Scrum Rules

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevo

First Grader
Does anyone actually know what the scrum rules are when it comes to pushing?

The contested scrum is apparently dead but you can contest the scrum as seen in the Warriors v Eels game.

So on reading section 12 of the NRL rule book pushing is permissible but only after the ball has entered the scrum, which begs the question, why don't more teams do it?

Is an unwritten rule that scrums are now just a cuddle and a chance for a rest, hence they are very rarely contested. Good on the Warriors for having a go.

I'd like to see contested scrums. It's become a joke when you have backs 'packing' in to scrums and forwards in the backline.
I'm waiting for the time a coach works this out and:
1. Directs his forwards to push over the backline pack, and
2. Directs his halfback to kick over the top of the forward backline and have their speedy backs chase the kick. It's the easiest way to score a try, yet we almost never see it.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-teams-told-its-all-right-to-push-in-scrums-20140714-zt786.html

Why, @Alan ?

@Stevo I loved that push over by the warriors to .. as a novelty. Contested scrums became such a blight that each one turned into a wrestling match, was packed and fell apart 3-4 times before the ref finally gave a penalty. Even then no one could agree on which team should get the penalty. Eah scrum consumed 5 mins of mind numbing stupidity.

Think you can get pissed off now .. wait to you lose a game because of a scrum penalty .. that you think should have gone for you rather than against you.

Best change they ever made to the game since telling the ruggie union boys to f,,, off.

Contested scrums did become something of a joke. But these days they are just as bad because of the amount of backs who pack into one (which is why it was refreshing on Friday night to see Matty Ballin packing in at hooker and Jamie Buhrer packing in at lock.....in the same scrum).

That's a novelty these days though as more often than not the hooker is locking the scrum. How many times did Robbie Farah pack in at hooker on Friday night? Not many, most times I saw him he was packing in at lock. How often do we see Scam Smith, the 'so-called' best hooker in the game packing in at lock? Nine times out of 10 you know when the hooker packs in at lock its because of their passing skills and you know that it will be he and not the halfback who gets the ball out to the backline.

As for pushing in scrums.....we should see more of it. When I began playing front row in juniors way back when, there were two main things drummed unto us. How to form a tight scrum, and to push in the scrum...make the opposition lose ground and possibly the ball.

Unfortunately though its the way the game is going these days. Lock's aren't locks any more. Other than a select few who have ball skills (that group includes players like Gifty, Jamie Buhrer and even the Donkeys Corey Parker), most are out there as an extra battering ram forward. Paul Gallen is a prime example of that. He rarely passes the ball, but takes numerous hitups in the middle like a prop. Its also why $am Burge$$ wears the #13 most weeks. He's out there as another front rower which allows an extra forward on the bench.

Alan said:
@Stevo I loved that push over by the warriors to .. as a novelty. Contested scrums became such a blight that each one turned into a wrestling match, was packed and fell apart 3-4 times before the ref finally gave a penalty. Even then no one could agree on which team should get the penalty. Eah scrum consumed 5 mins of mind numbing stupidity.

Think you can get pissed off now .. wait to you lose a game because of a scrum penalty .. that you think should have gone for you rather than against you.

Best change they ever made to the game since telling the ruggie union boys to f,,, off.

I'm with you Alan, If I wanted to watch scrums being packed and collapsing and then a penalty given for god knows what I'd watch Union.

I don't understand the rule though at the moment. Plenty of times I've seen a team pushing in a scrum and being penalized??? Other times not??

@HoldenV8 the problem with seeing more pushing is that then teams will start to defend against it by pushing back "first" and we are back to collapsed scrums in a heartbeat.

Another reason contested scrums were controversial was the risk of neck injuries, I think the medico's would scream blue murder if they came back.

I don't care who packs into a scrum, I only wish there were more set backline plays put on.

Dangerous if one team pushes and the other team is not expecting it like the warriors did. The last thing the game needs is a collapsed scrum and another broken neck.

Scrums need to be either contested or not contested

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8