Salary Crap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
I must have missed something. With the new media deal going up substantially, wasn't the cap supposed to be increased so that we could keep players like, Snake, Kite and others?

Nope you missed nothing.

See how this always works is that the nrl negotiate for months and months to get a deal.

Deal gets done and they shout from the rooftops about how much cash they now have.

But then, they hang on to it as much as they can not giving it as fast or as much to the clubs.

They all start uming and ahing and saying, well you see, we have to be careful, we need 20 committees to work these things out and by the way our new yacht is here and we need to take that Mediterranean holiday anyway it's our money so nyah nyah nyah.

Of course if the nrl players had a decent union........

globaleagle said:
Nope you missed nothing.

See how this always works is that the nrl negotiate for months and months to get a deal.

Deal gets done and they shout from the rooftops about how much cash they now have.

But then, they hang on to it as much as they can not giving it as fast or as much to the clubs.

They all start uming and ahing and saying, well you see, we have to be careful, we need 20 committees to work these things out and by the way our new yacht is here and we need to take that Mediterranean holiday anyway it's our money so nyah nyah nyah.

And if only the union wasn't funded by the NRL

Peter C said:
globaleagle said:
Nope you missed nothing.

And if only the union wasn't funded by the NRL
And had their own non nrl controlled offices

At $1000 pa per player, I would happily be their bargaining representative. Any good lawyers out there that would want to partner with me to represent players?

Melbourne, Doggies and Broncos have to get their share first then the balance is divied up to who's left

They fixed the salary cap at $5mil for next year at the beginning of this season. They did this because they weren't sure when the broadcast rights deal would be finalised and clubs needed certainty for 2013 when negotiating contracts. It wouldn't have been fair to leave it till this time of the year to let clubs know what they could spend next year. I have no problem with that decision, it's the same for all the clubs.

I expect 2014 onwards will see an increase in the cap.

Not sure, but thought they said that there would be an increase but that it would be based on a percentage lift in existing contracts so that players who signed contracts before the increase would not be disadvantaged.

If so, a cap increase wouldn't solve existing cap issues.

As important as it is to reward top players fairly, the priority imo is to plough resources into gassroots RL and country RL.
You only have to look at Australian cricket to see the pitfalls of concentrating on the elite level. All sports must work from a wide base, starting with juniors and then feeding into district and then grade.

All players come from the base; when you start neglecting the officials etc that foster this young talent it quickly dies up. It is the prime reason we have fallen from the top in cricket.

On the Footy Show last night, Beau Ryan said that the reason he left, was that for the past two years and the comming year, he was promised a Contract but was never presented with one to sign :huh:
Naturally he feels insecure in his employment and gutted by his CEO's dismissal of his concerns.

I was of the understanding that only NRL Registered Players could take the field.
So was the Tigers Salary Cap less by Ryan's payments for two years????

I feel for their Fans, as the incompetence of their Administration has now ripped a chunk out of their roster :angel:

HappilyManly said:
On the Footy Show last night, Beau Ryan said that the reason he left, was that for the past two years and the comming year, he was promised a Contract but was never presented with one to sign :huh:
Naturally he feels insecure in his employment and gutted by his CEO's dismissal of his concerns.

I was of the understanding that only NRL Registered Players could take the field.
So was the Tigers Salary Cap less by Ryan's payments for two years????

I feel for their Fans, as the incompetence of their Administration has now ripped a chunk out of their roster :angel:

I think he could be talking about an extension to his existing contract.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8