Sea Eagles set for QLD Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Sea Eagles set for Q Cup

31 May 2008
http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/may/31/sea-eagles-set-q-cup/
| By Jon Tuxworth

Wide Bay Rugby League president Danny McGuire sums up the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles’ case for entry into next year’s Queensland Cup with a simple analogy: “The pie’s been baked, it just needs to be taken out of the oven”.

The Queensland Rugby League board will meet on June 19 to discuss the Sea Eagles’ desire to secure a license into the state’s biggest competition.

And McGuire, himself a QRL board member, is highly confident the Sea Eagles have satisfied the criteria needed to be given the green light.

Facilities, playing staff and the ability to meet budget are the main criteria the club will need to meet to be granted its wish.

“It’s like a jigsaw puzzle. You’ve got the players, the facilities, the money, the background, the administration... all the parts are there,” McGuire said.

“There’s no way the QRL will be against it happening, provided they meet those criteria.

“Now those criteria are met, I can’t see any reason why we can’t get a tick in the box.

“The QRL are probably a bit cautious in saying yes because of teams coming and going over the years, but the Sea Eagles have had three years to iron out the bugs.”

With around $500,000 needed to make Queensland Cup entry viable, McGuire estimates the Sea Eagles have that covered, with more to spare.

“I think they’ve got sponsorship equivalent to about $700,000,” McGuire said.

That figure includes coach’s wages provided by NRL affiliate club Manly, its agreement with Stockland Park and internal sponsorship.

Manly will also provide around six or seven players from its squad each week that fail to be selected for the NRL.

“The QRL recognises the need for a strong local competition in this area, because the Sunshine Coast is developing so rapidly and there’s a lot of pressure from other sports,” McGuire said.

“It’s part of the QRL strategy to get a Q Cup team here.”

McGuire added the influx of playing talent from Brookvale, as well as the “come home” factor, would ensure player quality wasn’t a factor.

“We’ve got about a dozen players who come from Wide Bay and Sunshine Coast who have indicated they want to come back here and play in the Q Cup,” he said.

“It’s not as if we won’t have the players, they’ll be there.”

McGuire said a local Queensland Cup presence was critical to ensure young talent doesn’t have to travel to Brisbane to further its games.

“We’ve currently got players here on the Coast who go to school here, but have to play in Brisbane in an under-18 competition,” he said.

“How ridiculous is that?”

I guess that means we wont have a premier league side next year in NSW Cup

From My point of view what would happen would be that we would still remain in the NSW cup competition but it would be considerably weakened.

We are getting the best of both worlds and our up and coming players / 2nd tier get to play in the best second tier competition in Australia.

That is the main reason why i think we have affiliated ourselves with the Sunshine Coast.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4