Sad state of RL in Qld

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
WELFARE officers from the Queensland and national rugby leagues are yet to visit Gold Coast clubs and players rocked by a spate of suicides.

After losing four players last year, desperate grassroots clubs are waiting for the assistance promised by the sport’s governing bodies, as more and more players battle depression, anxiety and the pressure to “make it in the game” bites.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...s/news-story/8e32f40aa05449b72c20fa74d0fd3151

WELFARE officers from the Queensland and national rugby leagues are yet to visit Gold Coast clubs and players rocked by a spate of suicides.

After losing four players last year, desperate grassroots clubs are waiting for the assistance promised by the sport’s governing bodies, as more and more players battle depression, anxiety and the pressure to “make it in the game” bites.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...s/news-story/8e32f40aa05449b72c20fa74d0fd3151
Just read the link very sad.

Pressure for these young players to be the paragons of virtue that the judgemental media, league hierarchy, politicians and every other industries are not proves too great.
Add the expectations of home towns, clubs and families not too mention themselves is suffocating.
A lot of country boys go to city clubs and can't return home because they think they have failed.
In Manlys case to put young fellas under the mentorship of blokes like Killer Beaver and Cliffy would be the way to go.
Old heads with miles on the clock.
God it's sad what's expected of these boys.

nrl - we will provide support for all that need it!

qrl - we need it....we've have young people tragically take their own lives and no one from the nrl has even visited!!

nrl - we will provide support for all that need it....and by the way qrl stop trying to link league with suicides.

*sigh*

Now the NRL has admitted the above statement is incorrect.

"Yesterday, the organisation was forced to retract the statement, admitting it had only “offered” support, after club presidents from Tugun Seahawks, Burleigh Bears and Runaway Bay said they did not undergo counselling or training.

“In relation to Tugun, Burleigh and Runaway Bay, the NRL and QRL offered support and counselling services at the time of tragedies and we have reached out on several occasions since to provide support and assistance,” an NRL spokesman said.

Tugun Seahawks president Rod Hill, who lost three players to suicide in three years, said he had never been involved in any training or met with an officer."

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...s/news-story/f2a4d487cf25ff47b89ae321e40dd488

Rising youth suicide rates are far from limited to Rugby League. They are happening throughout society. It is a cultural phenomenon.

There has been an ever increasing Americanisation of our society. i.e. Individualism, an obsession with looking out for number one, and with superficial appearances. An example of the superficiality is that our sports funding is increasingly performance-based rather than engagement-based. So we've become concerned with appearing sporty rather than living sporty. The youth with some sporting talent and high desires who can't match some artificial standard of sporting success gets mocked and criticised. You see it every day on forums like these.

When our priorities shift to actively wishing well for others, and to accepting them as they are, we may start making some progress in reducing suicide rates.

Now the NRL has admitted the above statement is incorrect.

"Yesterday, the organisation was forced to retract the statement, admitting it had only “offered” support, after club presidents from Tugun Seahawks, Burleigh Bears and Runaway Bay said they did not undergo counselling or training.

“In relation to Tugun, Burleigh and Runaway Bay, the NRL and QRL offered support and counselling services at the time of tragedies and we have reached out on several occasions since to provide support and assistance,” an NRL spokesman said.

Tugun Seahawks president Rod Hill, who lost three players to suicide in three years, said he had never been involved in any training or met with an officer."

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...s/news-story/f2a4d487cf25ff47b89ae321e40dd488

I see they haven't updated this admission on the nrl website!

(unless I missed it)

typical

I wonder how much some of the nonsense peddled by success " Gurus " plays in this tragic situation. The idea which I have heard repeated over and over again that if you "put your mind to it" you can achieve anything. I don't think this helps the overwelming majority of people who put there mind to a career in NRL but never make it. Surely being admired for giving something a red hot go and moving on till you find your niche is to be applauded and not regarded as a failure

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4