Sea Eagles legend Terry Randall’s brush with death

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
FORMER Sea Eagles hardman Terry Randall has spoken about his brush with death after suffering complications from a burst appendix.

One of the toughest and most uncompromising forwards to have ever pulled on a pair of boots “Igor” said it some of the worst pain he has ever experienced.

Read More

FORMER Sea Eagles hardman Terry Randall has spoken about his brush with death after suffering complications from a burst appendix.

One of the toughest and most uncompromising forwards to have ever
Terry-Randall.jpg
pulled on a pair of boots “Igor” said it some of the worst pain he has ever experienced.

“I had an abscess about the size of a lemon growing around the appendix and it burst open and I’ve been in a bad way,” Randall said.

It was when he got home from a wedding on March 10 Randall knew he was in trouble.

“I thought someone had machinegunned me to the ground,” he said.

“It just hit me with pain across the stomach and I knew there was something wrong so we got the ambulance.”

The next morning, he had his appendix removed at Mona Vale Hospital.

“I remember when I was pushed into the theatre with the bright lights and thinking ‘your fate is in other people hands now’,.” he said.

“You hear about how these things nearly kill people and when you go through it you realise what they are talking about.

“It was like a poison all through your stomach.”

Randall spent a week in hospital, came out for three and then was readmitted for another day a half after his wound that stretched from his chest to below his belly button became infected.

“They told me they would start off with keyhole surgery and I could end up with a shark bite in my stomach.

Randall was released from hospital yesterday and is on a course of antibiotics.

“I’m feeling a bit better, I think I’ve got it covered,” he said.

Randall, who runs an excavating business, reckons he will be off work for another couple of weeks.

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-legend-terry-randalls-brush-with-death/story-fngr8iii-1226861417592

Just an other opponent that couldn't beat Randall.

Possibly the greatest Sea Eagle of all time in my opinion.

bob dylan said:

Definitely the toughest and that is no mean feat when you consider others such as Toovey, Boyd, Broadhurst, Watmough, Matai, Reilly, Carroll

Under the Sticks said:
bob dylan said:

Definitely the toughest and that is no mean feat when you consider others such as Toovey, Boyd, Broadhurst, Watmough, Matai, Reilly, Carroll

Randall and Toovey were the toughest I have seen. I did like the Baby Faced Assassin as well.

Tough as teak no prisoners type forward never took a backwards step would tackle all day and a fitness freak , a Manly great from our golden 70s era.

Terry Randall came to our school in Young, NSW in '76. This was a big deal to a young Manly fan. A nice bloke, answered all our silly kid questions.
Get well soon.

Terry William "Igor" Randall (born 5 February 1951 in Sydney, New South Wales) is an Australian former rugby league footballer who played for the Manly-Warringah club in the New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership. He also represented New South Wales and Australia. He began his career in 1970 as a Centre, but soon after in 1972 was switched to the forwards by coach Ron Willey, primarily playing in the Second-row.

He was regarded for his defence, in which is he is noted as one of, if not the, hardest tacklers in the history of the game. In a testament to his toughness and talent, Randall never started one of his 208 games for the Sea Eagles from the bench.

Randall played in the second-row in Manly's first ever NSWRFL premiership win in 1972. He backed that up by also playing in Manly's 1973, 1976 and 1978 premiership wins.

During the 1978 season, Terry Randall became the first player to receive a perfect 10 rating by Rugby League Week in Manly's 19-5 win over St. George at Brookvale Oval.

Terry Randall made an on-the-spot decision to retire from playing immediately following Manly's 8-21 loss to defending premiers, the Parramatta Eels in the 1982 Grand Final, telling his team mates as they left the field that he had simply "had enough" (the decision was so sudden, he had not even discussed it with his wife beforehand). Randall hung his boots on a hook in the Sydney Cricket Ground dressing rooms and never played again.

Long remembered by adoring Sea Eagles fans, signs appeared in the crowd at Brookvale Oval during Manly's 1987 premiership year telling second rower Ron Gibbs to "Give back Randall's jumper" after it was revealed that "Rambo" Gibbs (himself a hard tackler like Igor) would leave Manly at the end of the year to play for the Gold Coast Giants for their inaugural year in 1988.

Representative career

Terry Randall first played for NSW City in 1976, scoring a try in City's 46-0 thrashing of NSW Country at the SCG. He went on to represent City again in both 1977 and 1978.

New South Wales

Randall made his debut for New South Wales from the bench in a rare 10-11 loss to Queensland at the Sydney Sports Ground in 1972. He would go on to represent The Blues 13 times during his career, playing his last interstate game in NSW's 12-11 win over Qld at Lang Park in 1978.

