Sam Harris ready to step up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

Written by: Wayne Cousins - Wests Tigers media manager 2/12/2005

The task of being at his best each week is a challenge new Wests Tigers recruit Sam Harris is looking forward to.

The former Manly second-rower started pre-season training last week with the 2005 premiers. Harris is signed to the Wests Tigers until the end of the 2008 season.

Speaking on Talkin Sport (2SM 1269AM) on Thursday, December 1, Harris said he been made to feel very welcome at the Concord Oval headquarters.

"All the boys are still really down to earth and there is a really good feeling throughout the club,'' Harris said.

"The players know that they are not world beaters and they still have to work hard next year to be a top side. I'm sure (coach) Tim Sheens has got some big plans for the team.

"It was a little bit daunting to come to the club after the grand final victory. It is good though because I have never been in this situation before where I have played for such a successful team.

"It will feel a bit different next year running out onto the field knowing that you have to be at your best each week because the opposition will be at their best, wanting to beat you.''

Harris said negotiations with the Wests Tigers club began after the side had crushed Manly 49-24 at Leichhardt Oval in round 17.

"I played one of my better games that night and Tim Sheens gave my manager a call a week later to see if I would be interested in coming to the Wests Tigers because there was talk that Manly were looking to release me with a view to getting Matt Orford,'' Harris admitted.

"I wanted to stay at Manly but the more and more I thought about it, it just seemed like a better move.'' Harris said he enjoyed watching his future team-mates achieve their incredible run of success in the finals.

"Everyone kept putting the Wests Tigers down because they were too young and too inexperience,'' Harris said. "I could tell that they had something special. I'm not saying that I thought they were going to win the grand final but they obviously had a good nucleus of a team that if everything clicked, they were going to be very hard to beat. It showed in the grand final.

"It was good not to kind of jump on the bandwagon but ride the wave of it and watch them succeed.''

Harris said he was already impressed by the professionalism of the club and of the direction being taken by Sheens and assistant coach Royce Simmons.
"I've only been at the club for a week but Tim already demands plenty of respect,'' Harris said.

"You listen to every word he says because you know he is right on the ball. Royce is the same and they really have a good system working at the club. "It just looks like the Wests Tigers are going to be a powerhouse for years to come.''

Lets hope that releasing Harris doesn't come back to bite us next year.

01.Written by: Wayne Cousins - Wests Tigers media manager 2/12/2005

The task of being at his best each week is a challenge new Wests Tigers recruit Sam Harris is looking forward to.

It's funny how Sam Harris has received more positive media management by his new club in ONE week than he did at Manly over many years. Our Media Manager should feel ashamed of himself !!!

02. "It was a little bit daunting to come to the club after the grand final victory. It is good though because I have never been in this situation before where I have played for such a successful team.

Interesting to note that Harris hasn't played for a successful team before. What does that mean in regard to what he thinks about Manly?

03."It will feel a bit different next year running out onto the field knowing that you have to be at your best each week because the opposition will be at their best, wanting to beat you.''

Does this mean he didn't have to be at his best at Manly because mediocrity was tolerated?

04.Harris said he was already impressed by the professionalism of the club and of the direction being taken by Sheens and assistant coach Royce Simmons.
"I've only been at the club for a week but Tim already demands plenty of respect,'' Harris said.

"You listen to every word he says because you know he is right on the ball. Royce is the same and they really have a good system working at the club. "It just looks like the Wests Tigers are going to be a powerhouse for years to come.''

Interesting that he never said this about Des Hasler & Steve Roach. Quite the contrary from what I hear around the traps. I hear Harris was not impressed at all with how manly go about its business.

Guys - Surely this is a slap in the face to Manly's current media manager whoever the hell that is !!! It shows how real professionalism (even in the off season) can portay a positive light on players.

What's doing at Manly?

Your response is exactly as I expected. Reading too much into things IMO.

By saying he has never played for a successful side we all know he means a premiership winning side. Manly was not this, I dont see the issue.

His comment about having to be at his best each week is becuase everyone lifts when they play the reigning premiers. I dont think at Manly des told the boys to go out and only give 50%.

Is what you hear around the traps the same as how you heard that Orford was definately not coming to Manly?

