Salary Cap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
+ NRL Salary Cap has increased $200k from 6.8M in 2016, to 7M in 2017.
+ Players in the top 25 have a MIN Salary of $80k, so I have done estimates below:

We have lost:
+ Jamie Lyon : $500k
+ Josh Starling : $125k
+ Tom Symonds: $175k
+ Feleti Mateo: $200k
+ Tim Moltzen: $80k
+ Luke Burgess: $90k
+ Liam Knight: $80k
+ Siosaia Vave: $100k
+ Fabian Goodall: $80k
+ Nathan Green: $80k
+ Blake Leary: $80k
+ Isaac John: $80k
+ Jayden Hodges: 90k
TOTAL: 1.760 M (and I think I've been VERY conservative)

Then a heap of 2nd tier guys probably not included in main cap. There are probably another $200k odd not included that should be.

We have signed (apparently):
+ Cameron Cullen: $80k
+ Shaun Lane: $100k
+ Blake Green: $350k
+ Mathew Wright: $120k
+ Frank Winterstein: $100k
+ Akuila Uate: $250k
+ Willis Meehan: $80k
TOTAL 1.080 M (and I think I've been quite garrish)

Players we have re-signed:
+ Brayden Wiliame: NIL increase
+ Addin Fanua-Blake: 100k increase

Players that NEED to be re-signed:
+ Jorge Taufua: 50k increase

That leaves $530k (and I appreciate it's probably much, much more than that given the salaries I said the players we are letting go are on.) Add the $200k cap increase, and that's $730k available WORST CASE. Probably more like $1.030 M available cash, so yes, we had room for Gillett.

Also, NO, we do NOT need to release Buhrer as that BS article states.

And then their is the third party deals that throw all your sums out the windows.
Agreethogh that you were being conservative with the estimates.

+ Players in the top 25 have a MIN Salary of $80k, so I have done estimates below:

We have lost:

Then a heap of 2nd tier guys probably not included in main cap. There are probably another $200k odd not included that should be.

That leaves $530k (and I appreciate it's probably much, much more than that given the salaries I said the players we are letting go are on.) Add the $200k cap increase, and that's $730k available WORST CASE. Probably more like $1.030 M available cash, so yes, we had room for Gillett.

I think Killer would be on more than 500k, probably closer to 700k but everything else is accurate. And with Snake and Matai to leave at the end of next year we'll have a lot of money to spend, but half of it will go to the Turbos. Snake would be on a fair bit up around 600k and Matai not far behind that, and Myles and Brown pending retirements we are in the best position out of all the teams money wise ahead of all other teams barring Broncos and Roosters who have as much as they want.

We have lost:

Great post, this money available (that could differ either way) gives us a huge chance of snaring the likes of Matulino and Manu Mau or Matulino and Kane Evans... We never change do we, we really are the silvertails!

We must resign Buhrer as soon as he goes off contract for as long as possible, he is the heart of the team.

A couple of things. The minimum salary is 85k next year up from 82.5k this year. Some of the players mentioned as released were not in our top 25 so would not increase the bottom line of our cap. Also the majority of players in the mid to high range would have incremental increases in their contracts to take into account increases in the cap. Most I would imagine would have between 20-50k bumps a year. So Turbos could be on 300 then 350. 10 players on a 50k bump eats all of your 530k extra. I don't think our cap is that healthy.

A couple of things. The minimum salary is 85k next year up from 82.5k this year. Some of the players mentioned as released were not in our top 25 so would not increase the bottom line of our cap. Also the majority of players in the mid to high range would have incremental increases in their contracts to take into account increases in the cap. Most I would imagine would have between 20-50k bumps a year. So Turbos could be on 300 then 350. 10 players on a 50k bump eats all of your 530k extra. I don't think our cap is that healthy.