Australia

Randall was selected for the Australian team on the 1973 Kangaroo tour, but a broken thumb suffered on tour restricted him to only five minor games and he did not play in a test. He first represented Australia during the 1975 World Cup, playing in the front row in Australia's 36-8 win over New Zealand at Lang Park, scoring a try on debut. He went on to play in 11 internationals for Australia during his career, the last coming in Australia's 13-12 win over Great Britain at the SCG during the 1977 World Cup.

Randall was selected for the 1978 Kangaroo tour, but pulled out of the squad citing exhaustion after Manly's arduous finals campaign in 1978 where the Sea Eagles played 6 matched in 24 days, including the drawn Grand Final against Cronulla-Sutherland and the replay played just three days later. During the finals series Randall was often only able to take his place on the side after receiving numerous pain killing injections. He later regretted his decision not to tour with the victorious 1978 Kangaroos.

A four time grand final winner with Manly, matching the feats of the two time Churchill Medal winner, Graeme Eadie.

Absolute champions, both of them

wedgetail eagle said:
Terry Randall came to our school in Young, NSW in '76. This was a big deal to a young Manly fan. A nice bloke, answered all our silly kid questions.
Get well soon.

I had a similar experience in 1977 when he came to our local shopping centre with Ray price and someone else more forgettable. Both he and price had faces like smashed crabs and scared the willy's out of us by just looking tough. I already had my hero as a 7 year old (wombat as we share a name) but my brother worshipped Igor and replicated his tackling style every weekend for the Kotara Bears. He used me as a practice bag!

No headbins in those days.....talk about tough!

Don't get me started (oops too late). On Randall and Price, watch the 82 gf, his last game. Price gets him in one of his improvised hip throw tackles which takes all the energy from Igor running at full speed and uses it to drive him into the ground with no delay (he was a brutally efficient s.o.b). First and only time I've ever seen Igor show any reaction to anything an opponent has done to him. He got up groggily and played the ball. 9 out of 10 players would have needed treatment I reckon.

I got to shake Randall's hand when Goldie Walker coached our high school team to a Sea Eagles shield final (we won) and brought him into the manly dressing room. Was surprised how unassuming he seemed/looked. Not how he was with his game face on. Also he wasn't as big as some famous forward greats. He started in the centres and had quite slim, pacey centre's legs even when he bulked up more as his career went on. Amazing timing and commitment were the basis of his defense. It's a tribute to his toughness and spirit how effective he was all the way into the early 80s as he got older and new conditioning regimes meant forwards were bigger faster and more powerful then they had been when he started.

Randall, Boyd, Toovs:
Boyd, more psycho than anything else (but easily the most talented of the 3)

Toovs, as fearless and tough as anyone ever who played (and as strong pound for pound), including Igor.

Randall, a tiger, more under control than Boyd, and consequently more valuable and more successful (also played in a more permissive era for the kind of violent contest between forwards that was being outlawed across the late 70s into the 80s when Boyd was playing).

IMT ask Mick Pitman if Randall had more control. That head kicking he got was plain nasty.

bob dylan said:

Not possibly at all..... THE greatest!!...sorry Bozo

Oh and I did get to live out my childhood dream, he was in Brisbane for a Men of League lunch and I was a minor sponsor. The secretary to the CEO of MOL knew I was a rabbid Manly supporter, and the lovely young girl sat me right next to Terry at the lunch. I had no idea until I arrived there, found my name on the list, and my table, and when I got there I looked at who I was sitting next to.

On the left the card said G Toovey........on the right the card said T Randall.

I nearly shat myself on the spot!!

I am with you Mark. I loved Menzies but it annoys me no end to see his name and Fultons on that stand.

Maybe it should be called Terry Randall Arena once it is updated.

I remember Igor being interviewed after a match against Wests at Lidcombe Oval.

Barry Ross made comment to Igor that Jack Jeffries had 2 or 3 broken ribs after being one the end of a few Randall specials.

Igor doesn't even flinch when he says "Yeah. I heard them crack the first time". Cracked me up. He just kept going back and getting him over and over.

TerryRandall said:
Terry Randall is the man. You can have all your show pony speedsters and think-their-tough wannabes, TR was the one who put the hard-nosed backbone into the manly culture, that lives on today.

I read here about tough guys like Mark Carroll and laugh to myself. Anyone who didn't see him play has no idea how great he was.

OK I will say it now, Terry Randall was the best player that it ever saw. Sorry Bob Fulton and Arthur Beetson, close but no cigar. The Menzies lovers, and I am one, not a shadow on the great Igor.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8