Ryan's BOLD predictions of 2008:-

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man

Ryan’s Preview of 2008:-

Most Improved Player of 2008:- Whilst Glenn Stewart improved in my opinion exponentially in 2007, I consider that he will continue that growth as a player in 2008. I also expect that Glenn will be in a City/Country jersey this year. I would actually like him to play lock, to utilise his great offloads and passing ability both sides of the ruck. I also think both Ballin & Bani will be right up there in 08.

Manly’s Finishing Position in 2008:- I know this is a bold prediction, but basically backed up by the depth in the forwards, combined with the utility values of Le’Strange & Vaeliki, as well as the continued improvement of players like Ballin & Bani – both minor premiers & premiers !!

Manly’s surprise packet of 2008:- Another bold prediction here, but I think (yep, I’m gonna say it !) Clint Halden wil be the surprise packet in 08. The reason I say this is as follows. I considered the way Halden / Burns played as very, VERY similar. Same jinking style etc, but Halden had the diversity and size to slot into the centres as well. What I’m saying here, is that Halden is a bigger, faster version of Burns (also very young). I also assume he’s been told to bulk up in the off season.

Manly’s Representative players 2008:- Steve Matai (NZ), Glenn Stewart (City/Country), Jamie Lyon (State of Origin), Brent Kite (Australia), Brett Stewart (Australia), Josh Perry (City/Country), Anthony Watmough (State of Origin). I hate to say it, but I think QLD will go with:- Hunt, Tate, Falou, Hodges, Inglis, Lockyer, Thurston – so Bell may miss out this year.

Ryan’s 2008 YART (and at full strength), next to what I believe Des will go with:-

Ryan-------------------------------------------Des
1.Brett Stewart----------------------------- Brett Stewart
2.Michael Robertson-----------------------Michael Robertson
3.Steve Matai--------------------------------Steve Matai
4.Steven Bell--------------------------------Steven Bell
5.Michael Bani-----------------------------Michael Bani
6.Jamie Lyon-------------------------------Jamie Lyon
7.Matt Orford-------------------------------Matt Orford
8.Jason King--------------------------------Jason King
9.Matt Ballin-------------------------------Matt Ballin
10.Brent Kite-------------------------------Brent Kite
11.Anthony Watmough-------------------Anthony Watmough
12.Steve Menzies--------------------------Glenn Stewart
13.Glenn Stewart---------------------------Luke Williamson

14. David Vaeliki--------------------------Mark Bryant
15. Adam Cuthbertson--------------------Adam Cuthbertson
16. Josh Perry------------------------------Josh Perry
17. Glenn Hall-----------------------------Steve Menzies

Mark Bryant, George Rose, Heath Le’Strange, Luke Williamson, Jason Wells, Clint Halden, Vic Mauro, Nick Bradley Qalilawa, Shane Neumann, David Williams & co. to start off in Premier League. I expect Premier League to also do very well this year.

What can we expect off the field:- I expect to see the government come to the table with an offer of cash, but not as much as what we would like. I expect G Mayer to be awesome in his business dealings here (no surprise there), and will attain the required funding elsewhere. I think Manly’s 08 success will mean that we get an average of 17,000 this year, with the back end of the year being packed to the rafters. I predict the club will continue to locate & gain support from larger corporates. Off the park, and Sydney based, we are by far in my opinion, the luckiest club there is, and that all stems IMO from a CEO that can make hard, critical decisions based upon what is best for the club, even if in the short term it doesn’t sit well with a few fans. I also expect hardly ANY off field incidents. Espescially with the religious vibe around the club at present.

What is the major change from 2007 / 2008:- I think the club have invested in size, and channelled aggression. I don’t think we’d let the likes of Michael Crocker intimidate us anymore. We get this “fight in the trenches with each other” attitude, and we will dominate this competition. We don’t want to be the nice guys of the comp. That was The Bears job. Perry, a fit and unsuspended Matai, Hargreaves & co. will go a long way to improving this are.

Anyways, long read I know…but I needed a footy fix.

From the title I thought this was a post about that photo! :)

*snigger*

Big call on Clint Halden and especially us winning the title - I would be more confident on the latter if Jamie Lyon was not out 5/8 and we had a proper one in his place - that is the only weak point in our side in my opinion.

Definitely hear you there mate...but remember how poop Inglis was for 12 months @ 5/8 before he found his feet. Also, Lyon was probably 35% centre, 65% 5/8 this year...so I reckon given time...he'll come good.

I am confident we will make the GF. I have put on money to say we will win it, but I do that every year anyway - but I have a lot more confidence this year.

The greatest number of games missed for Manly due to suspension will belong to a Kiwi international, and that may cost him his place in their squad.

Our ground is almost embarrassing. There will be a lot of huff and puff, deals will be promised, but no work will start until at least 2013 and it will be the bottom end of the wish list. We either need to look at something like Chelsea does with fans owning the ground through shares, or have it purchased outright in private hands. I just can't see any government coughing up for the northern beaches.

The current board of the MW Football Club will continue to talk about democracy and doing the right thing by the members, but fail to let any of the members talk about it.

The one positive area from the club that will continue will be recruitment, getting the team to play well together, be supported by exceptional coaching staff and be provided with best practise training and post game recovery regimes. That will probably continue to be the only main positive unless something dramatically changes with direction from top admin.

In professional sport there are many sides to a successful club. Few clubs get all the boxes ticked and we are no exception. We get the team and results side right and incredibly some clubs forget just how crucial that is. I don't want to be too critical as there have been big jumps in a number of areas such as information sent to fans who subscribe, the quality of MSE in 2007 (on a low base I admit) and the fact that this year the membership packages were announced 4 months earlier than previous years. I have posted many times over the past 3 years about how I feel regularly let down by my dealings with the club (usually as part of the delivery of membership packages etc). Where I believe we need improvements lie in the lifting of every point of contact to a professional approach - such as how game days are managed for the fans. I'll put something together in late January as it will be a long post.

Inglis was NEVER as bad at 6 as Lyon is. He was not as good as he is now, but some of the things Lyon does are diabolical, I am not saying he wont improve this year, but Inglis was far better when he started at pivot

What I want to know is which of our players will have the ir balls broadcast on National TV this year?

What I want to know is why that interests you at all :)

hehe good call.

although those that talk about it the most dont usually have much to talk about.

Our ground is almost embarrassing. There will be a lot of huff and puff, deals will be promised, but no work will start until at least 2013 and it will be the bottom end of the wish list. We either need to look at something like Chelsea does with fans owning the ground through shares, or have it purchased outright in private hands. I just can't see any government coughing up for the northern beaches.
Back to something not involving the YouTube gen flashing stuff that should be in underwear.

It was reported this morning that the Rudd govt is reviewing all public expenditure with the intention to make savage cuts, starting with all promises for sporting facilities. We didn't get one so I cannot see anything coming for Brookie in 2008.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6