Sea Eagles in hunt for new prop as merry-go-round fires up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tookey

First Grader
Expected to move ... Manly prop Brent Kite.

THE expected departures of Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington to Cronulla could pave the way for Manly prop Brent Kite to join Wests Tigers next season.

While all parties were yesterday denying speculation of the NRL's latest player merry-go-round, the Herald was told that player agents have been advised that the Sea Eagles are looking for a new prop next season.

The Sharks' signing of Ryan and Heighington is also expected to result in the club releasing Kiwis international Jeremy Smith to join Newcastle next season. Liam Fulton and Lote Tuqiri are also expected to re-sign with the Tigers.

Both Manly and Wests Tigers are rumoured to have salary cap problems, with NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert reportedly refusing to register Sea Eagles fullback Brett Stewart's new contract until the club resolves the problem.

A Manly official told the Herald that Kite was under contract next season, while the Sharks denied they had yet signed Ryan or Heighington.

However, it is understood that deals with both Tigers players are close to being finalised - much to the frustration of disappointed teammates, who were unhappy last year that the club released Bryce Gibbs and Andrew Fifita to make way for the signing of Adam Blair.

Captain and hooker Robbie Farah has also been linked to Parramatta but he is expected to remain at the Tigers for next season at least.

Speculation was rife a year ago about Ryan and Heighington joining Penrith this season but both stayed with the Tigers.

Heighington, now the English representative lock, was on contract with the Tigers until the end of the next season but the club is understood to have baulked at offering him an extension, given the failure of the squad to reach the finals this year.

Heighington was approached about a three-year deal with Cronulla, which he has clearly found difficult to ignore given his future at the Tigers was clouded.

Ryan's impending departure is peculiar given his announcement on The Footy Show during the season that he had agreed to a new deal with the Tigers. Yet that deal was never formalised, and with Heighington's future in the air, it appears certain it will not be.

Heighington and Ryan are good friends and are both popular members of the Tigers, which means the playing group will be hit hard by the departures, a year after Gibbs and Fifita left for Cronulla.

Ryan's manager Wayne Beavis maintained he had signed ''no contract with Wests Tigers'', but that does appear to be a formality.

The Tigers are expected to announce that Tuqiri has agreed to a new deal with the club, which will ensure that his NRL career does not end with a broken arm.

Fulton is also believed to be close to finalising a new deal to remain at the Tigers beyond next season.

Meanwhile, Manly prop Jason King will be named today for Friday night's preliminary final, despite failing to finish the match against North Queensland due to a shoulder injury. King was forced from the field with the same injury during the previous week's loss to the Bulldogs.

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey yesterday admitted there was a silver lining to his side being forced to play against North Queensland last weekend. ''It was actually a good thing for us, we ended up finding some form against North Queensland, and I think that will stand us in good stead for Melbourne.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sea-eagles-in-hunt-for-new-prop-as-merrygoround-fires-up-20120917-262ot.html#ixzz26nVM4ytd

The manly club needs to make a proper statement on this one

Kite is a Manly legend, 1 of the key men in bringing us back from the depths to the position we are today. Not only on the park where the Churchill medal speaks for itself, but off the park where he is a great person for the young blokes to look up to and the fans to connect with

If the club know that they are moving him on, and deny the fans the proper opportunity to farewell a club legend, that isn't on

Kiwi Eagle said:
The manly club needs to make a proper statement on this one

Kite is a Manly legend, 1 of the key men in bringing us back from the depths to the position we are today. Not only on the park where the Churchill medal speaks for itself, but off the park where he is a great person for the young blokes to look up to and the fans to connect with

If the club know that they are moving him on, and deny the fans the proper opportunity to farewell a club legend, that isn't on

I was going to try and add something, but I can't. Nailed it.

Yes. We should be told if this is the case so that we can give him a suitable, rousing send-off. He is a terrific player, and I understand an even better family man.
What a shame if salary cap pressures forced him to be traded to a rival Sydney club.
It makes me look back on all the argy-bargy in trying to retain T-Rex. What hope did we have? If he had stayed we'd have not been able to keep at least two of our true champions.

