Sea Eagles may abandon Coast deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/oct/04/manly-sea-eagles-may-abandon-sunshine-coast/

Sea Eagles may abandon Coast deal
12:00a.m. 4th October 2008
| By Jon Tuxworth

The Manly NRL club’s frustration at the continued delay of the proposed Stockland Park stadium has officially hit boiling point.

Manly CEO Grant Mayer admitted the club’s partnership with the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles “may be over before one sod is turned” if the facility is not given the official green light within two years.

The NRL grand finalists entered an agreement with the Coast club late last year.

As part of the deal, the Coast’s Queensland Cup outfit, which set to debut in the competition next year, will act as Manly’s feeder club.

However, Mr Mayer revealed the partnership would be placed in jeopardy if the stadium’s construction continued to remain on the backburner.

“We’ve signed a two-year agreement with the Sunshine Coast on the basis the stadium will be available to play in for both trial matches and official games,” he said.

“In a situation where a date (for its construction) hasn’t been confirmed, our agreement with the Sunshine Coast may be over before one sod is turned.”

When asked would the club review the partnership should the stadium be no closer to being built by the end of 2010, Mr Mayer said yes.

“No doubt. The stadium was one key component for entering into the partnership with the Sunshine Coast in the first place,” he said.

“At that stage, Brookvale would be being redeveloped and the need to take games away is high.

“If there’s no stadium (on the Coast), we may have to consider our total position, and we don’t want to do that.

“We love the support we receive up there from the people in general and the (Sunshine Coast) Sea Eagles.

“Our frustration is squarely aimed at the political landscape behind the scenes.”

Manly had hoped to open the stadium with an official NRL fixture next season, but have been forced to abort those plans.

“We can take a maximum of two games a year away from Brookvale under our constitution,” Mr Mayer said.

“Where those two games go is totally at the discretion of myself and the owners.

“With the partnership at the Sunshine Coast it would have been smart to play them up there, whether it be one or two games.

“It’s a frustrating position to be in because we’re keen to come, you guys are keen to have us there, but the political delays have put a kybosh on the result.”

Sunshine Coast CEO Brett Winkler said the club may already have missed out on significant funding.

“Manly clearly told the previous council at Caloundra (before the three main Coast councils amalgamated) of their intentions to build licensed facilities here,” he said.

“That money was set aside and now they’ve spent money elsewhere.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen now.”

But Coast divisional councillor and Stockland Park board member Keryn Jones said the criteria to apply to the federal government for the money only arrived two weeks ago.

“I’m pretty annoyed that we are continually accused of not being supportive,” she said.

-----------------------

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but just letting people know what else is happening outside the hype of the grand final.

having said that its F&*(%$ AWESOME that we won

LONG LIVE MANLY!!!!!! 2008 GF PREMIERS!!!

My Mother-in-law is on the Sunshine Coast and she was telling me two days ago that the deal was looking shaky much to the disappointment of the locals there. Maybe this announcement along with the trophy arriving there today is designed to put pressure on the Council. The amalgamation has seen the area covered by the Council about triple. I don't know the details of who promised what money for what (stadium and club facilities) but this is very poor news for everyone.

ManlyBacker link said:
My Mother-in-law is on the Sunshine Coast and she was telling me two days ago that the deal was looking shaky much to the disappointment of the locals there. Maybe this announcement along with the trophy arriving there today is designed to put pressure on the Council. The amalgamation has seen the area covered by the Council about triple. I don't know the details of who promised what money for what (stadium and club facilities) but this is very poor news for everyone.

The trophy is up here today?

WTF why did no one tell me, are there any players here too?

From MSE

QLD MEMBERS AND FANS - here is a chance to get your photo with the Grand Final Trophy and get to meet Grant Mayer, Scott Penn and the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles Director of Coaching.

10:00am - Maroochydore Airport
Scott Penn and Grant Mayer arrive on the Sunshine Coast to announce the new Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles Director of Coaching

12:30pm - Caloundra RSL
Press call - and a photo opportunity at the Caloundra RSL Club for members and fans

arrrghhh...........

I can't drive down there in time

The amalgamation of the 3 Councils up there has been a shemozzle.  Caloundra had a brilliant Council, Maroochydore was a basket case and Noosa little better.

Unfortunately the Caloundra Mayor was sick when the new mayor was decided so the Sunshine Coast got the clown from Noosa who thinks Noosa IS the Sunshine Coast.

This development is at the southern end of Nicklin way so it is not a priority for the northerners. 

I know they take games to other places Fro.  But, I still don't like it.  Is it OK not to like things?  Maybe you live in Elswhere or Gosford and can get to games there.  I happen to live in Sydney so I like my team to play out of their home ground, unless it's an away game of course. 

I live in Gosford and I HATE IT when we play games there.

The atmosphere just is not right,the crowd do not understand how to support the team and we lose the advantage of playing at Brookvale.

Of course the Mayer quite rightly says that we make a motza when we play their and presumably the Sunshine Coast if the stadium gets built.

As DSM5 says we don't have to like it, but we don't have to agree with it either.

I think its fairly common knowledge where I live DSM.

Its 3 hours either way for me, not just down the road.

Matabele link said:
The amalgamation of the 3 Councils up there has been a shemozzle.  Caloundra had a brilliant Council, Maroochydore was a basket case and Noosa little better.

Unfortunately the Caloundra Mayor was sick when the new mayor was decided so the Sunshine Coast got the clown from Noosa who thinks Noosa IS the Sunshine Coast.

This development is at the southern end of Nicklin way so it is not a priority for the northerners. 

:D

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4