Sea Eagles - a new ground

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles Terrorist

Reserve Grader
If this has been raised before, apologies.

Fast forward 10 - 15 years (call it vision?)

Brookvale Oval has been abandoned, sold off or redeveloped for housing.

The Manly Sea Eagles and Warringah Rats share a purpose designed, 25,000 seater, undercover parking, modern, comfortable stadium on the site on Pittwater Road. Local soccer and perhaps the occasional Sydney FC game can be played as a promotion for that code.

It might feature retractable seats at ground level so a running track for athletics can be held. Schools in the area can use it for all manner of sports. There's a trining arena too.

Nearby are tennis courts, gymnasium, open parking, accommodation, beaches and all the ammenities needed for a modern sporting precinct on the Northern Beaches.

It's in a transport corridor, not overly congested with built up housing so the neighbours are on-side and the community get a first class venue, accessible and comfortable.

Both sides of government support it because it's a win/win. Local government love it becuase they are thinking of the future. Voters love it.

The Sea Eagles remain a focus of the northern beaches. We get a ground we can be proud of and most importantly. more importanlty, the next generation grow up with modern facilities rather than our quaint ground that we love now, but is riddled with problems.

Is there a down side?

Stevo said:
Where is this magical sports groud situated?

I think he's referring to Rat Park at Warriewood. Potentially it's a great place to build a major sports venue. There is a ton of space there.

It won't happen because it is too close to residential areas. My view is that we now represent the "North of the Harbour" area and a purpose built facility at St Ives Showground would be a winner.

It is far enough away from residential dwellings, plenty of land and a good sized arterial road out the front. Sure, there would need to be some coniderations to running buses from Chatswood, perhaps Hornsby and the peninsula, but I think it would work well.

Crusher_Cleal said:
It's all about the $'s. Public or private money?

Could be a combination. If the council can raise funds by the sale or re-purpose of Brookvale park, those funds can be applied.

Its not a big detail. This is the sort of deal that once it was taken on board, a good negotiator would be able to make the right sort of arrangement.

Don't get bogged in detail at this stage - is the Vision a good idea?

We can't get money to perform the necessary upgrades at Brookvale, getting the money to turn Rat Park (or St.Ives showground for that matter) into a top class sporting venue is a pipe-dream.

I think the reason funding is hard to come by at Brooky is partly because there is so much opposition to any development there. Another venue may have different luck.

Wolfpack said:
We can't get money to perform the necessary upgrades at Brookvale, getting the money to turn Rat Park (or St.Ives showground for that matter) into a top class sporting venue is a pipe-dream.

I disagree. I don't live in the area, but has any sort of council survey club research or community interest been looked into? Where there's a will . . .

I like the idea. Christina Kirch would probably love it! But my understanding is that Brookvale couldn't be sold for housing because Jane Try left the land (or at least part of it) to be used as a community sporting facility.

Stevo said:
I think the reason funding is hard to come by at Brooky is partly because there is so much opposition to any development there. Another venue may have different luck.

I remain skeptical. Governments like to ignore the Northern Beaches.

Eagles Terrorist said:
I disagree. I don't live in the area, but has any sort of council survey club research or community interest been looked into? Where there's a will . . .

Plenty of events like the Breakfast at Brookie & discussions at council meetings, majority of which have been remarkably pro-MWSE. Warringah council doesn't have the funds to do it on their own though, we need state or federal backing for it to happen.

The biggest hurdle is the different councils. If Warringah Council sold land on the current site, they sure as hell aren't going to give any of it to Pittwater Council to redevelop Rat Park. Nor are they going to give it to Manly council to redevelop Manly Oval. I love the idea of playing out of a redeveloped Rat Park (though I would certainly miss Brookie) but I just can't see it happening.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Let's change it to backyard footy 3 a side They play a round robin in different peoples yards including obstacles like the hills hoist

If the council had half a clue the would sell the naming rights off the one of the banks and use that money towards improving brookvale.

Daniel said:
Let's change it to backyard footy 3 a side They play a round robin in different peoples yards including obstacles like the hills hoist

Take out the hoist, remove the woodpile in the ingoal & napalm the shrubbery protruding into the 40 metre zone and its on.

Daniel said:

Having a hills hoist in the middle of the field will undoubtedly bring back memories of some tackling styles from the 70s when the hills hoist inevitably takes some player's head off...

The other problem with brookie being up graded is private money can't be used for some reason.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2