Sea Eagles chairman: "Tragedy" if Watmough leaves club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Two senior Sea Eagles board members says they hope star forward Anthony Watmough ends up playing out his whole career at Manly.

It was revealed that Narrabeen Sharks product has been given permission by Manly to test the market for the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

Read More

Two senior Sea Eagles board members says they hope star forward Anthony Watmough ends up playing out his whole career at Manly.

It was revealed that Narrabeen Sharks product has been given permissi
Anthony+Watmough+Cuv65Xs5kh2m1.jpg
on by Manly to test the market for the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

"He is a life member of the club and it would be a tragedy if he didn't play out his career with Manly," sad Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn.

"It would be a real surprise if we weren't able to retain him, we want to retain him."

Penn said it added something extra that "Choc" was born and bred on the northern beaches.

"He has shown tremendous loyalty to the club and the club has shown loyalty to him so it has been reciprocated," Penn said.

"It would be incredibly disappointing to see him playing in anything other than maroon and white."

Fellow board member Phil Sydney said "Choc" has been with Manly his whole life and it would be nice if he was to stay.

"He is one of the senior players, he has contributed so much to the team and so Sydney was commenting after it was revealed that Narrabeen Sharks product has been permission by Manly to test the market for the 2016 and 2017 seasons.

"He has been an Origin player, played for Australia and will always be a club legend in that sense," Sydney said.

Watmough has added so much to the winning culture at Manly no one would really like to see him leave."

Watmough's current contract expires at the end of next year and he set to earn $950,000 in 2015.

That's because he is on a back ended deal after deferring the payment of money owed to him in previous seasons to help the club due to salary cap pressures.

Sydney said until Watmough and has manager get back to the club nobody knows what will happen.

"I think everything has been put on hold, no one wants to be in any sorts of negotiations during the finals series," he said..

There have been reports that Watmough has been unhappy with the circumstances surrounding Glenn Stewart's imminent departure from the club at the end of this year.
Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-want-to-keep-anthony-watmough-for-life-but-grant-him-permission-to-look-elsewhere/story-fngr8iii-1227037494676

RE: Sea Eagles chairman: "Tragedy" if Watmough leaves club

They're making all the right noises.

Yes I thought the board had been uncharacteristically quiet.
Now on the eve of the finals they are piping up, right on cue.
Smells like another premiership to me. ;)

"He has shown tremendous loyalty to the club"
"It would be incredibly disappointing to see him playing in anything other than maroon and white."
Fellow board member Phil Sydney said "Choc" has been with Manly his whole life and it would be nice if he was to stay.
"He is one of the senior players, he has contributed so much to the team"
"He has been an Origin player, played for Australia and will always be a club legend in that sense," Sydney said.
Watmough has added so much to the winning culture at Manly no one would really like to see him leave."

I'd have thought Glenn is all of the above as well.

bones said:
"He has shown tremendous loyalty to the club"
"He is one of the senior players, he has contributed so much to the team"

I'd have thought Glenn is all of the above as well.

He certainly is, but if I were a hard headed businessman I'd have to add "increasingly out with injury" to the equation.

Glen Stewart hasn't played well for us since 2011. Think about it and respond accordingly. He has been a great player for us and will be a great player for souths injury permitting.

If 1 thing can be learnt from the Gift debacle it is that we needed to hear more of this kind of thing from the Board at that time. So whilst disappointing that didn't happen then, we should be happy to be hearing positive noises coming out now.

Yes, the silence from the board during the Gift fiasco was very disappointing, especially for the senior playing group. They handled it badly and caused all this unnecessary angst.

But what do you say? Anyone could see it was a case of not throwing money at a bloke who has played his best games for us. And yeah that money is going to go to younger blokes and maybe a bit of it will go into a retention plan for the best halves in the game. It's just how the game works. We paid BK money I bet he wishes he would have commanded at the knights but he was at the end of his career. We don't need to do that now. We have ample back rowers and an insulting offer to gift is insulting. I am sure the club sat down with him and said we can't offer you anything that your stature in the game warrants. They didn't say we are not offering you anything because we think you are crap. They didn't say how about you go around for the next couple years on two hunj a season.

