Sea Eagles in league-union hybrid match

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly Sea Eagles in league-union hybrid match with Marlins
By Dean Ritchie | July 19,
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24040385-5006066,00.html

A HISTORIC hybrid rugby league-union match between the Manly Sea Eagles and the Manly Marlins could be a reality next year, with both clubs holding preliminary discussions about the venture.

The Saturday Daily Telegraph can reveal the game could be played at Brookvale Oval under a set of combined rules drawn up by officials from both codes.

If it comes to fruition, the match could pit Wallabies George Smith and Cliff Palu against Manly forwards Anthony Watmough, Brent Kite and Josh Perry.

Marlins coach Phil Blake - a former rugby league star - has spoken to Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler about the idea.

"I have spoken to Des about this but it is only early on in discussions," Blake said last night.

"Who knows in years to come whether there will be two codes?

"We could play it at the end of the cricket season when people are getting a little tired of cricket.

"I'm sure it would create a lot of interest and a lot of competition between the two codes."

It is anticipated the match would attract interest from television stations, with some profits from the game going to charity.

"It could well be a one-off and obviously we would have to sit down and talk about the laws," Blake said.

"There would be intrigue from both sides.

"I'm sure the league boys would want to know what it's like to play union and the union boys would be no different.

"They both watch the other sport on TV. We'd try and make the game as fast as possible."

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said the Sea Eagles would support the match.

"It is certainly worth investigating further," Mayer said.

"We would still recognise our trial matches but, if everything fell into place, we'd certainly look at the opportunity.

"This is the kind of idea that we have to look at to generate more revenue.

"I think it would attract a good crowd and there would be a lot of spectator interest to see how the game would work."

NRL chief executive David Gallop did not reject the proposal - but was not overly supportive either.

"I'd be surprised if Manly would want to risk injuries to their players in an extra trial game, but I will liaise with them to discuss the proposal.

"It would also be very difficult to have a mixture of the rules that would be fair on the league players and union players."

Eels CEO Denis Fitzgerald - who has publicly claimed league should consider merging with union - added: "I would certainly watch such a game. I think it sounds like a good idea."

hmmm, it could be interesting however, I do agree a bit with Gallop that Manly would risk possible injuries to it's players.

Gallop is an idiot with no idea on how to move the game forward. He sold out to Fox et al and now he rains on an idea that could promote the league in the peninsula.

fitzy says its a good idea

i dont like it :p

hahaha seriously if built as the battle of the penisula it would be great

DSM5 link said:
Gallop is an idiot with no idea on how to move the game forward. He sold out to Fox et al and now he rains on an idea that could promote the league in the peninsula.

Maybe so about Gallop. I take your thoughts about him into consideration but I'm still not too keen on risking injury to our players just before the season kicks off just for a promotional game. Maybe it should be played at season's end rather than at season's start.

Whilst I think it is a good idea, I can not see how the rules would work?

What do you do have 3 tackles then you get to run it for up to 5 minutes with regular rucks until you lose it or the 5 minutes is up?

I just cant see how you could blend the 2 fairly.

It isn't like AFL/"Gay lick" Gaelic football where the games are essentially same bar the goals and goal keeper and shape of the ball. There are way too many differences in the strategy and  general play

Exactly. They tried something similar in England in the late 90s (I think it was Wigan versus Bath or something, not 100% on the teams).

Basically played modified rules that favoured each team in either half, and Wigan won the league half by about 40 points and exactly the same happened in the rugby half, with Bath dominating. The games are getting closer to each other all the time - which is making it easier for players, especially backs, to switch between the two.

But the concept of a hybrid game (as appealing as it is because it'd be great to see the best players in both comps going at each other) is totally impractical and not viable at all.

I think it will be another way to raise a bit of cash via gate takings, TV rights, promotion etc.

You can bet your life we will not see any of our 'blue chips' playing

Their two different codes leave it at that. Dam if i would like to see the club i support possibly get injuries from it. Or worse still a season ending injury imagine losing either B.Stewart or Orford before the season even kicks off.

Orford wouldn't be a loss.  Wheel is correct though, we'd probably play the bulk of our reggies.  It'd be fun to see.

willstyles link said:
Exactly. They tried something similar in England in the late 90s (I think it was Wigan versus Bath or something, not 100% on the teams).

Basically played modified rules that favoured each team in either half, and Wigan won the league half by about 40 points and exactly the same happened in the rugby half, with Bath dominating. The games are getting closer to each other all the time - which is making it easier for players, especially backs, to switch between the two.

But the concept of a hybrid game (as appealing as it is because it'd be great to see the best players in both comps going at each other) is totally impractical and not viable at all.

They played a half of League and a half of Union.  The Union side won their half by 20 or so and the League side theirs by a LOT more. 

It's a gimmick - and gimmicks are done for a reason - dollars or marketing.

DSM5 link said:
Orford wouldn't be a loss.  Wheel is correct though, we'd probably play the bulk of our reggies.  It'd be fun to see.

Orford wouldnt be a loss???

Did you see the game Friday night?

Orford might not be the best around but he is sure as hell the best we have.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6