tookey

First Grader
They say bad news comes in threes and it's proving the case for the NRL with Newcastle recruit Russell Packer the latest player to be interviewed by police over an alleged assault.

On the same day Canterbury back-rower Reni Maitua was charged with assaulting a taxi driver and just 24 hours after Manly prop Richie Fa'aoso was picked up by police over alleged domestic dispute, Packer also could be in strife.

The former Warriors front-rower, who has joined the Knights in the off-season, has allegedly been involved in an assault in Sydney last Friday night.

While he has yet to be formally charged by police the Knights released a statement on Tuesday confirming their forward was being investigated over the incident.

"The club will co-operate with the police and the NRL," the statement said.

"Until all investigations are complete, the club will make no further comment."

The NRL's Integrity Unit are investigating all three of the incidents, which has left a black mark on the code just days before its showpiece World Cup final between Australia and New Zealand.

"We must all accept the need to establish the relevant facts and the Integrity Unit will carry out that task with the cooperation of the clubs," NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle said.

"If however breaches are established then we will act accordingly.

"The Integrity Unit has provided a clear mechanism for assessing behavioural issues and we have already shown this year that we will act on the outcomes.

"The overwhelming majority of our players are fantastic ambassadors both for the game and the community.

"It is all the more important, therefore, that we send clear messages in relation to off-field misbehaviour."

Apparently, Tyrone Phillips - whoever he is, is the latest in the Police line up :s
Dylan Walker is also charged with brawling :s

Clearly, Happily Manlys (HP) post is out of step with the rest of the posts in this thread & the contents he leaked could do with a slash. Maybe HP isnt a wizz at these things.

HappilyManly said:
Apparently, Tyrone Phillips - whoever he is, is the latest in the Police line up :s

He is the player that the dogs signed from souths for next year.

Des's recruitment this year has gone to **** with both he and Maitua in trouble.

The NRL have issued a statement that they will not register Packer's 4 year contract, due to behavioural breaches. :cool:

Maybe they have finally grown a pair and will clean up these petulant and anti social players.

Good on you, Jim Doyle !

HappilyManly said:
The NRL have issued a statement that they will not register Packer's 4 year contract, due to behavioural breaches. :cool:

Maybe they have finally grown a pair and will clean up these petulant and anti social players.

Good on you, Jim Doyle !

it all depends on who the player is & which team they play for.

http://www.news.com.au/news/slater-to-face-new/story-fni0cx4q-1226777876161

NRL to probe CCTV footage of that Manchester nightclub punch

EXCLUSIVE
The Sunday Telegraph
December 07, 2013 10:00PM

BILLY Slater's infamous Manchester nightclub punch is set to be investigated by the NRL Integrity Unit - with claims a woman was knocked to the ground by another Australian player only minutes earlier.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal a group of Kangaroos - including Slater - have been linked to an alleged altercation just minutes before the Test fullback struck a man outside The Mojo nightclub.

The complainant is a 40-year-old Manchester businessman who alleges he was the one caught on CCTV footage, since replayed by Channel Seven, "cuffing" Slater before getting punched himself.

In a lengthy email, the Englishman alleges the now infamous confrontation occurred only after his girlfriend, Natalie, was knocked over by an Australian player while they tried to hail a cab.

Speaking with The Sunday Telegraph yesterday, Integrity Unit boss Jim Doyle said his task force had "acted in good faith on police reports at the time" but would now investigate the fresh claims.

"No complaint in relation to these matters had ever been raised with team management or the police,'' Mr Doyle said.

"We are, of course, happy to have the integrity unit review any further information."

Australian team management previously insisted Slater was simply returning to Mojos for a jacket when "king hit" by a local who mistook him for a queue jumper.

CCTV footage of the incident later showed the man pushed Slater with an open hand.

Slater's manager, George Mimis, yesterday said he had heard nothing of the claims.

The Sunday Telegraph this week tracked down the Manchester couple, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, plus a third female eyewitness. The trio strenuously denied suggestions their complaint was payback for Slater's heavy-handed response to being assaulted. They also provided log numbers for two calls made to Manchester police at 1.41am and 1.44am, claiming both were during the initial incident.

A police spokesman said, however, a timeline between those calls and the Slater incident was impossible to determine. Initial complaints to the police by both women have also since been withdrawn.

I bumped into a woman with my shoulder at Westfields yesterday. Lucky I'm not a NRL player otherwise the woman or her partner could have sent an email alledging whatever they wanted to the NRL Complaints & Whinging About NRL Players Line (oops "Integrity Unit") and caused me to get fined or lose my job.

In the case of Slater the Manchester Police investigated what happened. Why the NRL want to go into a lady being allegedly bumped and to fuel the media's love of anti RL stories for another week I have no idea.

That' right. If it wasn't your own wife/mother that was knocked over (allegedly), who cares?

Apparently there were Bulldogs players at the Lingerie Football last night. Not there in any official capacity, just because they chose or were invited to go. Anyway maybe they were just there to support a friend or relative in one of the teams?

There's already twitterers calling for the Dogs club to take action against the players. https://twitter.com/DebMalcolm/status/409497461384704000

Perhaps they should send an email to the NRL Integrity Unit. Something needs to be done about young men having an interest in athletic young women. This is an outrage.

I hope no NRL player ever glances at a cheerleader as they enter the field at kickoff or halftime and the cameras catch them. They will be off to the NRL Integrity Unit before fulltime is called.

Brissie Kid said:
Apparently there were Bulldogs players at the Lingerie Football last night. Not there in any official capacity, just because they chose or were invited to go. Anyway maybe they were just there to support a friend or relative in one of the teams?

There's already twitterers calling for the Dogs club to take action against the players. https://twitter.com/DebMalcolm/status/409497461384704000

Perhaps they should send an email to the NRL Integrity Unit. Something needs to be done about young men having an interest in athletic young women. This is an outrage.

I hope no NRL player ever glances at a cheerleader as they enter the field at kickoff or halftime and the cameras catch them. They will be off to the NRL Integrity Unit before fulltime is called.

It's called "Legends football league" in North America now and the uniforms have gone away from 'garters and suspenders' etc. The uniforms are more like beach volleyball uniforms with shoulder pads.

I wonder if the tweeter (above) asked any of the women playing if they felt degraded or felt the attitudes were sexist? My guess is no.

You're right. Women in many sports wear about the same amount of coverage. Beach volleyball, swimming, track and field. I don't think anyone is calling for them to have more clothing or calling men that watch it sexist.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6