This whole failing to offer him a contract is a fabrication by a bloke who is tight with the family and wishes he was a bulldogs media manager

Yep - pay Gift some big money and keep him two years and let two or three young blokes go to other clubs. Sad to say but footy under a cap is a tough juggle. If I had to choose one player to keep between Gift and Choc, it would be Choc. If Choc does leave, good luck to him, though I doubt he will find life as good elsewhere as at Manly.

I don't think it was the boards decision not to offer Gift a contract. Some conspiracy theorists believe Gift wasn't offered a contract because of his friendship with Zorba. But for me it was just a football decision and the people in charge of that decision just made the call that they couldn't offer him what he wanted, or they decided to go forward they had to keep that spot open for someone else. It may or may not be the right call but I honestly believe the people who made that decision did so in the best interests of the club in their eyes in terms of the football teams future. Not because of some sort of vendetta or because they didn't want to keep him as a one club player.

I'm sure posting this will not be a surprise to anyone.

1. While the club may have been able to find the money to sign Gift AND all the up and comers, there's such a thing as the salary cap and we're not the Scum, Ponies or Rorters.

2. Even if the club had've made an offer and Gift accepted it, it still had to be one the NRL considered to be a reflection of his worth or it would have all been a futile exercise.

3. The club maybe should have been more communicative during the whole saga, but this would have done zero to alter the result.

4. The only solution would have been for Greenturd and the other idiots at the NRL to adjust the allowance for long serving players. And we all know what the odds of that were.

So can we please stop rehashing the same discussion ? Even though I wish he wasn't, Gift is gone. And Choc may go too (although I'm betting he won't). That's his decision. But if anyone thinks this is going to see Manly experience a period of little success, you underestimate the culture in this club.

Now. We've got a comp to win. Let's do it.

Hardly a tragedy, its the reality of playing within the constraints of the Salary Cap. :cool:

The damage they sustain to their bodies is the real tragedy.
Seeing the old Legends limping around and with arthritic hands is sobering indeed.
Choc's bicep has been sacrificed for Manly :angel:

Choc has been given a 10 week head start on testing the Market.
He may end up with the extras from another Club, to make up for his salary sacrifice over the past seasons :)

A nice touch by Manly to acknowledge Choc's career now :sleepy:

FFS it's time to let the Gifty departure go. There is nothing that can now be done, it's spilt milk for crying out loud.

Maybe they have learnt from the Gifty departure and are trying to do everything they can not to repeat it.

Carrying on about just feeds the media TROLLS!!!!

ENOUGH ALL READY!!!!!!!!

HappilyManly said:
The damage they sustain to their bodies is the real tragedy.
Seeing the old Legends limping around and with arthritic hands is sobering indeed.
Choc's bicep has been sacrificed for Manly :angel:
A very good point HM. Most players are not on the big bucks and they earn their dosh the hard way. A career in top grade may not last very long at all, but the longer it lasts the greater the physical toll.

Therefore I don't begrudge those who get an opportunity to advance themselves financially, the Lussicks, Hoppas and the like. Nothing is surer than that when the club doesn't need you any more they will cut you, so I have no problem with players looking out for their own interests as well.

Nevertheless it is one of the great things about Manly that so many great players have wanted to spend so much time here, because that continuity really strengthens the club's culture.

I agree with @bones that it a tragedy (in a footy context) that G.Stewie is leaving. I can't stand the thought of him wearing a bunnies jersey.

Although, I can see the difficult position the club was in with the salary cap and future retention plan.

As @simon64 pointed out, Greenturd and the other idiots could have stepped in and stopped this from happening.
We have to remember that the Manly club pleaded their case to the NRL re. this matter.

As a female supporter my brain is more emotional than analytical and as unrealistic as it is, I want to hang on to all our legends forever, as they are forever part of our last decade of success.

Time to send Gift out with a trophy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4