Salary cap problems

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

KaZa

Bencher
With the youngsters absolutely killing it.. i am concerned about us being able to keep them.

Hoppa and Buhrer are off contract and possibly Oldfield?... The way Hoppa and Buhrer are playing week in and week out.. there will be other clubs throwing big money at them..

Do we have much space? If we let Kite go.. to sign Buhrer? but no room for a prop? Im guessing Guluvao will be retiring.. Shane Rodney may leave?

I really think David Williams time is up with Oldfield ready to take his place. Hes too injury prone unfortunately.

Thoughts?

I would defiantly like to see the club keep Oldfield over Wolfman. Wolfman is good when he is on the field but he is injury prone and we need to keep our young guys coming though. I hope the club is smart enough to think towards the future and sign Hoppa up on a longterm deal.

That said there are some experienced players we cant let go like Snake, Matai, Gift, Killer and Choc.

Trex might be lost to make way for the kids

Joe is getting old but '**** he is playing well atm

big shake up, boys, remember, we won't have any origin reps. Only national reps in matai and keiran. To keep Hoppa, Buhrer and maybe sign 1 prop we need to:
1. Oldfield and Hoppa for Robbo and Wolfie.
2. Cross, Joe (retire, tragedy) Rodney, T-Rex, Seu Seu to go.

We are seeing the next 3-5 years as Choc, Glenn, Buhrer, Hoppa, Oldfield, Matai, Foran, DCE, Riccardi, Cunningham, Lussick, with old heads like Jamie, King, Kite, Brett and Rose.

brett, oldfield, jamie,matai, hoppa, foran or jamie, dce, riccardi or keiran, glenn, choc, lussick, kite, king, rose, ??? ballin and higgins.

Can't keep everyone, but there again, the brand is an attractive one and the cap will rise. My guess is we will keep all that have a desire to play with the club and the others who want to go, then they can go. Look at Hodkinson. Down hill for him. The speculation re Hoppa. He's only 18 and Brett's knees won't last forever. His old man once said that his big regret in football was leaving Manly. Says it all really.

i dont think either Oldfield or Rodney are off contract. I am sure the club were hoping that they could actually free up $$ this season because the players coming off contract next year in 2012 is much worse.

further to that the wet weather is killing the club's fianances. with terrible crowds due to weather, no major sponsor, the club probably doesnt the $$ to spend it's cap.

I think both Williams' have to go for the club to have any chance of resigning Hopoate & Buhrer.

We have to free up as much space as we can at the end of this season. As much as I hate to say it, Robbo and Wolf maybe need to look at options elsewhere, Kite has to consider the $$$ he could command in England, Rodney and Galuvao should probably retire. That way the club should be able to retain both Hoppa and Buhrer, and maybe have some $$$ for another cheap prop.

KaZa said:
With the youngsters absolutely killing it.. i am concerned about us being able to keep them.

Hoppa and Buhrer are off contract and possibly Oldfield?... The way Hoppa and Buhrer are playing week in and week out.. there will be other clubs throwing big money at them..

Do we have much space? If we let Kite go.. to sign Buhrer? but no room for a prop? Im guessing Guluvao will be retiring.. Shane Rodney may leave?

I really think David Williams time is up with Oldfield ready to take his place. Hes too injury prone unfortunately.

Thoughts?

EagleRock40 said:
We have to free up as much space as we can at the end of this season. As much as I hate to say it, Robbo and Wolf maybe need to look at options elsewhere, Kite has to consider the $$$ he could command in England, Rodney and Galuvao should probably retire. That way the club should be able to retain both Hoppa and Buhrer, and maybe have some $$$ for another cheap prop.

Rodney isnt going to retire and he has another year on his contract & Galuvao isnt on much to free up anything. Sacking him only means the 26th highest paid player becomes the 25th to be included in the cap and the gap is probably is around $30k

Guys, if The Dragons can continue to fill up their stocks with guys like Hopoate, we can certainly afford to keep our players. Titans have just landed Idris, and are now after Champion, and another big name forward I forgot to mention.

Ryan said:
Guys, if The Dragons can continue to fill up their stocks with guys like Hopoate, we can certainly afford to keep our players. Titans have just landed Idris, and are now after Champion, and another big name forward I forgot to mention.

Maybe in terms of the cap, but what about financially?

Performance based contracts are the way to go. Can't keep paying players to sit on Th sideline year after year. I'd rather have 24 weeks of hoppa than 6 weeks of snake. I know this will stir a lot of you up but how long can you continue to pay that much of your cap for someone to watch his mates play.

Jerry1 said:
Performance based contracts are the way to go. Can't keep paying players to sit on Th sideline year after year. I'd rather have 24 weeks of hoppa than 6 weeks of snake. I know this will stir a lot of you up but how long can you continue to pay that much of your cap for someone to watch his mates play.

Doesn't stir me up. It's perfect. How much cap space does Brett Stewart, David Williams & Shane Rodney soak up? Surely that's funds that could be used more appropriately.

Lets gets some value out of our cap !!

According to some, we don't have funds to spend to the full limit anyway, so what we CAN spend, we have to be very clinical and smart about.

Look, it's not like we can't win without these guys. Brett has played around 5 games in three years. Rodney has probably added the most value since 2009, but again, goooorn.

THIS, is what will cripple us going forward, and we are already starting to lose juniors to pay these guys sitting in the stands. I hope the club make them buy season tickets (just kidding)

I would not be prepared to lose Snake for Hoppa, there are many other players we could let go before him, that said if we let Hoppa go i will be truly shattered and angry with our club. If the bloody Dogs can sign superstars left right and center we should be able to keep Hoppa, Buhrer and Oldfield.

If we lose Hopoate or Buhrer that'll do me!! It would be absolutely unforgiveable. With the players we have off contract this year, there is no excuse not to be able to lock up these two long term.

Jerry1 said:

i agree but :

high profile players thru their agents wont agree to them and another club will offer the player a non incentive based contract and then they will leave.

Then also clubs have to budget for scenario that the bonus will be earned so it doesnt free up any cap.

Jerry1 said:

Who was the last decent player to sign a incentive based contract ? It just doesn't happen so it's pointless even talking about it.

Well, million bucks or close to it for a couple of games ain't good enough. I'd be happy for any other club in the comp to be paying this. Now I may have forgotten how good some of our sideline players are but that is the problem. nothing would please me more than these guys reminding me but so far this season it hasn't happened.

Jerry1 said:

I think a lot fans are slowly getting frustrated with some players who just aren't getting on the field consistently. If these players cost us a guy like Hoppa jnr, then I will be very disappointed to say the least.

I think the key to Buhrer and Hopoate re signing will be Des Hasler. Especially with Buhrer.. Des has so much faith in them and he nurtures them. Most coaches wouldnt believe in Buhrer like Dessie did.. they respect him and believe they can move on with their careers with Des. We also have John Hopoate in our favour too.. so fingers crossed we can match the offers they are receiving. Brett Stewarts contract may need to be downgraded as he hasnt played in 2 and a half years consistently. Wolfman may need to be let go.

Oldfield is a player id really like us to keep to. Hes just so good and hes quick and only 20.

Such a shame.

I think we may be ok for salary cap space as we've upgraded the contracts of the big guns and didn't sign any big names. I wonder if the club front loaded some of these players contracts so we do have space to retain the young guns. Whether we have the cash spend all of the cap may be more of an issue.

I think the club has played it smart and if we do have the cash to spend the full cap we may need to release D.williams, T-rex, Rodney, Joe G.

Priority is Hoppa, Buhrer and Oldfield, surely with the cap increase we should be able to retain these three.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8