Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey fails on Tony Williams tactics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tookey

First Grader
TONY "T-Rex" Williams is the most fearsome sight in the NRL. Too bad Manly coach Geoff Toovey is not using him properly.

On Friday night, I kept looking for T-Rex when the Sea Eagles were desperately trying to peg back the Bulldogs.

At times he looked tired in the second half in a final played at a frantic pace.

Last year under Des Hasler the big man averaged 51 minutes per game. This year it's gone up to 80 minutes.

Too often he's taking flat passes without winding up and running on to the ball with 100 per cent force.

A man of T Rex's size was never going to be an endurance athlete.

He is built to be kept fresh for shorter, sharper and more explosive bursts.

Surely it would be more advantageous to have him at full pace, full strength and full impact for 50 minutes.

He would have the energy to stand deeper and charge on to the football.

I know in State of Origin under Ricky Stuart's coaching, the plan was to use him for 40 minutes.

What rams home the point is that Manly have a real problem in the second half of their games.

In their past four matches, the defending premiers have lost the second halves by a combined total of 44-10.

That's 10-0 against the Bulldogs, 12-6 against the Titans, 6-0 against the Broncos and 16-4 against the Knights.

I'm sure Toovey could fix the problem if T-Rex had less game time.

He needs him fresh and running at full bore when the opposition is tiring in the second half.

There would be nothing more daunting for exhausted opponents than to see 120kg of bone and muscle warming up on the sideline for one more explosive spell.

T-Rex showed how much he means to the Sea Eagles on Friday night when he was involved in both their tries. But it all happened in a two-minute period in the first half from an offload and a tackle bust in the 27th and 29th minutes.

At that stage he could have been interchanged. Fatigue saw him cough up the ball three times.

Overall, Toovey has done a tremendous job with Manly but he did inherit a great footy team that, on paper, is still the best in the competition.

They will have under-achieved if they don't make the grand final.

On form from over the weekend, Manly will have their hands full against the Cowboys on Friday night.

Maybe Toovey should look at how Neil Henry uses his battering ram Jason Taumalolo from the bench.

Taumalolo made 95m from 34 minutes against the Broncos.

The previous week I saw him score by charging straight through one of the game's toughest and most reliable defenders, Jeremy Smith, at Shark Park - something very few players can do.

It happened in the second half when Taumalolo was fresh and Smith was fatigued.T-Rex could do the same to the Cowboys next week - but only if Toovey uses him more strategically.

There are plenty of posts on here over the last month that say what Rothfield has repeated. T-Rex is not an 80-minute player. With four forwards on the bench it isn't a problem. We need impact.

Tbh I have to agree.

There is no question that Tooves has done an outstanding job, but this and not picking Rose are his mistakes imo.

He shouldn't be playing 80 but he was dropping ball and standing flat at the start of the game against the Dogs..... maybe Toov's leaves him out there cause he never seems to have tried that much, and as much as it entertains me he drops the ball everytime he goes for the big fend/throw.

MadMarcus said:
Tbh I have to agree.

There is no question that Tooves has done an outstanding job, but this and not picking Rose are his mistakes imo.

There have been two very important games in Toovey's career. One being the World Club Challenge. The other being the 1st semi-final. On both occasions, I feel he had been well and truly out coached.

That being said, he has done very well in getting us into fourth. It's just about taking advantage of that position when it matters.

tookey said:
If only 2V read ST he would find out where we went wrong and be able to fix it.

This is why Des is still ahead of Tooves. Des reads ST, and even posts under the name "Technical Coach". :p

Toovey has access to plenty of other smart people as part of his brains trust, including Matt Parish for starters. I assumed part of the reason for the long minutes was to bring his match fitness up after he had missed so many matches.

This Toovey denigrating in the Media, will only serve to forge the Team around their novice coach:mad:

The reason T-rex is out there for 80 minutes, as previously articulated by Tooves, is to get his match fitness up.
T-rex had a 3 month absence due to suspension and injury, so lost all pre-season conditioning.

Perhaps, the use of Vic in place of Rose for the last two weeks was to ensure that the kiddie had first grade exposure going into the finals.:idea:
The likelihood of a forward being injured is always present.
So Vic would have had to come in without having a few tough hit outs.

T-rex, the onus is on you to push it up!

In Tooves We Trust :angel:

Yep. His spot on. He lumbering attempt to prevent the try under the posts is an indication that he mentally does not play 80 minutes of football despite his fitness...that's irrelevant

His concentration level is something to be desired. Reminds me of myself. I should be working but I'm posting on this forum instead.

Absolute garbage. T-Rex was playing 80 minutes towards the back end of every match last year. And perhaps he needs to go back and watch those games again because there were times even then where he was equally as anonymous as he was for parts on Friday. Ridiculous to suggest it has something to do with the coaching.

Maybe it was also Toovs fault that Killer and Joe got injured as well?

I'm sure that when he moved him to the forwards, Des had him playing 80mins as well barring injury like in the grand final

Rothfield couldn't coach a turd out of his arse and into the toilet

Masked Eagle said:
Absolute garbage. T-Rex was playing 80 minutes towards the back end of every match last year. And perhaps he needs to go back and watch those games again because there were times even then where he was equally as anonymous as he was for parts on Friday. Ridiculous to suggest it has something to do with the coaching.

Maybe it was also Toovs fault that Killer and Joe got injured as well?

Exactly. Reckon any non-Manly fan (or even the 'expert' Rothfield) can detail a T-Rex moment for Manly at the backend of last year? A match winning moment? How about a game changer? What about a try or two from the big man? Try assist? A pass? Any particular run?

The way these guys are talking up T-Rex, you'd think he'd have a massive season highlights package and all the kids will be replicating a 'T-Rex Moment' that didn't just involve running at the line, pushing one bloke away and getting four piling on to him.

Kiwi Eagle said:
I'm sure that when he moved him to the forwards, Des had him playing 80mins as well barring injury like in the grand final

Rothfield couldn't coach a turd out of his arse and into the toilet
Last year:
GF 47 mins, 7 runs for 40m, 12 tackles
PF 80 mins, 11 runs for 80m, 13 tackles, 1 offload, 1 penalty
SF 80 mins, 15 runs for 128m, 24 tackles, 1 offload, 1 error
Rd26, 59mins off bench, 11 runs, 13 tackles, 1 offlaod, 1 linebreak, 1 error
Every previous game to rd 22 he came off the bench, thats when he returned from injury

This year for comparison:
SF 80 mins, 18 runs for 154m, 15 tackles, 2 offloads, 1 linebreak, 3 errors
Rd26 80 mins, 12 runs for 118m, 9 tackles, 1 offload, 1 error
Rd25 80mins, 15 runs for 132m, 23 tackles, 1 offlaod, 1 error

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9