Sam Burgess says Steve Matai's hit

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
on his brother and South Sydney teammate George was fair

Paul Crawley
The Daily Telegraph
May 01, 2013 12:00AM

SAM Burgess has labelled the tackle that landed Steve Matai a one-match ban "a fair hit" and admits he started throwing punches because his brother George was lying flat on his back.

Burgess' frank admission will further infuriate Manly after they entered early guilty pleas for both Matai and Richie Fa'aoso yesterday - but not before coach Geoff Toovey unloaded on the judiciary process and match officials.

Manly will be without Matai for one game while Fa'aoso will miss eight games for his two spear tackles on Greg Inglis.

Brett Stewart also accepted the early plea for his elbow on Andrew Everingham but is free to play against the Dragons on Monday.

Burgess was reluctant to comment about the Matai tackle that sparked Friday night's brawl but did concede: "I actually thought it was a fair hit at the time. My intention wasn't to start a fight."

Asked why he reacted, Burgess questioned: "You got any brothers? It was the first time I have seen it (happen to George) so it was natural, I guess."

His admission only adds weight to Manly's theory that Matai is a marked man.

Daly Cherry-Evans called it "a cracker of a hit" and said he was surprised Matai was even facing a charge. "We see those sort of tackles week after week and no one else seems to cop any grunt from it," Cherry-Evans said.

"It's just because, unfortunately, Steve's built up a bit of a resume when it comes to the judiciary."

Manly's young winger Jorge Taufua could hardly contain his excitement when asked about the Matai tackle.

"Are you allowed to swear? That was f ... in' awesome, man," Taufua said. "I love playing outside that guy. When he pulls it off, I just lose it."

Which is pretty much what Toovey did as he attempted to explain why it was a waste of time to even bother fighting the charge at the judiciary.

"You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's the way the system is set up," an exasperated Toovey said.

"Unfortunately with Stevie's record people think the worst. Officials on the field thought it was OK. We've looked at it 1000 times. You can't positively say he did or didn't (make contact with the head).

"Unfortunately you've got to prove your innocence. How can you do that when the camera angles aren't there? They just speculate he did hit him.

"If you ask me and the fans they thought it was a great game, they thought it was a great tackle."

Toovey said he had not spoken to referees boss Daniel Anderson about several contentious calls that went against his team but he did speak to Anderson's offsider, former referee Russell Smith.

Asked how it went, Toovey said: "As I said, it's just a waste of time. Why bother?"

Meanwhile, Burgess backed calls for the return of the sin bin for repeated foul play after he initially raised the argument immediately after Matai was placed on report.

Burgess said: "No way am I saying that when someone gets on report it should be a sin binning because that's stupid.

But when there are four incidents in one game and two of them are identical then you have got to think how many times do we keep putting people on report for these incidents before we are going to sin bin someone?"

Newcastle prop Kade Snowden is free to play Cronulla on Sunday after pleading guilty to a grade two careless high tackle.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sam-burgess-says-steve-matais-hit-on-his-brother-and-south-sydney-teammate-george-was-fair/story-fndv36md-1226632600124

I would have been more impressed if he had fronted the judiciary and said it was a fair tackle.
I don't give a **** what he's got to say now.

also makes Manly look stupid for not contesting the charge. I would rather they contested the charge and lost than just perpetuate the 'Matai is a dirty player' myth

He said at the time...which could mean after he saw the replay he thought it was high....

While i'm furious the match review committee even charged Steve Matai, i am more furious we didn't even contest it.

We (Steve) would've won the case. The first hit was clearly acrosss the chest and that's all that we needed to show.

And for once i disagree with Toovs. I think the camera angles clearly show the first point of contact. With ex-footballers on the panel, they would've agreed it was a great, fair hit.

What we really need is Glen Burgess to come out and say he didnt hit me in the head. That would be classy if it is true

jbb/james said:
What we really need is Glen Burgess to come out and say he didnt hit me in the head. That would be classy if it is true

Or better still George Burgess say he didn't hit me in the head:D

I think it's pretty obvious that he didn't hit Glen Burgess in the head! George? well that's another matter..............

So NRL Sam Burgess has admitted throwing punches.

So why was he not sent off as third man in?

So why was/is he not placed on report?

So why was he not sin-binned?

So why is he not facing the judiciary?

As I have continually said. All we fans want is a consistency-based approach on each incident not based on the person or the club.

So NRL, again do the letters stand for No Real Leadership or the National Rugby League?

You decide.

RL Gronk said:
jbb/james said:

Or better still George Burgess say he didn't hit me in the head:D

or more appropriately georgette burgess

eagle-rock08 said:
So NRL Sam Burgess has admitted throwing punches.

So why was he not sent off as third man in?

So why was/is he not placed on report?

So why was he not sin-binned?

So why is he not facing the judiciary?

As I have continually said. All we fans want is a consistency-based approach on each incident not based on the person or the club.

So NRL, again do the letters stand for No Real Leadership or the National Rugby League?

You decide.

Burgess pushed Matai, then Foran followed him and threw a couple, if 1 went, both of them would have, right call to leave them both on the field, there was stuff all in it

No reason to front the judiciary over that either, and again, if Burgess was up infront of them, Foran would be there beside him

They have gotten everything spot on with the 'fight' thing imo. If anyone got suspended for that, when there was nothing in it, then they may as well change it to the National Netball League

Personally, I have no issue at all with Burgess coming in with a shove in the back after seeing his brother get smashed, and I have no issue at all with Foran heading after him after seeing Matai get pushed.
1 of the highlights of the game was Burgess taking a hitup the next set, he knew he was going to be smashed, and our boys obliged, but he didn't go soft and avoid the hitup like I have seen many other forwards do

Glen sorry George ha ha won't admit it because the cat stayed down on purpose to milk it anyway all the while looking up at the ref to see what he could get out of the situation ,no way he will admit it now after that world class piece of acting !

Shouldn't have been called a penalty in the first place. Should have just put the scrum down and got on with the game.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6