Sea eagle Front Row packs a punch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
The 2015 preseason has been a busy one for the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles with players and coaching staff all on the move.

What has been mostly documented since the end of 2014 is the restructuring of the forward pack, most notably, the departure of veterans Jason King, Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart.

Concerns regarding the wealth of experience and fight having left Manly ‘s pack have been feared. However, statistics show that the Manly forwards can hold strong, with new recruits and existing players set to shine in a restructured squad.

The preseason welcomed three new recruits up-front. Veteran prop Willie Mason from Newcastle, Englishman Luke Burgess from South Sydney, and Siosaia Vave from the Cronulla Sharks.

In Willie Mason, the Sea Eagles get a player with over 300 games of experience and leadership. The charismatic forward is a former Clive Churchill medalist, NSW representative, Australian and Tongan international player. Last year with the Knights Mason made 384 tackles, making 176 hit ups totaling 1876 running metres. If there was any doubt over his eagerness to prove doubters wrong, his mic’d up debut for Fox Sports against the Dragons last year was nothing short of enthralling.

Next up, Luke Burgess. The oldest the Burgess quartet, Luke gained most of his experience playing for Leeds Rhinos in English Super League. With the Rhinos, Luke won a Super League Premiership before joining South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2011 to join his brother Sam. Manly fans may have been disappointed to see some experienced hard working forwards leave the Club but they have been replaced by some players with a bigger frame. Luke Burgess comes in a 194cm and weighs 113kg whilst offering a hardness to his game. The eldest of the Burgess clan, Luke made 347 tackles, 1193 running metres and 112 hit ups all in 15 games last season.

Siosaia Vave is also no small unit. The ex-Sharks front rower is 188 cm tall, and weighs a hulking 120kg. As well as playing for Cronulla, he has also spent two years with the Storm’s first team squad where the Melbournians structure of play is of a similar style to the Sea Eagles and should see him ease into Manly’s pack.

Along with these three recruits the Sea Eagles also have some genuine gun forwards at their disposal.

Brenton Lawrence has been the Clubs most consistent front rower over the last two seasons and has being knocking on the door for an Origin call up. With an aging Maroon forward pack and a recent selection in the PM’s XIII over in PNG, the forward could easily break into the side on the back of some more quality performances. At the age of 30, he has a plenty of experience making 657 tackles, 2089 running metres and 132 hit ups in the 2014 season.

Josh Starling had a breakout 2014. At just 24 he was the Club’s most active front-rower, appearing on 26 occasions, making more than 500 tackles, 200 hit ups and over 2000m. His work rate matches his nickname – ‘Diesel’.

Joining him are the likes of Dunamis Lui, Jesse Sene Lefao, James Hasson and Tyson Andrews – all with representative honours to their names so early in their fledgling careers, that all worries regarding the sides front-row depth must surely be put to bed.

I really think we are balanced, have plenty of depth in all areas (even the halves). Given a good smooth club culture and no outside influences like Contract BS, we should be good to go.

Personally I think our pack is much better than last seasons.
Our front row stocks are especially improved. We lost Kingy (sad face), but due to his last few seasons being full of injury he couldn't really have an impact in many games (I'll never forget him sizing up Sammy Burgess in rd 2 though).
We gain Mason, Burgess and Vave. Starling will be improved after his first full season as a starting prop. Lawrence is a weapon. Who knows what Trbojevic can do this season. I know Hasson hasn't been great, but he's 22 and 6'4". If he puts on size and mongrel he could turn out to be a quality prop.
Glenn, who I love, didn't have an impact last season. The only player we need to replace is Watmough. I expect JSL or Lui to replace that aggression and hard running. Both are bigger and from what I've read are killing pre-season (I know, everyone always kills pre-season).
It seems the fighting that plagued the end of our season last year is all but over. Finalise the future of the halves and we just need some luck with injuries.
TL;DR, get excited.

Definitely a stronger and bigger forward pack and bench in 2015.
Our halves and backline will enjoy playing behind the following;
Starting
8. Josh Starling
9. Matt Ballin
10. Luke Burgess
11. BJ Lawrence
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

Bench – 1st Option (Top 8 Opponents)

14. Willie Mason
15. Sione Vave
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Jake Turbo

Bench – 2nd Option (bottom 8 opponents)
14. Willie Mason
15. Sione Vave
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Jayden Hodges

Dunamis, JSL, Hassan, Sao, Uiti Baker……covering injuries and reps.

I would have mason starting I think he brings more enthusiasm and mongrel. Don't discount the importance of that

Starting
8. Josh Starling
9. Matt Ballin
10. Luke Burgess
11. BJ Lawrence
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Willie Mason
15. Sione Vave
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Jake Turbo

14. Willie Mason
15. Sione Vave
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Jayden Hodges

also I don't think Lawrence is a second rower. We have a lot of good second row options I don't think starling pushes him to the second row to push a talented second rower to the bench

Great tto see some genuine size options for this year. Even in the back row Feliti weighs in at 108 kg. It should ensure we can compete against the notoriously big packs of the Dogs, Rabbits and Cows.

Starting
8. Josh Starling
9. Matt Ballin
10. Luke Burgess
11. BJ Lawrence
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Willie Mason
15. Sione Vave
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Jake Turbo

14. Willie Mason
15. Sione Vave
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Jayden Hodges

What about Tyson Andrews?

Starting
8. Josh Starling
9. Matt Ballin
10. Luke Burgess
11. BJ Lawrence
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Willie Mason
15. Sione Vave
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Jake Turbo

14. Willie Mason
15. Sione Vave
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Jayden Hodges

JSL and Lui are in the 17 for sure. I don't think we will see Vave this year - back-up only.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2