Scores to settle: Manly, Souths won't be lacking for motivation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
DateSeptember 21,

Andrew Webster

Sea Eagles cling on to earn shot at NRL grand final

Manly have earned a third crack at taking down South Sydney after a Daly Cherry-Evans masterclass and John Morris brain snap lifted the Sea Eagles to a 24-18 win over Cronulla in Friday night's clash.

THIS isn't a conspiracy, just a theory.

It mightn't be the grand final that all of North Queensland believes we want, but next Friday night's preliminary final between Manly and South Sydney threatens to be the grudge match of the season.

That's on the proviso, of course, the Sea Eagles can get out of bed at some point - in the next week.

The Sea Eagles? inability to die Teamwork: the Sea Eagles' refusal to die is fundamental to their success.
Teamwork: the Sea Eagles' refusal to die is fundamental to their success. Photo: Anthony Johnson

It might've come down to the last minute against Cronulla, they might've all fallen to their knees in exhaustion and because of crippling injury right on full-time, but their 24-18 semi-final win at Allianz Stadium is proof they are rugby league's version of the living dead.

The Sharks used everything but a shotgun to stop them, and they still kept coming.

Given the virulent history between Manly and Souths, and given how many points there will be to prove, the match already threatens to froth over.

Manly remembers the last time they met, in round 23 at Bluetongue in Gosford, when Souths prop Jeff Lima performed his infamous death-roll on Anthony Watmough's right leg and further mangled his injured knee.

Watmough hasn't forgotten about it. Neither have his teammates.

Amid all the howls of discontent on the northern peninsula over that incident, Souths will privately tell you about the Friday night bloodbath at Brookvale in round seven.

That's when Greg Inglis kept wearing head high and spear tackles all night, with Sea Eagles prop Richie Fa'aoso suspended for eight matches in the wash-up.

The treatment Inglis received was so brutal it prompted Fairfax Media columnist Paul Sheehan to describe it as "common assault".

The Rabbitohs will be the emotional and bookmaker's favourites next week, but the Sea Eagles are demonstrating a resilience that has been on display for three decades.

Through coaches Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton, Des Hasler and now Geoff Toovey, the Manly side has retained a distinct personality. They do whatever it takes to win. If you so happen to be playing on one leg is a minor detail.

After Sharks captain Paul Gallen's try late in the match was sent upstairs, he complained to the referees: "Everything goes their way".

Not necessarily. The Sea Eagles' inability to die is just as fundamental to their success.

It was there in Jamie Lyon.

Someone shot the captain as he tried to get around his opposite five minutes into the second half, but it wasn't a bullet as much as his knee.

As winger Jorge Taufua scored in the corner, Lyon was hobbling in the back play, with trainer Donny Singe seemingly trying to drag him off.

He came to the sideline near the respective benches, and was treated as Daly Cherry-Evans missed the sideline conversion.

Lyon - who is 31 and the best centre in the game - didn't take the easy option and limp up the tunnel. He trotted back to the other side of the field, taking his position for the kick-off.

Brent Kite wouldn't die either.

Panthers general manager Phil Gould has been keeping a close eye on the front-rower he's signed for next year. Gould has known what many others have not: that Kite has been carrying an injury to his right wrist all year. It will require surgery when he arrives at Penrith.

Footballers are resourceful at the best of times, so Kite has taught himself to play the ball with his left hand, hold the ball in his left hand, tackle with just his left hand.

Killing Manly will help Souths delete years of their own pain.

For more than 30 years, Manly patriarch Ken Arthurson calmly flipped open the chequebook and signed the likes of John O'Neill, Ian Roberts, Craig Field and the rest of the diamonds in the South Sydney side.

It mightn't be the minds of the Souths players as they attempt to book a place in the grand final, but it will be for their long-suffering fans. That's not a conspiracy, just a theory.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/scores-to-settle-manly-souths-wont-be-lacking-for-motivation-20130920-2u5u9.html#ixzz2fVSWKUsJ

Over our history, Souffs have done to us what we have done to the sharks, we have lost 3 grand finals to them and countless other big games.

The reason that Arko raided their team in the 70s was to bring that winning culture to Manly and Lurch and Brannigan certainly provided that.

The rivalry flared again in the mid 80s when Souffs got their team in order and there was some classic games.

Now the rivalry is red hot again and after what happened a month ago, our boys will be so motivated to wipe out the vermin.

So the sub editor took Phil Blake out of the online article I see. That bloke is head sports writer and had no idea Blakey was ours. Going on his photo andrew Webster would be in his 40s, so not knowing that is inexcusable as far as I'm concerned. Also as has been said elsewhere Roberts would have been signed by Doug Daley, and field (what a crock) by Stanton when he was stand in CEO in 95/96.

Shoe1 said:
So the sub editor took Phil Blake out of the online article I see. That bloke is head sports writer and had no idea Blakey was ours. Going on his photo andrew Webster would be in his 40s, so not knowing that is inexcusable as far as I'm concerned. Also as has been said elsewhere Roberts would have been signed by Doug Daley, and field (what a crock) by Stanton when he was stand in CEO in 95/96.

Saw that, too. Pity they can't "fix" the printed edition.
Seriously, who doesn't know Phil Blake was a Manly junior?

I don't know basic facts, can I get a job as HEAD sports writer? Smh bosses: sure! Start tomorrow.

Ohh here we go again.Who were the rest of the diamonds at Souffs , Charlie Frith, Ziggy Nziscote ?
Most Souffs supporters weren't even born when Manly was signing the avalanche of 2 players Brannigan and O'Neill. **** me where do these clowns get their journalistic licenses from, a bubble gum pack.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
Shoe1 said:

Saw that, too. Pity they can't "fix" the printed edition.
Seriously, who doesn't know Phil Blake was a Manly junior?

Obviously Andrew Webster didn't know. I guess they didn't have radio, TV, newspapers or RLW in Mt Druitt back in the 80s, or whichever ****parlour young Andy grew up in.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6