Agreed KE. If Kitey is being shipped out we to know prior to the Grand Final so he gets a farewell from the fans that is fitting for a champion of the club!

One of the most likeable players we (MWTS) have been involved with. I remember in New Zealand in 2010 a couple of the young blokes on the trip had paled up with two of the young blokes from NZ. At the post match Function they are sitting on a 4 seater lounge and in rolls Kitey, say's "move over" and down he sat and chatted with them for about 30 minutes...the smiles on their faces said it all!!

He's always the first in to see us and the last to leave...absolute champion of the fans!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
One of the most likeable players we (MWTS) have been involved with. I remember in New Zealand in 2010 a couple of the young blokes on the trip had paled up with two of the young blokes from NZ. At the post match Function they are sitting on a 4 seater lounge and in rolls Kitey, say's "move over" and down he sat and chatted with them for about 30 minutes...the smiles on their faces said it all!!

He's always the first in to see us and the last to leave...absolute champion of the fans!!
Would be very very sorry to see him go, both as a player and person.

Yeah Pete, remember in Leeds, it was Kitey kicking the ball to us in the stands...he just loves the fans and has a great interaction with them!!

A jihad on the independant commission for forcing clubs to lose senior players like Kite. The long term players allowance needs to be increased substantially so clubs don't lose players like Kite

Why would we be looking for a new prop next season ? Why don't we just hang onto the one we have.

Totally agree with all the sentiments about Kite. He's a Sea Eagle legend and if he is leaving due to cap issues he deserves and champion's send off.
A question I know nothing about: Is it possible for Kite to sign a new contract - paid lower for next year and then repay him when the cap increases? If this is possible maybe it's what Manly is planning.
Love your work Kitey!

Chip and Chase said:
Why would we be looking for a new prop next season ? Why don't we just hang onto the one we have.

The answer would be the net transfer result between Kite & the mystery prop. That is the most likely reason that it hasnt been finalised yet & that we cant be told about it.

All hinges on what amount of BKs contract would be fully funded by the Tigers and then the net decrease in cap after the new (cheaper) prop is signed on.

T

Kitey just on Ch10 'Im staying,I'm staying':angel:

Also showed Bone's Return of The Matai!

Stevie said that he asked the Boys if he should change his tackling style,they all said NO:p
'They love me for who I am,and for the way I play the game' :heart:

http://tensport.com.au/video.htm?movideo_m=226526

Let's quell the Storm!

HappilyManly said:
Kitey just on Ch10 'Im staying,I'm staying':angel:

Also showed Bone's Return of The Matai!

Stevie said that he asked the Boys if he should change his tackling style,they all said NO:p
'They love me for who I am,and for the way I play the game' :heart:

Let's quell the Storm!

Great news if Kite's staying but raises the question who is going and what's happening with the cap?

Very happy that Stevie's going to be playing like Stevie this weekend.

Toovey has got the right balance out of Kite in relation to ball playing and go forward this year and i would argue it's probably been one of Kites best seasons at Manly.

Personally i feel Hasler had Kite ball playing too often to the detriment of our go forward. This is not Kites fault as he was following orders and was the reason why i never knocked his ballplaying(from Kites perspective) as you could tell he was being asked to play this way---Toovey has a better balance in my opinion though.

From better go forward when it counted to strong ball and all tackles up the middle keeping it tight and a more selective balanced passing game Kite has had a great year.

Without a doubt one of his very best seasons. The word on his departure has been strong for a long time but I seriously hope it is wrong. The only acceptable option for me is for Kitie to do a Beaver and head to the UK after his NRL career is finished with Manly. I know the club appreciates just what he brings the entire playing group but I hope he doesn't play for any other team here. Next year he will go through the 200 game mark for us.

if i remember correctly there was a story on kite,possibly last year, which also mentioned the positive effect he has on all the younger islander players. that is something which would be very hard to replace.

He is a real leader, no doubt at all. Joe also plays an important role in this regard. I recall a moment, I think as the players were leaving the field early in the season. Kite had his arm around Tafua's shoulders in encouragement, it may have been a game where the young bloke made an error or two. You only have to see Jorge now to see the results of such positive mentoring.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7