Yeah, I just went of wiki for the minimum salary https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjwjbrwpZjPAhXDNj4KHR86D1YQFggdMAE&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rugby_League_salary_cap&usg=AFQjCNFGm6mPto6uR3UNYkwasqdVkr6QsA but those number differentials are nominal when it comes to the overall subject matter here, and really would make little to no difference.

Also, if those players listed aren't in the top 25, the equivalent would be, so that point / matter is moot. It still is worked out the same, and there is still that figure of 25, so the point stands imo. In fact, I've used min. salary for those bottom players. If there are better players in the top 25 that ARE included, it increases that number, and it further supports my theory.

With all due respect, you are wrong when it comes to incremental increases in players salaries. I have seen a contract for a blue chip player accidentally faxed to me at home (which I have shown people proof of on this site), and there are dramatic reductions in their cap hit year on year. Therefore, while some have, others are completely different, so you'd call that a wash. The player I've seen actually went back 200k in his last year (he's no longer with us btw).

There is a reason we were going after Gillett. We could afford it. This is without Brett Stewart being involved.

The matter is far from moot in regards who is top 25 when you are discussing 13 players out and 6 in. If all 7 different were second teir then there is a 560k hole in the calculations at 80k.

In regards the contract you have seen it would be the exception rather than the rule. Believe it or not but the majority do receive incremental increases and/or have ratchet clauses inserted into contacts

"it's common practice for managers of the game's elite to include ratchet clauses to ensure their clients don't miss out should more money flow into the game"

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-in-nrl-player-contracts-20160407-go0xmo.html

This would at least eat up any cap increase.

We have lost:

Great work feathered friend . You should be our new salary cap officer !!! :)

Ryan and smithy. You are both correct which only makes it harder to know where the cap is. Id love to see cap spread sheets released to the public with player, a b and c inserted rather than names. It would be awesome for the the diehards to see clubs balance, there penalty for poor recruitment. It may even help some coaches stay employed if people see what they had to work with.

Sometimes when players are released mid season it alows the club to bring payment forward to another player and reduce later years

There was once a tactic known as parking where clubs would save cap space for next year. I beliieve it was outlawed by the nrl to ensure teams were more competitive. Teams were forced to spend 90% or similar . Is this still the case.?

I ask because of how the titans secured hayne, peats and hurrell and the talk about them being way under the cap. I also ask as at times this site is very knowledgable.

I think the issue with the Titans was that while they had salary cap space they didn't have any money. NRL tipped in to help Parra offload Peats and then Hayne found a tidy offer under the marquee player arrangements.

I doubt Hurrell will be on much but I could be wrong. I'm still upset we missed him.

Last edited:

We have lost:

This is interesting. One thing, does it account for back ended deals like Snake is on? Matai might be on one too? No idea if we put Kapow and Walker on back ended deals... ??

Ryan and smithy. You are both correct which only makes it harder to know where the cap is. Id love to see cap spread sheets released to the public with player, a b and c inserted rather than names. It would be awesome for the the diehards to see clubs balance, there penalty for poor recruitment. It may even help some coaches stay employed if people see what they had to work with.

Sometimes when players are released mid season it alows the club to bring payment forward to another player and reduce later years

There was once a tactic known as parking where clubs would save cap space for next year. I beliieve it was outlawed by the nrl to ensure teams were more competitive. Teams were forced to spend 90% or similar . Is this still the case.?

I ask because of how the titans secured hayne, peats and hurrell and the talk about them being way under the cap. I also ask as at times this site is very knowledgable.
Yep u have to spend about 93% of ur cap for the year before the season starts. In the Titans case they had that money free and spent it all on Peats, Hurrell and Hayne with Hayne also taking the marquee player allowance which wasn't used up yet. It makes sense if you think about it they had like 600-700k cap space left and signed two to 6 month deals and Hayne for only a couple games.

I find it hard to believe that we'd offer the reported $500,000 a season to Matalino if we were only paying T-Red $175,000.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6