Of course the West Tigers are going to get more coverage in the press, they are the premiers. Bet their coverage last year was almost non existant. We might not be getting the coverage we should but that is expected IMO. We did seem to get lots of coverage in recent offseasons saying how Hoppa was reformed. lol

"Of course the West Tigers are going to get more coverage in the press, they are the premiers. Bet their coverage last year was almost non existant. We might not be getting the coverage we should but that is expected IMO. We did seem to get lots of coverage in recent offseasons saying how Hoppa was reformed. lol"

Sorry Garts - but that is rubbish. Benji Marshall & co. were CONSISTENTLY in the media, and Wests Tigers players were advertising etc. All was portayed in a positive light for them.

If you think Manly's media manager is a blazing success...then all power to you.

"Is what you hear around the traps the same as how you heard that Orford was definately not coming to Manly?"

Sorry Garts - rubbish yet again. Your on fire. "I" never claimed to know whether Matt Orford was coming to Manly or not. What I "did" say, was that my next door neighbour claimed to have spoken to the guy, and said that he definitely wasn't coming to Manly.

Or does accusing me of it justify your acceptance of a below average media contingent at Manly, or does yourr false accusation try and sway people to your side of the debate.

"Of course the West Tigers are going to get more coverage in the press, they are the premiers. Bet their coverage last year was almost non existant. We might not be getting the coverage we should but that is expected IMO. We did seem to get lots of coverage in recent offseasons saying how Hoppa was reformed. lol"

Third peice of rubbish. You'll notice HEAPS of teams - Newcastle for example that got the wooden spoon, receive positive press, and had their players in the public eye throughout the year. Look at the Roosters for the best media management going around.

Mate - time to put the glasses in back in the case over Christmas.

LoL

Boys, Sam Harris was medicore at best while playing in the mighty maroon colours. He never had a consistent year, and was a huge disappointment. This after was the guy who was meant to have the speed of a back and the power of a forward. He had neither. I was really disappointed becuase I was really excited when he originally made the move.

Ryan, I not once did say our media manager was a blazing success, actually I think he is far from a success. Just stating I believe you were reading too much into the things Harris said.

I also dont recall to much positive press for Newcastle, all I recall is the Bathurst fiasco, and how they are almost bust and seeing pictures of them at their below average training facilities. But they will always get more press when you have the codes best ever player playing for them. I personally dont see that as positive press.

Ryan you were adamant Orford was not coming, I dont care if it was through a friend of yours or not. You were the one who posted it on this board. Not him!!! Anyway I probably should not have mentioned it.

I still maintain that the Tigers did not receive heaps of coverage last offseason, Benji Marshall got a bit as he has been touted as the next big thing for the last few years but I dont think it was a great deal more than Manly.

As for putting the glasses back in the case, I presume you mean the rose coloured ones. I am not one that wears them on a regular basis, I just dont see the point into looking into a article like this and whinging like you do . However I am sure if we win the first 3 games of next season you will be singing the teams and clubs praise and talking up our premiership chances. Maybe this is the reason I read some of your posts and get so frustrated, you can be all over the shop.

"As for putting the glasses back in the case, I presume you mean the rose coloured ones. I am not one that wears them on a regular basis, I just dont see the point into looking into a article like this and whinging like you do . However I am sure if we win the first 3 games of next season you will be singing the teams and clubs praise and talking up our premiership chances. Maybe this is the reason I read some of your posts and get so frustrated, you can be all over the shop."

Of coarse mate. I ride the highs and the lows of the season, and wear my heart on my sleeve. You shouldn't feel frustrated dude...the point of the site I thought was more about empathy toward a common cause as a community.

Crusher Cleal - I disagree mate. I think Sam Harris was a fantastic player. He can play 60+ minutes, and is diverse enough to play 5/8, prop, backrow & centre. My main beef is that we lost him, whilst other very poor performing props have been retained. He was pretty mobile, and the ability to offload.

Garts - I hope you didn't take my reply as having a go - it was moreso to debate what you had said.

I know I look as though I think too much into things - but Manly is my hobby.

For the record though guys - IF I ever receive information (for example at a sponsors event), I always divulge the source. I don't want to be The Oracle or anything (not that I ever knew the guy).

Ryan, no offence taken. Besides you had a right to have ago at me. I did have a little dig at you. But as you say we are all here for the same reason.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2